Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sign Branch to medium $ contract?

The team managed to have a woeful pass rush in 2015 with him, so worst case scenario, they can do it without him as well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There has to be someone who can line up, run 15 yards up field and then get into a 3 point stance again somewhere in FA.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

its all obvious... if its not the minimum let him go ... if you can replace him easily in the 7th let him go 

otherwise he sits the bench and rotates a few times a game

Quote:its all obvious... if its not the minimum let him go ... if you can replace him easily in the 7th let him go 

otherwise he sits the bench and rotates a few times a game
and if he rotates and ens ds with 4-5 sacks we stole a lot of value out of him

Quote:and if he rotates and ens ds with 4-5 sacks we stole a lot of value out of him

Naw id still pass. The roster spot is more value than anything he can offer and that horrible.

Now thinking about it for vet minimum to be on our 90 man roster yes but I doubt he makes it to the final roster.

14 Sacks in 4 seasons? Let him walk and throw money at FA's or rookies.

Quote:Looks like the pickings may be pretty slim for pass rushers in FA.  Yet the Jags need bodies at LEO.  I do not want Clemons on the team in 2016, but going into the season with only Fowler and some rookies would not be wise.  Branch is the right age and knows the system.  He did make a few big plays in 2015.  Could he be the 3rd LEO?  A guy who gets minimal reps but is decent insurance if an injury happens?  What kind of money would be required? 
The pickings may be slim, but in a contract year where players tend to find ways to be more productive, Branch was non-existent.  If the pickings are slim, it would have to be skeletal for this team to bring him back. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I would want HIM to pay the Jags to eat up a Roster Spot. 

He is terrible. 

Sure... he knows the system... and he obviously can't execute in it.

Give me an Undrafted FA in his spot.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Quote:I know you guys don't wanna hear this but he will probably be a Jaguar next season. He's cheap, he's a veteran and knows the system.

Being a veteran and knowing the system sure hasn't helped him thus far.

Pass.

Branch is what you call "dead weight."

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016, 03:00 PM by Deacon.)

Here's my feelings about Branch at this point; I'm not going to put any effort into his roster status one way or another. If he was under contract, I'd let him compete in Training Camp. If his contract is up (and it is), I don't even go to the table.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Why do our fans always want to hang on to average or below average players?
Only a chump boos the home team!

Yeah, no.

Quote:Why do our fans always want to hang on to average or below average players?

Well, to be fair, out of 33 posts in the thread only three even remotely suggest keeping him at the bare minimum salary. 

(I still think he'd be cut before September if they bothered to keep him) 

You could draft Oakman in the 5th and literally have the same player with more upside and less pay
A good loser is a good loser

I'm no fan of Branch.  I used to get ill when I focused on Branch during games.  I just wonder if he might be Plan B or Plan C if the Jags are unable to sign a LEO in free agency. 

Is a 7th round draft pick really going to be better?  Chris Smith couldn't take reps away from Branch.  Cap Capi never even sniffed the practice squad. 

I could see Caldwell spending 2 high draft picks on pass rushers, especially if we don't sign a FA.  But that means Dave has less flexibility on draft day.  We may miss out on a great LB or pass defender or Center because Dave will have to chase pass rushers.  Unfortunately for Dave, after Denver's Super Bowl performance, there will be 31 other teams chasing pass rushers, both in FA and the draft.   

No thanks. Use his spot on an undrafted rookie in camp. With the rookie, at least we don't know what we're going to get.

No. Just no. He knows the system but has failed to produce in it... even in his contract year. The roster spot is more valuable than he has proven to be. Invest in a rookie... or, if a viable alternative comes forth in f/a... but not in Branch; he is a proven loser.

Branch can tackle if he's untouched

What is it with people wanting to keep the trash around here.  The guy sucks plain and simple.  He was handed the job this season and was invisible for 98% of it. 

You couldn't rub two nickles together if you paid him for his production on the field.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]