Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Olivier Vernon

Quote:With so many first round busts not on the roster forming a solid nucleus, this team needs to use free agency to supplement the draft to get the talent to a respectable level. Sure, there is a risk, but I saw on NFL Live yesterday that about 50% of Denver's starting roster for the Superbowl was either free agents or trades. Free agency can be productive.

Exactly. Youre gonna miss a a few guy the key is to hit more than miss. Caldwell has shown me he can hit more than miss and if he can get Vernon that would lead me to believe this will be a high quality pick, especially if he receives this amount of money from the jags.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Rather have Wilkerson. Is he getting out of NY?

Quote:Rather have Wilkerson. Is he getting out of NY?

Stigma traded all of our draft picks for him months ago.

Quote:Id take him. We have 80 million on the books to spend and thats before the cuts of Clemeons, Beadles, and Gerhart which would net us about another 10 million. He's better than anything we currently have and has shown he can get to the qb realitvely good with sacks and constant pressures. We have the money to get this guy and he most likely hasnt reached his potential. In our scheme he would always get 1 on 1 match ups and be a force for us.

Pass rusher dont come cheap even average ones. Hell Vinny Curry put up 19 sacks over the same time frame and got almost 10 million a year.

Go get him Dave

This

Quote:With so many first round busts not on the roster forming a solid nucleus
what
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:That's a pretty steep asking price. Is he worth it?

Worth it is a relative term, he's certainly worth it to a team like the Jaguars, given the historical amount of cap space this team has at it's disposal and the obvious need for a disruptive edge rusher. The Jags cap situation is so healthy they can front-load monster contracts so those monies won't be a hindrance when our productive young players are due for extensions. Olivier Vernon is a 25 year old disruptive edge rusher, those kind of guys almost never make it to free agency, I have to believe he's the #1 target on Dave's list.

Quote:what

Read: the jags don't have a solid nucleus of core players formed of former first round picks, because most of them turned out to be busts.

Quote:Rather have Wilkerson. Is he getting out of NY?

There's been talk out of NY of the Jets franchising him, so I don't see this as a possibility. I'd rather have Malik Jackson anyway.

Per PFF Olivier Vernon had a league high 57 total pressures over the last 8 weeks of the season, you can't judge the impact alone by how many "sacks" one had, disruption is production.

I think the cap will continue to rise by 10 million a year especially with online streaming deals yet to be announced.

14 Million for the best pass rusher on the market will look like a good deal when you see how free agency looks in 3-4 years time

Quote:I think the cap will continue to rise by 10 million a year especially with online streaming deals yet to be announced.

14 Million for the best pass rusher on the market will look like a good deal when you see how free agency looks in 3-4 years time
Exactly

Wilkerson is better than Jackson.

Dave go get Vernon please

Quote:Read: the jags don't have a solid nucleus of core players formed of former first round picks, because most of them turned out to be busts.
Thank you for my translation. Smile

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016, 06:43 PM by Adub28.)

Would prefer to pay a little more to a proven guy in FA rather than panick and overdraft a pass rusher at 5.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

Quote:Why are people against paying the man? What's our other options? We need pass rushers and the only way to get them is to pay for them.
No, he isn't worth it...however I agree with this post

As another has said he's going to get paid by someone and since the Jags can afford it it might as well be them

Quote:Why are people against paying the man? What's our other options? We need pass rushers and the only way to get them is to pay for them.

Another thing to think about is the penalty for not spending enough cash on players.  We're way under the minimum, so we have to either spend it on new players, or by rule we have to dole it out to players already under contract, which would be a complete waste of money.  

I have no doubt...

no matter who we sign...

they will be over paid.

I would pay it.  It has been already stated that the Jags have plenty of cap room.  Plus very few good pass rushers make it onto free agency.  The only reason Vernon will be available is because the Dolphins screwed themselves on that ridiculous Suh contract that will count $28 million against the cap this year.  Pass rushers cost money.  Even you draft a good pass rusher after 4 years, he will be due a big contract.  If I were the Jags, I would front load the contract when they have plenty of room and then in a few years when Robinson, Bortles, etc are due big raises, he will count less against the cap. 

We don't have the luxery right now to pay league standard. In order to pull the talent we need, we have to overpay. Luckily we have a lot of cap space to do so. I wouldn't break the bank on him. But if we have to overpay a little, I'd pull the plug on it.

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!