Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do we let Bryan Walters walk?

Extremely hard to let a productive player go unless it comes to draft picks, but I doubt that happens. Keep him.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Based on his play last season, odds are pretty good other teams are going to be interested in him.  With Greene and Lee healthy he ends up being the odd man out, even as reliable as he was.  I don't see the team putting too much energy into keeping him around, especially if there's better opportunity for him elsewhere.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Hurns is injury prone? He's missed what, 2 games his entire career so far?

How many games did he tough through injury? He might have played but he was dinged for a good portion of the season.

Lee cant stay healthy and Greene has shown some issues too so even assuming hurns is fine you need a good 3rd/4th receiver in todays game and Walters can fill that role. Sure hands for special teams is also a huge plus given that when Greene went down we lost 1 game on a muffed punt.

Quote:Based on his play last season, odds are pretty good other teams are going to be interested in him.  With Greene and Lee healthy he ends up being the odd man out, even as reliable as he was.  I don't see the team putting too much energy into keeping him around, especially if there's better opportunity for him elsewhere.

Precisely.

Other teams are sure to be talking with Bryan, and he very well may command a role as a #2 WR, or at least a steady slot WR role, on another team. Why would he even want to come back here where he's probably a #5 guy and at best a #4 utility receiver? On this roster he'd only have a shot at the #3 role if injuries occur. I do agree he's nice to have as a backup punt returner, but I don't see them spending what would at least amount to a decent free agent contract for a backup punt returner who would likely be a healthy scratch during several games.

'02

I hate little white dudes that run solid routes and catch the football.

Send him to the Pats !!

Quote:Based on his play last season, odds are pretty good other teams are going to be interested in him.  With Greene and Lee healthy he ends up being the odd man out, even as reliable as he was.  I don't see the team putting too much energy into keeping him around, especially if there's better opportunity for him elsewhere.

Did you just say that?   Other than Gabbert, i've never seen a player limp off the field and grimace in pain more so than Lee.  Even when he's "so called" healthy, he appears to be in severe pain after every hit.  He's not going to last here. 

He will basically be fighting for the 5th WR spot. He might actually want to go somewhere else.

I think we should keep him to develop chemistry between him and Bortles.  He's a good PR in a pinch and catches most everything that comes his way.  I like his upside and floor as a multi-tool player.  He shouldn't be expensive to secure for 2 years with a third RFA year.

Quote:Did you just say that?   Other than Gabbert, i've never seen a player limp off the field and grimace in pain more so than Lee.  Even when he's "so called" healthy, he appears to be in severe pain after every hit.  He's not going to last here. 
Lee is the wild card, but really, Walters competition for a roster spot is most impacted by Greene.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Lee is the wild card, but really, Walters competition for a roster spot is most impacted by Greene.

Speaking of Greene...

Lags just said he was the league's best punt returner in 2015. Is that true?

'02

I say keep him. He is very reliable and can return punts if Greene gets hurt.

Assuming there's equal (or close to equal) money being offered by another team, I don't know why he would re-sign. He may have a better opportunity for more playing time somewhere else.

Quote:Speaking of Greene...

Lags just said he was the league's best punt returner in 2015. Is that true
I believe he had the longest punt return average in the league, yes.

Depends on how you qualify the statistics. He averaged 16.7 yards per punt return, but he returned fewer than 20 punts - which seems to be the number statisticians use to differentiate the full time PR guys from the rest. 

Had he been active in three or four more games he would been at the top of the list or very near it in all likelihood. 

(Omar Bolden is the only guy that averaged more than Greene that returned more than one punt. He returned five punts.

Greene fielded 18.)

On topic: While the Jags may offer Walters a vet minimum deal - I feel they won't pursue him harder than that and he ends up elsewhere. Just my gut feeling based on the large number of younger guys already on the roster. I like Walters, but I'm just thinking practically here.

Not only are Greene and Lee younger with more upside  --   I think guys like Shaq Evans, Arrelious Benn and Rasheed Bailey may stand out in camp enough to  be in the hunt for the last spot or two on the depth chart come September. Sterling is still a wildcard too. 

In a manner of speaking, yes, but he missed a huge chunk of the year. I think it'll be tough for him to maintain 16.7 yards per return over the course of 16 games, but there's no question he's very good on returns and could be our best at the position, well, ever.

I rather Walters over Benn and Sterling

Unless Sterling shows huge progress in camp and preseason, Walters is the perfect 5th WR, can come in if somebody is hurt and also adds a extra PR.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:I rather Walters over Benn and Sterling

Unless Sterling shows huge progress in camp and preseason, Walters is the perfect 5th WR, can come in if somebody is hurt and also adds a extra PR.

Fair point. I'm just not sure how much the Jags value him in that role. The concussion followed by severely limited playing time at the end of the season also raises question marks for me. Do they have confidence in his health? Will be interesting to see if he gets an offer.

Also - Shaq Evans is a 2014 fourth round pick (Jets) who did some PR work at UCLA - he might get a look there in camp.

Quote:I rather Walters over Benn and Sterling

I thought Benn was one of the best WRs on the roster before he got hurt.  I am looking forward to seeing him ball this year.   

Quote:I thought Benn was one of the best WRs on the roster before he got hurt.  I am looking forward to seeing him ball this year.   

Benn is probably the only WR on the roster with legit deep speed aside from maybe ARob. Lee is said to be faster on the field than his workout numbers show as well. With Blake's huge arm, I feel the deep threat guys are more valuable than a guy like Walters. 

'02

Quote:Benn is probably the only WR on the roster with legit deep speed aside from maybe ARob. Lee is said to be faster on the field than his workout numbers show as well. With Blake's huge arm, I feel the deep threat guys are more valuable than a guy like Walters.
I think Lee is faster than all of them. Benn did have a 4.42 combine 40 though.

Nothing to sneeze at.

I sure hope Lee and Benn have more durability this season.