Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Peyton Manning Linked to HGH

49ers and Eagles. They're both pursuing him per ESPN.

*sigh* exactly what I feared. Because of Khans bonehead move we may miss out on a proven commodity and have a lost season. How frustrating...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:49ers and Eagles. They're both pursuing him per ESPN.

*sigh* exactly what I feared. Because of Khans bonehead move we may miss out on a proven commodity and have a lost season. How frustrating...

Arguably,  the key X factor is how much a team will be willing to give up in trade compensation for the rights to Sean Payton.   I would be at least somewhat surprised if the Saints don't get the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick.

If you could have Sean Payton as Jags Head Coach,  what is the most you would be willing to give to the Saints from a Jags fan standpoint?

HGH?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

A 2nd round pick?! I would send them a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat for Sean Payton.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 12:20 PM by D6.)

Quote:A 2nd round pick?! I would send them a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat for Sean Payton.

It probably would be worth it providing that Sean Payton's Offense proves to be a good fit for Blake Bortles.   And if it isn't a good fit,  how much would Payton be willing to adjust his system to fit Bortles'  strengths?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:  It probably would be worth it providing that Sean Payton's Offense proves to be a good fit for Blake Bortles.   And if it isn't a good fit,  how much would Payton be willing to adjust his system to fit Bortles'  strengths?

There would be a few questions to ask and you raise a good point.  I personally think Sean Payton is a good enough coach on the offensive side of the ball to maximize Bortles talents either way.

Another key would be make sure he hires a good DC.  

Quote:There would be a few questions to ask and you raise a good point.  I personally think Sean Payton is a good enough coach on the offensive side of the ball to maximize Bortles talents either way.

Another key would be make sure he hires a good DC.  

Thanks.

The reason why I raised the point is seeing firsthand how Matthew Stafford and the Lions Offensive players collectively struggled in this system under Offensive Coordinator Joe Lombardi,  who was fired after game # 7 this season.    Lombardi was previously the Saints QB Coach.   The system contributed greatly to Drew Brees likely being a 1st Ballot HOFer.   But even for a QB with a high IQ like Stafford,   things didn't turn out well.     These same players for the most part did much better when Jim Bob Cooter took over as Offensive Coordinator and the system was altered substantially as the 2nd half of the season went on.   

It's possible that Blake Bortles would have been a natural fit in this system and all he and his teammates would have needed were reps and game experience.   But it's also possible that Sean Payton would have had to fit the pieces better than Lombardi ultimately did.  

b

Scarecrow,  good point regarding the DC factor.   One of Sean Payton's huge mistakes was hiring Rob Ryan,  which contributed greatly to the Saints problematic Defense until he finally got fired in the middle of this season.