Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaches on the hot seat

Quote:If there's 6 to 8 coaches leaving, who's getting the jobs?  I'd have to think Olson would be a good candidate at this point.

Improving an offense from bad to good in one season is not enough to get a head coaching job. Greg Olson (notice the spelling) needs to change his play-calling inside the 10-yard line so we can score touchdowns instead of field goals. We need to show improvement from one year to the next with the same OC. How many HCs got their jobs after being OCs for only one season? I can't think of any.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Actually they already went two years with Mike Pettine. He got there before Johnny Manziel.
Don't ever change.

Quote:Likely Bradley got himself another year, but Payton to the jaguars isn't impossible at all.
I'd call it the longest of shots at this point. For better or worse, Bradley probably did enough in that blowout of the Colts to secure his job for next year barring a disastrous 0-3 collapse, execution style, to end the season. Even then, Caldwell and Khan might feel like he's a better option than anyone available, given how close to contention he seems to (finally) have this team.

Quote:In the small chance that Dan Quinn is canned, then the Jags need to be all over him to be our DC. He ran our scheme in Seattle and he coached Fowler at UF. He would literally be perfect.
I'd be all on board with that, aside from two problems:

1. Quinn isn't getting fired.

2. I'd take a plank of wood, even if it were actively on fire, over Bob Babich, so I might not be the most unbiased guy when it comes to analyzing replacements.

Quote:Improving an offense from bad to good in one season is not enough to get a head coaching job.
I don't think Olson will end up with a head job this year, but generally speaking, yes. Taking an offense from among the worst to among the best in one season is absolutely a reason to hire a guy as your head coach. Jim Caldwell got the Lions job purely because of what he did with the Ravens offense, completely turning it around in just over a year as coordinator. His (disastrous) tenure with the Colts had virtually nothing to do with it.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:I don't think Olson will end up with a head job this year, but generally speaking, yes. Taking an offense from among the worst to among the best in one season is absolutely a reason to hire a guy as your head coach. Jim Caldwell got the Lions job purely because of what he did with the Ravens offense, completely turning it around in just over a year as coordinator. His (disastrous) tenure with the Colts had virtually nothing to do with it.

Of course it is a big reason to get a HC job somewhere. I just don't think teams would be interested before they see that improvement continue over a couple more seasons, especially if many drives end with FG attempts shorter than PATs. We need TDs, not FGs, to win games, and that is one thing team owners look for when they search for coaches. Give Greg Olson a couple seasons to improve in that area and we're in the market for a new offensive coordinator.

BTW before getting a job with the Ravens, Jim Caldwell was Indy's HC. I am sure the Lions were also thinking about his success there.

Quote:Of course it is a big reason to get a HC job somewhere. I just don't think teams would be interested before they see that improvement continue over a couple more seasons, especially if many drives end with FG attempts shorter than PATs. We need TDs, not FGs, to win games, and that is one thing team owners look for when they search for coaches. Give Greg Olson a couple seasons to improve in that area and we're in the market for a new offensive coordinator.
Team owners look for what, now?

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Quote:Team owners look for what, now?

Good play-calling that results in TDs. That is pretty obvious.

Quote:Good play-calling that results in TDs. That is pretty obvious.
I didn't know that, boy you learn something everyday on this board. It's like the encyclopedia.

Regards..................the Chiefjag

Quote:I didn't know that, boy you learn something every day on this board. It's like the encyclopedia.

LOL It has been said for years you learn something new every day.

So now I want to learn something. If Chuck Pagano is in the last year of his contract, is not getting an extension the same as getting fired?

Quote:So now I want to learn something. If Chuck Pagano is in the last year of his contract, is not getting an extension the same as getting fired?
If a tree falls in a forest and lands on a mime, does it make a noise?

Quote:LOL It has been said for years you learn something new every day.

So now I want to learn something. If Chuck Pagano is in the last year of his contract, is not getting an extension the same as getting fired?
I would say yes, but then it's technically an expired contract of which the agreements of both parties have been fulfilled.

Regards................the Chiefjag

How many coaches do you all think will be unemployed after January 3? I keep reading there will be more than usual after this season, but at the same time, NFL insiders believe Chip Kelly is safe.

Quote:If there's 6 to 8 coaches leaving, who's getting the jobs. I'd have to think Olsen would be a good candidate at this point.

I highly doubt it. Olson has been a lifelong coordinator and he seems happy with it. I dont think a one year wonder is gonna have him as a hot commodity just yet.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:In the small chance that Dan Quinn is canned, then the Jags need to be all over him to be our DC. He ran our scheme in Seattle and he coached Fowler at UF. He would literally be perfect.

I definitely agree with that. I think Quinn is a great defensive coach and it would be a pretty perfect scenario for the jaguars.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Mike Pettine and Mike McCoy are gone. The Dolphins and Titans jobs will reopen. That's four jobs up for grabs right there. My gut is that Jeff Fisher and Jim Caldwell are gone for sure, putting us at six. Pagano, imo, is gone unless he convincingly wins his wild card game. That's a possible seven right there.

I think Tomsula and Quinn both get a second year, I think Kelly is safe, I think Jason Garrett is safe, and I think Gruden gets another year in DC, based at least in part on Dan Snyder's presumably getting tired of paying coaches to not coach.

Coughlin's a trickier situation. I don't think the Giants would fire him, but he might retire, or "retire", depending on the circumstances. That puts us somewhere between six and eight openings, which is on the high end of normal for an NFL offseason.

Quote:Mike Pettine and Mike McCoy are gone. The Dolphins and Titans jobs will reopen. That's four jobs up for grabs right there. My gut is that Jeff Fisher and Jim Caldwell are gone for sure, putting us at six. Pagano, imo, is gone unless he convincingly wins his wild card game. That's a possible seven right there.

I think Tomsula and Quinn both get a second year, I think Kelly is safe, I think Jason Garrett is safe, and I think Gruden gets another year in DC, based at least in part on Dan Snyder's presumably getting tired of paying coaches to not coach.

Coughlin's a trickier situation. I don't think the Giants would fire him, but he might retire, or "retire", depending on the circumstances. That puts us somewhere between six and eight openings, which is on the high end of normal for an NFL offseason.

I read 6-8 openings is normal, but have not kept track of that. Jeff Fisher has been getting more heat than Mike McCoy lately. Both coaches should be gone. Every year there are rumors about Tom Coughlin but they never make any sense. It looks like 7 coaches will be unemployed in January:

Mike Pettine (Browns)

Chuck Pagano (Colts)

Jim Caldwell (Lions)

Jeff Fisher (Rams)

Mike McCoy (Chargers)

Mike Mularkey (Titans)

Dan Campbell (Dolphins)

No way are Jim Tomsula and Dan Quinn going to be fired after only one season. It happens when an executive is also fired, such as our situation in 2013.

Quote:No way are Jim Tomsula and Dan Quinn going to be fired after only one season. It happens when an executive is also fired, such as our situation in 2013.
The guy that hired Tomsula was demoted, just shy of fired, by the 49ers. Just FYI.

Quote:The guy that hired Tomsula was demoted, just shy of fired, by the 49ers. Just FYI.

Good because he sucks.

Will someone throw some gasoline on Gus's seat please?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Will someone throw some gasoline on Gus's seat please?

How about fire to your posting abilities. Seriously, We get your agenda. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Who do you all think will be fired next?

Quote:Will someone throw some gasoline on Gus's seat please?
Sorry bud, Bradley will be back next year.