Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is this defensive scheme just trash?

Quote:How so? Cause he isn't 20lbs heavier? Stupid excuse.

What position would he play?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Seattle was playing very below their standard with Earl Thomas (holding) out. We have FAR less talent at the position and couldn't stop the titans and their rookie QB.

hopefully next year we'll be improving with a new scheme and mariota will be regressing to the mean.

Earl Thomas didn't hold out.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Scheme won't help this defense.

Yes. It doesn't work.
THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 09:19 PM by Sosa.)

Quote:What position would he play?
[Image: 3-4.png]

SAM/OLB

If you don't have the players.... Run the scheme anyway!

Great coaching Gus!

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 09:27 PM by jobclarke.)

Telvin would play the same position Timmons plays for the steelers.... Inside MLB.... and he's undersized as well

Quote:Does anyone else think we'd do better in a 3-4? 
NO in the 3-4 you need linebackers that can rush the QB.  WE only have one who can

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Telvin would play the same position Timmons plays for the steelers.... Inside MLB.... and he's undersized as well

234 is undersized for a 34 MLB so what would that make a 218 lb Telvin?

Quote:NO in the 3-4 you need linebackers that can rush the QB.  WE only have one who can
That's why you get them from FA or the Draft.

2016 Jaguars defensive Coordinator?

Quote:2016 Jaguars defensive Coordinator?
Gus Bradley should be in control of this defense. Its the scheme he ran in Seattle and was brought here to do the same, but we got Babich running the show while Bradley sits back and watches it burn.

First off, I think it is the scheme.  I don't think in this day and age, a 3 deep zone works.  If you watch any other team play besides the Jaguars, you'll see that rushing 4 only as your base and rarely bringing 5 or more get's you light up.  No team can sustain success throughout an entire game by just rushing 4 and playing zone on 80% of the defensive plays.

You have to blitz, and you have to blitz consistently.

Second off...  Has anyone wondered if maybe Gus Bradley never really fully mastered how to coach this Seattle Defense?  He spent 3 years in Seattle, was that enough time to fully understand what that defense was all about?  I just asking because, it seems like the defenders are pretty poorly coached.

What I mean by that is this:  After re-watching Sunday's game, when we were playing the Seattle D, on almost every key 3rd down, there was confusion by our LB's or Secondary seconds before the snap.  Like we didn't know the proper alignment we should be running.  

The other thing I noticed is that our LB'ers don't seem comfortable playing zone.  They get caught standing around as recivers are literally a few feet away from them waiting for the ball to come. 

I think the scheme is terrible, but it also seems like the players are lost out there quite a bit of the time.  

Quote:First off, I think it is the scheme. I don't think in this day and age, a 3 deep zone works. If you watch any other team play besides the Jaguars, you'll see that rushing 4 only as your base and rarely bringing 5 or more get's you light up. No team can sustain success throughout an entire game by just rushing 4 and playing zone on 80% of the defensive plays.

You have to blitz, and you have to blitz consistently.

Second off... Has anyone wondered if maybe Gus Bradley never really fully mastered how to coach this Seattle Defense? He spent 3 years in Seattle, was that enough time to fully understand what that defense was all about? I just asking because, it seems like the defenders are pretty poorly coached.

What I mean by that is this: After re-watching Sunday's game, when we were playing the Seattle D, on almost every key 3rd down, there was confusion by our LB's or Secondary seconds before the snap. Like we didn't know the proper alignment we should be running.

The other thing I noticed is that our LB'ers don't seem comfortable playing zone. They get caught standing around as recivers are literally a few feet away from them waiting for the ball to come.

I think the scheme is terrible, but it also seems like the players are lost out there quite a bit of the time.

The part about the linebackers in zone is something I've noticed aswell and they talked about it on Jaguars today.

They appear to be just standing in their zone regardless of where the receivers are instead of moving towards to the receiver to make it tougher to catch.

Looks like they're being told to maintain the structure of the scheme rather than to try make plays.

Quote:Second off...  Has anyone wondered if maybe Gus Bradley never really fully mastered how to coach this Seattle Defense?  He spent 3 years in Seattle, was that enough time to fully understand what that defense was all about?  I just asking because, it seems like the defenders are pretty poorly coached.

I'm thinking they started the scheme when Gus got there, and he didn't seem to have any problems when he was in Seattle. So, no, I don't think that's it. I do feel it's largely a matter of not having adequate players in key spots for the scheme to work. Get Jaylon Smith in here at OTTO with Fowler at LEO, and this is a much improved defense. It also helps to have Kam Chancellor at S to bring the boom. The secondary really doesn't have anyone after Colvin and House, and with Sen'Derrick gone most of the year the other true playmaker on defense is Telvin Smith, and to a lesser extent Poz. This defense simply needs far more talent to work, and they need someone better than Babich coordinating their efforts.

'02

Quote:Caldwell also snagged a bunch of Seattle's old guys. Well, They are all over the hill now. I don't really have an issue with the way Caldwell has done business in this regard because while patching the defense in F/A, He fixed the offense via the draft (Most important). Expect the defense to get some more draft love going forward and expect the defense to get better as we go.

It appears to me that this was/is the plan all along. Fix the offense and patch the defense. If the draft and FA aren't overwhelmingly defense this year, I would be shocked.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Look at us, Atlanta and to a lesser degree, Seattle. It seems to have been figured out.

Atlanta was 32nd last year in total defense yards. This year, they are middle of the pack.  They were 6th in pts allowed last season, 20th this season. I'd hardly call that being "figured out" given its their first year.

It's the NFL. It's a big chess match and while there are certain offensive formations and plays that will stress this defense out, the same is true in every scheme. Is our scheme bad when...

Marks...a long-time bust in Tenn became a Pro-bowl caliber player moving to the inside DT position in our scheme?

Alan Ball...a journeyman safety looked like a very good corner in our scheme before injuries took its toll?

Skuta has been a journeyman as well, yet he looks like a fit at OTTO?

We just don't have the players to run this...or really any scheme without robbing peter to pay paul...and it all starts up front with our pass rush. Overall, I think this team has done a good job in the early downs. Its the 3rd down (and even 3rd down and long) that really gives it fits, which is bad especially since that's when the good defenses get off the field.

Not trash - but it definitely requires some very particular talent to be effective.

(Stud safeties, a good rotation of pass rushers with at least one serious threat, and LBs that can play both run and pass at a high level)

Of course it's also been figured out to some extent.

Teams have had years worth of Seattle tape to study, but it can still be good with the right players.

Quote:Not trash - but it definitely requires some very particular talent to be effective.

(Stud safeties, a good rotation of pass rushers with at least one serious threat, and LBs that can play both run and pass at a high level)

Of course it's also been figured out to some extent.

Teams have had years worth of Seattle tape to study, but it can still be good with the right players.
And that will happen. For awhile 3-4 was the hyped defense and everyone was running it with success. Then offenses caught up and started attacking it. For every good 3-4 defense in the NFL now, I can name one that gets gashed week in and week out. Same with 4-3.

Scheme can only take you so far if you don't have the players to run it.

Quote:How so? Cause he isn't 20lbs heavier? Stupid excuse.
It's not a stupid excuse.

The 3-4 is a largely size dependent scheme.

LBs typically have to take on OLs much more frequently in a 3-4.

It speaks volumes on this point they've tried getting him to add weight in THIS scheme.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!