Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"To be honest with you, we tried everything"

The scheme isn't the problem.

They played cover 3 and failed.

Cover 2. Failed.

Man free worked a little but Cyp was getting handled by their TE.

Blitzing worked once then failed miserably.

But it's Gus' fault...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You nailed it with 2 LBs, rewatching the game I noticed Poz was pretty bad to be honest (despite him being an awesome guy). 

Telvin is the only reliable LB we have.  You're assessment of defensive needs is pretty spot on.
Thing is, on running downs, from tackle to tackle, Poz is an outstanding player.

He diagnoses well and closes well.

In space, in pass coverage, it is a different matter entirely.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Thing is, on running downs, from tackle to tackle, Poz is an outstanding player.

He diagnoses well and closes well.

In space, in pass coverage, it is a different matter entirely.

In pass coverage yes...

On running plays, he was actually part of the problem of missing tackles in this game (and yes he made some tackles too).  He may have just had a bad game but it wasn't pretty.

Quote:The scheme isn't the problem.

They played cover 3 and failed.

Cover 2. Failed.

Man free worked a little but Cyp was getting handled by their TE.

Blitzing worked once then failed miserably.

But it's Gus' fault...

This is an ignorant statement...

I genuinely don't understand the Gus defenders.

He is a historically bad coach.  Every single person here will admit he's a nice guy.  But he is a terrible NFL HC.

What facts do you offer to back up your suport for Gus?

Quote:In pass coverage yes...

On running plays, he was actually part of the problem of missing tackles in this game (and yes he made some tackles too).  He may have just had a bad game but it wasn't pretty.
As a general rule of thumb, Poz is an excellent run defender.  The entire defense, including him, was bad against the run yesterday.

Plain and simply, he's not a head coach and by stating that, he's all but admitted that fact..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Plain and simply, he's not a head coach and by stating that, he's all but admitted that fact..
I guess my question is at what point did he start throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks?

At what point did he realize his game plan defensively wasn't working?

How comfortable was he with the defensive game plan going in?

I'm more confused about what this "everything" that they tried was. 

Quote:When people use the term "Gus hater" that's an ignorant statement.

I haven't seen anyone on hear not admit that Bradley is a nice guy (because he is!). However, he's a historically bad HC. I've posted the HC record comparisons multiple times here and I'll let you do the research yourself. The facts back up that Bradley is a bad coach and will not be successful.

He also does not pass the eye test. The inabilities of this team that point to bad coaching are way above average for an NFL team.

Drop the "hater" card, it's way beyond used up.

I think "hater" is the perfect term for many on this forum. Just look at the game day threads. WR drops a ball? Fire Gus! Poz misses a tackle? Fire Gus! Robinson muffs a punt! Fire Gus! Luke gets beat and Blake gets sacked? Fire Gus!

The list can go on and on. People are in complete denial of player responsibility and just want to blame the coaches for everything.

Quote:The last thing I want to do is blow the roster up again but something's got to change were trying to address the defense we're just not getting the right players.

At this point I'm wondering if we just need to abandon this whole defensive scheme we've been hell bent on trying to find players for. Remember we originally wanted to try and do a zone blocking scheme and we went and drafted lineman and brought in lineman from the free agency for that specific scheme.

That's been the point of the "Gus haters" in this thread. We don't have the talent to play Seattle South. Gus should have realized that in the preseason and adjusted the defensive scheme. Why didn't he?

We all know you want Caldwell fired months ago because he blew the roster up. But Caldwell has earned the benefit of the doubt with the offensive talent he has brought in. Caldwell admitted his mistake. Time to let it go and move on.

But we do not have and have not had the talent to run Seattle's defense, so at what point is our HC and our DC responsible for not changing the scheme to fit the players we do have?

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 09:34 AM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote:This is an ignorant statement...

I genuinely don't understand the Gus defenders.

He is a historically bad coach.  Every single person here will admit he's a nice guy.  But he is a terrible NFL HC.

What facts do you offer to back up your suport for Gus?

Everything is an ignorant statement....

Yes the defense is bad and a lot of that has to do with the level of talent. But I see the makings of the best offense we have had in years...maybe ever, and I really don't want to ruin that continuity with the coaching staff as Blake AR15, etc develop.

What coach do you want to replace him?

Quote:I think "hater" is the perfect term for many on this forum. Just look at the game day threads. WR drops a ball? Fire Gus! Poz misses a tackle? Fire Gus! Robinson muffs a punt! Fire Gus! Luke gets beat and Blake gets sacked? Fire Gus!

The list can go on and on. People are in complete denial of player responsibility and just want to blame the coaches for everything.

We'll agree to disagree...

When so many things go wrong, like with the Jags, it comes down to a fundamental lack of leadership and in the NFL, the HC is paid to be that guy.

He's paid to build a winning program, build a culture of excellence and winning.  To bring in a coaching staff that will build the best team possible with the talent they have.

To prepare his team in season and out of season.  To develop players and get the most out their individual talents.

To hold players accountable and find ways to motivate them and get their best each game (or most games).

Whiel Bradley has done a couple things right he has failed on way too many accounts.

This is a fundemental lack of leadership!

Blame individual players all you want but if you look at all the winning caliber coaches in football they all have something in common.  They take responsibility and then they go fix the problems.  They demand crisp execution and the best from every player.  Gus's approach to leadership has failed.

The HC job is too much for Gus.  He's not a bad guy, just not a capable NFL head coach.

I don't understand how, in this day and age, you can build a successful defense that relies on one guy to rush the passer: the "Leo."   This defensive front is basically 3 defensive tackles and one defensive end.  How can that possibly work? 

Quote:I guess my question is at what point did he start throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks?

At what point did he realize his game plan defensively wasn't working?

How comfortable was he with the defensive game plan going in?

1) Probably when he finally realized that he's on borrowed time..

2) Not to try to answer a question with another question but.. How can this defense allow only 13 points to the tacks just two weeks ago and give up 42 to them yesterday?!? I'd like to say he realized his scheme was blown after the first TD given up or when tack receivers started to chew up yards by the arseload.. But I don't think he's smart enough to figure that out..

3) I'd say he was pretty comfy with the scheme going into the game knowing that the defense held that god awful tack team to 13 previously.. His whole problem is he doesn't make adjustments.. Or he does, and he's making the wrong adjustments.. Either way, it's totally unacceptable in this league and this is the problem we've been having all season..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

The defense doesn't have the talent, both on the sideline and on the field. 

They have 2 maybe three effective defenders. 

Everyone else could be benched for all I care. 

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 09:39 AM by MoJagFan.)

Gameday threads are spleen venting and fan emotion.  When you look at quality threads, you see rationale discourse like we have in this thread.

For this year, success to me was seeing actual improvement for the team.  I'll take that it has all come on the offensive side of the ball.  I'm giddy and ecstatic that the QB is learning and growing before us every Sunday.  I had lower expectations for the WRs when they were drafted but holly molly are they good.  There body adjustments and abilities to attack the ball are outstanding.  So overall I'm satisfied there.

Now on Defense...   the Head Coach is suppose to be a defense minded person.

Anyone remember when we were going to move to the 3-4 and then we were getting stomped and burned.  What did they do going into the season after all those reps in camp on 3-4 concepts?  That's right they adjusted to their personnel and went with a base 4-3 with a simplified plan.  Of course we had better talent but they didn't try to keep jamming the 3-4 peg into the 4-3 hole.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Since everybody is saying we don't have the talent to run Seattle South.

Whats the best D for our current personnel.

Vanilla Cover 2 Zone Bend but Dont Break JDR Defense

Dick Lebeau Zone Blitz D

Buddy Ryan 46 D

Buccaneers cover 2 zone super bowl D

Quote:Everything is an ignorant statement....

Yes the defense is bad and a lot of that has to do with the level of talent. But I see the makings of the best offense we have had in years...maybe ever, and I really don't want to ruin that continuity with the coaching staff as Blake AR15, etc develop.

What coach do you want to replace him?

You're talking about making decisions out of fear, that will never work.

I do agree that the offense has taken a big step forward (I also do not want that to regress).  Olson's contract is independent of Gus's.  Caldwell could choose to keep Olson and make that an agreement with a new head coach that comes in.

Our defense and Special Teams suck so if (hypothetically) Gus, Babich and the ST's coach were all fired, it would not decrease our performance in those areas.

So, as you alluded to, the only hesitation and fear is that the offense gets set back by getting a new OC and having to learn a new scheme.  I agree.  But, as I mentioned above, I think that's where Caldwell can decide to keep Olson and offensive positions coaches as he sees fit.

They only way for this team to win if we keep Gus is if Caldwell continues to improve as a GM and the team becomes so overflowing with talent that they win in spite of Gus being terrible (which is baically what is happening now).

Quote:Since everybody is saying we don't have the talent to run Seattle South.

Whats the best D for our current personnel.

Vanilla Cover 2 Zone Bend but Dont Break JDR Defense

[BAD WORD REMOVED] Lebeau Zone Blitz D

Buddy Ryan 46 D

Buccaneers cover 2 zone super bowl D

I would think that the offense has shown enough ability to score TDs and/or FGs so you go with the "bend don't break" and hope you make them hit field goals.

The Khan Years

Quote:/edit

They only way for this team to win if we keep Gus is if Caldwell continues to improve as a GM and the team becomes so overflowing with talent that they win in spite of Gus being terrible (which is baically what is happening now).

Yeah that is what these types of statements suggest for year 4.  We have to so overwhelm both sides of the ball with talent so it can be coaching proof.

Not to band too hard on some obvious but man we started chasing points early.  Okay you missed the first extra point but why chase the points and immediately go for 2 the next time?  Really if that was the plan you should have gone for 2 with every score.

The Khan Years