Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Tacks game

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 07:37 PM by copycat.)

My impression of today's game and the season for that matter was summed up by one of the announcers (Sims I believe) who stated and I paraphrase: The Jaguars coaching staff refuses to alter their game plan to match the personnel they have and going with their strengths instead they stay with their philosophy even though they don't have the personnel to run it.

The best and most honest analogy I have heard yet when it comes to evaluating the Bradley philosophy of "trusting the process".  At this point in his tenure he needs to re-evaluate his thought process IMHO.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was at the game and man what a fun one to watch. AFC South may go from the outhouse to the penthouse very quickly. Lots of young talent in this division. Talks of Mariota as a bust are laughable. The only thing he busted was a nut...all over the Jags D. Bortles looked better than I've ever seen him.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

Need to upgrade Poz. Way too slow in coverage. Unfortunate, because he is a fantastic leader. Need another fast, athletic LB to pair with Telvin ala Alexander/Lansanah/David in TB.

Poz has always been bad in coverage. He is a tackle machine though.

I think Poz has one serviceable year left, but next year we need to transition to someone more athletic at mike.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think Skuta was really missed today

I think Skuta was missed in the running game.  I still think he would have been a liability in coverage.

Quote:I think Poz has one serviceable year left, but next year we need to transition to someone more athletic at mike.

It is a good thing Gene Smith drafted his replacement in the fifth round in 2012.

Oh wait Caldwell cut him...

Quote:Need to upgrade Poz. Way too slow in coverage. Unfortunate, because he is a fantastic leader. Need another fast, athletic LB to pair with Telvin ala Alexander/Lansanah/David in TB.
Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack please.

Quote:It is a good thing Gene Smith drafted his replacement in the fifth round in 2012.

Oh wait Caldwell cut him...

Gene Smiff didn't draft a good player. Besides, who needs a Gene Smiff player when this team could carry LaRoy Reynolds and Jeremiah George? :teehee:

Seriously though, this team will need to look for a young upgrade to Poz immediately. They can't let it get to a Brad Meester situation where they don't actually address the ever-looming end until it's too late and hope Mike Brewster or Jacques McClendon can handle one of the most important positions on the field. Wallbash 

I love Poz and think he's gotten a pretty bum rap on here, but, it's definitely coming to the end. They need to find a younger and faster replacement. Especially if this team insists on lining the ILB up in coverage against the offense's fastest receiver. Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 05:38 AM by Banatha.)

I like some of Dave's draft picks, but his FA's are letting the team down. Somebody explain Myers? Why is he here, what was seen of his talent to allow him to take the job? He looks like a 12 year old bad high school kicker.

The defense lacks a leader.With Marks out, this squad mailed it in. Clemons should be gone, he stopped playing a couple games ago and can't get off a block.

Dave has made several key mistakes in FA and a key problem is not finding THE leader, the alpha dog on defense.

GM and Coach needs to step it up, do their jobs better, to inspire what we have immediately, and secondly getting that ELITE FA talent

on Defense.  We are on the road to good days it seems, the offense looks much improved and of course the WR and QB are the reason, but more hard work is needed in the less glamour positions,such as finding that Ronnie Lott that will play with a missing finger for the love of the game. I did not see any fire in this defense yesterday, and this games really stands out as an unmotivated defense, ill prepared, and someone needs to take the blame for that.  I haven't heard anyone step forward and do that besides the same old platitudes and coach speech.

The GM simply has to find that Ray Lewis or Revis on Defense that play with desire. It might come from the draft but younger rookies rarely take over a locker room immediately. He must stop Jacksonville from becoming the elephant graveyard of hurt, overrated FA's needing a job. I think these lame,unmotivated free agents will get in line with our program if they had someone in their face telling them to play for pride. We don't have that guy in their face, from a player or the coaching staff. (Gus?).  We witnessed a team on defense "just doing their job" yesterday, without desire or fire. That is not enough, so Gus needs to change the "just do your job" talk, to "play like your career depends on it and your grandma is watching, because you are tanking it". Basically Mr.Motivation needs to motivate until Dave hits on a FA stud someday soon that can lead this defense.  It has to change now, or Blake better be prepared to throw 5 TD's every game the rest of the season. This Defense is sliding down hill now that the playoffs are out of the picture.

Quote:My impression of today's game and the season for that matter was summed up by one of the announcers (Sims I believe) who stated and I paraphrase: The Jaguars coaching staff refuses to alter their game plan to match the personnel they have and going with their strengths instead they stay with their philosophy even though they don't have the personnel to run it.

The best and most honest analogy I have heard yet when it comes to evaluating the Bradley philosophy of "trusting the process".  At this point in his tenure he needs to re-evaluate his thought process IMHO.
Mine was summed up by two plays:

First was 3rd and 11 for the tacks on their own 35 with 4 minutes to go, score is 42-39. A stop here would mean getting the ball back with 3:50 to go and two timeouts, plenty of time for Bortles to get a TD or at least a FG. What do the coaches do? Bring three rushers, drop everyone else into coverage. Result was a pass to Walker for 16 yards. Now we have to burn three timeouts while the tacks take another minute off the clock.

Second was on the next Jaguars drive; 4th and 5 on the Jags 11 yard line. The tacks bring the house, at least two blitzers, maybe even three. Result; sack, turnover on downs and essentially the end of the game.

The difference in playcalling between these two similar plays and the results of said playcalling are exactly why I have lost faith in the coaching staff on the defensive side. Sure, part of the reason for the defensive woes is a lack of talent but to drop eight guys into coverage on a critical play when Mariota has been tearing the secondary to shreds every time he's had time to throw shows a lack of awareness on the part of the coaches which is unacceptable.

It seems like every time we go to Tennessee, one of two things happen:

a)  They have some sort of return for a TD and we lose;

b) an otherwise out of this world performance by one of our guys is offset by a good or great performance by one of their guys and we lose.

This time both happened.

Make no mistake, I loved Bortles performance.

But I'm tired of the flukish returns for TDs/bizarre fumbles at point blank range.  I'm tired of great offensive performances going down the crapper because the defense takes the day off.

Quote:I like some of Dave's draft picks, but his FA's are letting the team down. Somebody explain Myers? Why is he here, what was seen of his talent to allow him to take the job? He looks like a 12 year old bad high school kicker.

The defense lacks a leader.With Marks out, this squad mailed it in. Clemons should be gone, he stopped playing a couple games ago and can't get off a block.

Dave has made several key mistakes in FA and a key problem is not finding THE leader, the alpha dog on defense.

GM and Coach needs to step it up, do their jobs better, to inspire what we have immediately, and secondly getting that ELITE FA talent

on Defense.  We are on the road to good days it seems, the offense looks much improved and of course the WR and QB are the reason, but more hard work is needed in the less glamour positions,such as finding that Ronnie Lott that will play with a missing finger for the love of the game. I did not see any fire in this defense yesterday, and this games really stands out as an unmotivated defense, ill prepared, and someone needs to take the blame for that.  I haven't heard anyone step forward and do that besides the same old platitudes and coach speech.

The GM simply has to find that Ray Lewis or Revis on Defense that play with desire. It might come from the draft but younger rookies rarely take over a locker room immediately. He must stop Jacksonville from becoming the elephant graveyard of hurt, overrated FA's needing a job. I think these lame,unmotivated free agents will get in line with our program if they had someone in their face telling them to play for pride. We don't have that guy in their face, from a player or the coaching staff. (Gus?).  We witnessed a team on defense "just doing their job" yesterday, without desire or fire. That is not enough, so Gus needs to change the "just do your job" talk, to "play like your career depends on it and your grandma is watching, because you are tanking it". Basically Mr.Motivation needs to motivate until Dave hits on a FA stud someday soon that can lead this defense.  It has to change now, or Blake better be prepared to throw 5 TD's every game the rest of the season. This Defense is sliding down hill now that the playoffs are out of the picture.
I would LOVE to see Muhammad Wilkerson here to replace Odrick, and a return to health with Fowler and Marks.

That would certainly upgrade LDE and at least improve the depth there and at DT.

In the secondary, I'd like to see Eric Berry here.  Weddle would be the second choice due to his age.

Quote: 

7.  Bottom line:  Even though we got a little help from Buff[BAD WORD REMOVED], bad defense and placekicking doomed this team to another .500 at best season.  We'll see if this team quits down the stretch...and we'll see how the young guys continue to develop.

What is the bad word removed here? I'm completely baffled.

One of these years.............

Seriously guys, how often do FAs REALLY work out? I think we all collectively put too much importance on big name free agents, when the best results are almost always moderate players who fit a scheme extremely well and didn't fit with their old teams scheme. I would like to see drafted players take the cake on the D, but we really can't expect good performances for a year or two with draftees. Our D is far away with the current scheme. I don't doubt that changing scheme would help out a lot more immediately.

Quote:Seriously guys, how often do FAs REALLY work out? I think we all collectively put too much importance on big name free agents, when the best results are almost always moderate players who fit a scheme extremely well and didn't fit with their old teams scheme. I would like to see drafted players take the cake on the D, but we really can't expect good performances for a year or two with draftees. Our D is far away with the current scheme. I don't doubt that changing scheme would help out a lot more immediately.
They work when you have a FO that is good at identifying talent and fits within the scheme.

The Patriots have signed good FAs.  Denver signed some good free agents.

Quote:Seriously guys, how often do FAs REALLY work out? I think we all collectively put too much importance on big name free agents, when the best results are almost always moderate players who fit a scheme extremely well and didn't fit with their old teams scheme. I would like to see drafted players take the cake on the D, but we really can't expect good performances for a year or two with draftees. Our D is far away with the current scheme. I don't doubt that changing scheme would help out a lot more immediately.
Free agency is best when the team can vision themselves holding that super bowl trophy at the end upcoming season.

Quote:Mine was summed up by two plays:

First was 3rd and 11 for the tacks on their own 35 with 4 minutes to go, score is 42-39. A stop here would mean getting the ball back with 3:50 to go and two timeouts, plenty of time for Bortles to get a TD or at least a FG. What do the coaches do? Bring three rushers, drop everyone else into coverage. Result was a pass to Walker for 16 yards. Now we have to burn three timeouts while the tacks take another minute off the clock.

Second was on the next Jaguars drive; 4th and 5 on the Jags 11 yard line. The tacks bring the house, at least two blitzers, maybe even three. Result; sack, turnover on downs and essentially the end of the game.

The difference in playcalling between these two similar plays and the results of said playcalling are exactly why I have lost faith in the coaching staff on the defensive side. Sure, part of the reason for the defensive woes is a lack of talent but to drop eight guys into coverage on a critical play when Mariota has been tearing the secondary to shreds every time he's had time to throw shows a lack of awareness on the part of the coaches which is unacceptable.

If you're dropping 8 players in coverage, and they have 11 yards to go...the opposing team shouldn't be able to get 16 yards.  That's "supposed" to be the point of dropping 8 players in coverage. You have EIGHT covering

Also, you blitz on 3rd and 11, which means they dump it off to a quick pass (which Mariota does a good job off with his quick release). How confident are you our guys don't miss the tackle in open space?

It doesn't matter what scheme you run if the players don't win individually.

Quote:They work when you have a FO that is good at identifying talent and fits within the scheme.

The Patriots have signed good FAs.  Denver signed some good free agents.
Honestly, I don't know what needs to change since no one except those inside the building know who are making inputs and the final decision maker. But while there have been good "fits" from FAs, there's been some bad fits as well that you just wonder what is going on.

Marks was a guy miscast in Tenn, so we brought him over to play for our scheme and was a great fit. We tried the same strategy with Hood, and it didn't work.

You have a guy like Dekoda Watson, who we identified and created the OTTO position for. Fail. And we churned through LBs looking for that player until we seemingly hit on Skuta this season as someone who can play that role.

Our left end and LEO obviously we hit early on with Clemons and Red, since Gus both knew them from Seattle. But we have no depth at those positions. Everyone thought Tyson would be a better fit at end, and while he did OK there, he wasn't good enough. So we brought in Odrick because he's supposed to anchor the run better while providing better rush. Nope.

Ball was a find, if he didn't get hurt, and he actually transitioned well to this scheme. Gratz didn't, but House has been solid for the most part.