Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I Fantasize About Being the New Senior Writer!

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2015, 04:14 PM by David4499.)

Quote:What is this thread about?
Reads like a sales flyer. But this monkey can't figure out what he's selling?

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2015, 05:06 PM by realtorpat.)

Quote:Reads like a sales flyer. But this monkey can't figure out what he's selling?
I guess what I was trying to sell is the ability to write a non stock answer to the same questions people do everyday.  Wasn't meant as a sales pitch, and as much as I would love to have that job I do not fantasize about it.  For fun though I will answer some more of the questions from today so enjoy, or don't I don't get paid either way. (also my last name starts with an O too so we wouldn't even have to change the column name)

Trey from Lovely Fruit Cove:
Hi, Pat: This may seem childish, but I just wish the Jags – my favorite team -- were better. A lot of my friends are fans of the Packers, Steelers, Ravens and Patriots. They talk about playoffs and Super Bowls. We talk about improving and next year. Sigh, just wish we were better. Thanks for listening.

The good news is those Ravens fans are getting a dose of what we have been through in the past right now, the bad news is that same team probably won't panic and gut the roster or let go a Super Bowl winning coaching staff.  The Packers and Steelers as good as their quarterbacks may make them both teams have shown they are merely mortal when losing players like Bell and Nelson.  As for the Patriots they will likely fall back into irrelevance as soon as Golden boy starts to decline or retires.  Anyone can talk about the playoffs or the Super Bowl but what they should do is learn to enjoy the ride.   The reality is this team was five years away from being good and now we only appear to be one year away.

<div>David from Oviedo, FL:
O-Man, when we rush four, opposing quarterbacks have all day to throw. This would make sense if more bodies in the secondary led to turnovers, but it doesn't. Turnovers come from pressuring the quarterbacks; so, we need to blitz and blitz often. It's not like our cornerbacks are the weak link. I vote we err on the side of aggression. A wise man once said, "If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!"

<b>When losing to the Patriots in the playoffs the jags made sure not to let Moss beat them deep and held him to 1 catch for 14 yards.  They did what they planned to do, however Brady ended up going 26/28 in the game throwing underneath the coverage.  I love the Blitz and my friends love how aggressive a coach like Rex Ryan is who lives by the Blitz and it is fun and hectic.  Then The Blitz gets picked up and a shot is taken down field for 40 yards.  I see that then I think of the times that this teams 4 man rush has gotten to the quarterback and he took a shot down the field for 40 yards and completed it.  The coverage simply isn't good enough to hold up when there are extra members in the secondary and pressure.  If this team were to make a commitment to live or die by the Blitz I would expect dying to be more common.</b>
<div>

Steve from Jacksonville:
Could A.J. Cann play any other position on the line? He seems to have made strides this year, but isn't up to Brandon Linder's standard, who (assuming he comes back fine from injury) would go back in at right guard. Could Cann play left guard?
</div>
</div>

If we could clone Cann and replace Beadles now I would be in support of the science needed to accomplish the feat

Nicholas from Toronto, Canada:
Are you truly satisfied with the coaching staff's rationale for not trying other players more extensively at Leo? So, even though Branch and Clemons are not able to pressure the passer, they're still the best options? What will happen if they're benched - will we not be able to pressure the quarterback (oh no!)? So, even though they have no future with the team beyond 2015, and even though this season offers an opportunity to evaluate the future of the position, they're still taking up the vast majority of the snaps? It doesn't add up.

I'll see if I can find anyone when I shake the Leo tree.

<div>Royce from Jacksonville:
Mr. O, after hearing Coach Gus explain the lack of run plays, I got the impression that he is not involved with what’s going on during the game -- or chooses not to change anything. Am I wrong?

I see Gus as more of a teacher and motivator which is what you need in an extensive rebuild.  He is also more in tune defensively than offensively, regardless he should be more involved going forward.  I still personally believe he is the right man to lead this team for the year and next, After that if he has not grown as a coach and this team is not playoff bound its time to show him the door.  Once I shut the door I want to the shake the Coach Arian tree.

<div>Joe from Fleming Island, FL:
Recognizing that injuries are part of the NFL, I can’t help think the red-zone issues and the running game would be a much different situation if Linder had not been injured. Thoughts?

Yes having one of the top 5 players on the team would help.

</div>
</div>
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:A penne for your thoughts

Puns are pretty popular form of humor these days.

Orzo I hear anyway.

Quote:Puns are pretty popular form of humor these days.

Orzo I hear anyway.

That's using your noodle.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

New writer seems like a nice guy, but its a thankless job to be the one who is forced to try to sugarcoat the Jags' situation

Quote:I read "ask Vic" routinely for years. Rarely missed one of his columns because I enjoyed his sarcasm and knowledge.

I haven't read a single o zone in the last 3 years. The guy just doesn't come close to filling Vic's shoes imo.

100% Same for me...

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

I could care less. I'm on a plane to Nashville for the game and will be .20 for the next 3 days. You guys keep [BLEEP] about the writer.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:I could care less. I'm on a plane to Nashville for the game and will be .20 for the next 3 days. You guys keep [BAD WORD REMOVED] about the writer.

You care.  You wrote in the thread.  Enjoy the game

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

you really ought to raise your goals a little higher... 

Quote:you really ought to raise your goals a little higher... 
not really a goal and to be fair I didn't title the thread "I fantasize about being the new senior writer"   just new senior writer kind of like how someone else titled a thread new gm..   for some reason the mods didn't change his to i fantasize about being the new GM

Go Jags!

Quote:not really a goal and to be fair I didn't title the thread "I fantasize about being the new senior writer"   just new senior writer kind of like how someone else titled a thread new gm..   for some reason the mods didn't change his to i fantasize about being the new GM
Not to change the subject, but I think I saw your gif used on a particular episode of 'futurama' once. Am I correct?

Quote:Not to change the subject, but I think I saw your gif used on a particular episode of 'futurama' once. Am I correct?

yup the Why of Fry I believe when he goes into the info-sphere  

Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 02:29 PM by realtorpat.)

Daniel Since Day One:
Hi Pat, FYI: Lots and lots of people are talking about replacing David Caldwell. None that work for him, and maybe none that can ... But there are lots of people talking about it all the time!

People are always talking about replacing a GM.  The thing I would think about is who would you replace him with?  I would personally stick with the guy who got you your franchise QB, Long term answers at RG, LG, OLB, WR, and spectacular play from the DT position at a bargain.

<div>Dwight from Ponte Vedra Beach, FL:
Assuming Dante Fowler Jr.'s injury heals as planned, what are your thoughts on his impact when he returns for next season? Is he good enough to make an instant impact considering his absence from the game?

He is still a rookie coming off an injury, it would be smart for the team to invest more in the end position in the draft and free agency.  I don't want to rest all of our hopes for a pass rusher on one player.

<div>John from Jacksonville:
One thing that I haven't seen this season, at least with the Jags games, is a lean to attempt more two-point conversions after touchdowns with the new rule of a longer PAT kick. The only time is usually near the end of a game when it's needed (which is the same for prior seasons). Did you expect to see this more from teams or perhaps some other teams we haven't played are doing it regularly.

Two things, one I would rather the kicker get more practicing making gimmes.  Two, this teams Redzone issues do not give me a good feeling about its ability to convert for 2. 
</div>
</div>
Go Jags!

Gamble from Washington, DC:
While many fellow Jaguars fans still have their pitchforks and torches ready, isn't 2015 a success because the Jaguars found their quarterback? Barring injury, Blake Bortles will set the team's passing touchdowns record – and he's doing it with two (and maybe three) second-year receivers who are lighting it up. It's not perfect, but shouldn't we be stoked to have found a quarterback?

I am pretty happy about it.  I would be a lot happier about it if his offensive line was playing better.  Having found your franchise quarterback is equivalent to having the entire border of a puzzle put together, there is still much to do but the framework is there.

<div>Stephen from Jacksonville:
Is too much blame for the lack of pass rush placed on the Jaguars' current LEOs? The team has clearly shown Sen'Derrick Marks makes the pass rush better. Why is it generally thought that a pass rush must be built from the outside to inside? Do the Jaguars need another dominant interior pass rusher more than they need a dominant LEO?

The reality is this team has not had its starting Defensive line all year long.  They stop the run well and not much else, I wish they would be a bit better at eating up screens and containing quarterbacks.  Unfortunately I think we sacrifice those traits in order to focus on getting up the field which we still fail to do regularly.  As far as inside out or outside in I prefer both, I prefer teams that can win one on ones throughout the line.

<div>Kyle from Ohio:
Do you think we will get to a point where free agency is virtually gone? What I mean is the salary cap will continue to rise and rise as revenue does. I wonder if we will get to a point where teams can pretty much always keep their own free agents each year.

As the salary cap rises so do the player contracts that are signed.  Any team can keep their own players if they are smart with their cap, the problem is most teams are not smart with their cap or they sign silly contracts.

<div>Wayne from Orlando, FL:
Hey John, do you think it's a crazy idea that the Jags should trade away some draft picks to get some immediate impact players on defense? I think it would be a good move being that we already have core receivers, a running back and a quarterback for the future. Your thoughts, sir.

<b>I like when Caldwell has a full complement of draft picks If a team is willing to part with a player for a pick they probably consider that pick more valuable.  In the case of Randy Moss a few years ago for a late round pick I am all for it but any early round pick for a player is something I would not endorse.</b>

<div>Kevin from Jacksonville:
My heart tells me Marqise Lee would beat Denard Robinson in a 40-yard dash. But their combine says Marqise was at 4.44 (first attempt was 4.5!) and Denard at 4.32. These stats aside, what say you Sir O of Zone?

I could care less who would win in a footrace, I would like to see them outrun the other team for explosive plays.  The speed those two players have should be opening up this offense.

<div>Kyle from Palm Harbor, FL:
imitation Zone, I thought this was it, this was the season. Turns out it's just soup and sandwich at a coffee shop.

I went into the season expecting 7-9 and that is still my expectation.  They are fun and aggravating to watch which is much better than the embarrassingly aggravating that we got the last few years.  Enjoy the ride this team is obviously on the way up.

Dwayne from Jacksonville:
You said Fred Taylor's talent was rare. When he finished his career, I said, “Well Done.” P.S., It's rough when people expect an imitation senior writer to be able to predict the quality of the draft class we've not picked yet.

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
I can give it a try, I predict the team will make a couple quality picks and a couple bad picks and a pick or two that don't make the opening day roster.  It would pretty cool to have Kelvin, although I would hate it if he turned out to not be that good.  Might be borderline impossible to please this fanbase and their outer-worldly expectations for him.  

Go Jags!

Tom from Charleston, SC:
Embarrassed by another rookie quarterback, another loss for Jason Myers and a defense that has thrown in the towel. Tell me why you don't see this team at 4-12 and drafting early AGAIN?

I don't think they have thrown in the towel they just had many bad breaks today.  The long pass to Doral Green with a missed tackle, the 87 yard td run that looked like it could have been a sack followed by a horrible snap.  This game turned into a shootout and sometimes that happens, what was nice to see is our teams ability to keep firing.  Mariota may be a rookie QB but he is playing pretty well, this division is going to be fun to watch in the next few years.

<div>Kevin from Jacksonville:
Can they really justify staying with Jason Myers at this point?

I don't mean to brag but a few years ago a Baltimore kicker missed a 32 yard field goal in the AfC championship and I drunkenly declared I could make it to my friends.  100$ worth of bets later we headed to the field and I was good nearly every time till past 40 yards.  Now I am no athletic freak at 30 years old, but if I can regularly make a kick so should our starter.

<div>JD from the Villages:
Wow, what a game. An offense that can score almost at will is a work of art. And the defense can be fixed with the draft. We got somethin' here. Hate to say this so close to Christmas but the little fella has to go. Wouldn't you agree to all of the above?

They have something on offense.  They aren't too far away on defense either.  Its a shame this team has lost so many close games this season because our record could very well be much better, and if that were the case our glaring deficiencies wouldn't look as bad.

<div>Jerell from Columbia, SC:
Jags are a joke. Tell me about the progress they are making again?

When was the last time you saw a Jaguars QB throw 5 tds?  Or a 2nd year WR pass 1000yards in a season and have 3 TDs in the same day.  Telvin had a good stat line and many of the defenses failures were on what I consider fluke plays.  This team has been burned on 3rd and long with the opposing offense nearly on the goal line too many times this season, you flip the outcome on those plays or make the play and get the sack and this team is leading the division.  Just quit and laugh and renounce your fan hood because this team will be something soon and potentially for a while.  I'd prefer to sit and watch with true believers.

<div>Jeremy from Wise, VA:
Third downs are killing the Jags. Offense and defense. And the underneath to intermediate pass defense is terrible.

Offensively we were 10/14.  Defensively 8/13, they didn't convert everyone of their 3rd downs but they did make the plays and you can't fault them for that.  For most of the game we made the plays right back.  Mariota lives underneath and intermediate just so happens he hit on his lone deep throw today.

<div>James from Socorro, NM:
Good thing the defense is built.

The house I live in is built, it needs a new roof and updated kitchens and bathrooms before its everything I want.  The Jaguars similarly need to make additions.
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
Go Jags!

Quote:I guess taking some of the Ozone questions and answering them your own way.

I'm curious--- But lazy...  How did the current senior writer answer those questions?  I have a feeling your answers are better, but I'd like to verify.

Quote:I'm curious--- But lazy...  How did the current senior writer answer those questions?  I have a feeling your answers are better, but I'd like to verify.
Its actually kinda fun he tends to remind everyone that certain players are hurt or that its a process.  Often preaches patience or gets defensive about what he did or didn't say.  Almost seems like he reuses the same answers everyday from some kind of standard response word bank.  Thank you for reading I'll keep it up until I get bored of it.  Should try it out it can be kinda fun

Go Jags!

Michael from Newport News, VA:
The real question is what do the Jags have left for the rest of the season? Can we get to six or more wins?

I'm sticking by my guess of 7 wins this season although I think they will fall one short.  I think what we can expect the rest of the year is for the playbook to be opened up and for this team to fire away with everything they have.  I would like to see us get revenge on our remaining divisional opponents.

<div>Scott from London, England:
Over my 10 years of following this team, this is the first time I've felt like we've found our quarterback. Never been this excited to be a fan of this team!

That is probably the best thing to come from this season.  I will say Brunell, Leftwich, and Garrard were all very fun to root for even with their deficiencies.  Although horrible with us Gabbert might actually have been a franchise quarterback in the Alex Smith mold.  I'll take Bortles in a Favre mold anytime.

<div>Steven from Denton, TX:
Four more games for Gus Bradley and this coaching staff.

I don't expect that to be the case.  This season has been an indication this team is about ready to turn the corner.  Give this defense a healthy Marks and Fowler for half the season and we would probably have a better record by 4 games.

<div>Jeff from Rutland, MA:
Some great plays undone by some unbelievable goofs.

The 14 point swing from the 87 yard qb run and awful snap caused me to switch from beer to liquor.

<div>Royce from Jacksonville:
Mr. O, when is the answer simply that the Titans’ offensive players were better than the Jags’ defensive players? We are told about no pass rush, but never told why the pass rush is so bad. Several players were added on defense during the offseason and the team seems slower. What gives?

The difference yesterday comes down to a fluke 87 yard run and a bad snap leading to a FR for a touchdown.  If you take one of those 2 plays away its a win.  Yesterday both defenses got beat by both quarterbacks and a shootout happened.  We went shot for shot with them and that bad snap was equivalent to our gun jamming in the heat of battle.  That Mariota kid is pretty good too, the 87 yard run was nearly a sack for a 7 yard loss.

<div>Matt from Stroudsburg, PA:
If Myers makes his extra-point attempts at worst we are looking at a tie game with under two minutes remaining. I like the kid and think he'll be kicking in the NFL again, but it's inexcusable at this point. He has to go to send a message that failure isn't an option.

When I had seats in 409 a guy behind me used to say "put me in me coach" when a player failed to do something he could do.  I'm good from 40 nearly every time and have video proof.  Put me in coach.

<div>Kyle from Palm Harbor, FL:
Hate to break it to you and all the other fans, but this team is not close. They beat Miami (barely), Buffalo (narrowly), Baltimore (luckily) and Tennessee (flukily). They would not have beaten Buffalo if Tyrod Taylor and Sammy Watkins had been in the game. They have lost to two rookie quarterbacks. Close??? They are nowhere close to being close.

If you really look at the league there are only about 6 teams that look good.  Cincy, Pitt, Arizona, Seatle, Carolina, and New England the rest of the league is pretty close in terms of talent and record.  As of right now this team is on the way up and if you can't see it then leave and join another fanbase because you don't deserve it when it happens.  Those rookie quarterbacks are pretty good, Its not like we have some grizzled 10 year veteran.  Bortles is a 2nd year player playing with 3 second year receivers, 1 rookie RB 1 rookie WR.  Who cares what Buffalo didn't have, we have not had Fowler all year, we have not had Linder all year, most of the year we did not have Marks.  They are very close to being close and if you don't think so go be a fan for a team like Miami and enjoy purgatory.

<div>Pete from Jacksonville:
Defense? Worst in three years. What's up?

We can look forward to a bunch of those guys in the next draft I can promise that.

<div>Stan from Jacksonville:
We should have won the game. We didn't win the game.

This has been the story all season.  I expect the story next season to be we should not have won that game.  We won that game.
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
Go Jags!

Wayne from Orlando, FL:
You still think we shouldn't trade away draft picks for impact defensive players? I would give away my whole draft for a J.J. Watt – or anyone that could make a quarterback anxious, for that matter – because our guys up front just can't get it done.

<b>I would rather not trade away the future for a player.  Give me 7 new players and hopefully 4 work out well.  I like the slow methodical developmental approach to building a team.  </b>

<div>Andrew from Section 203:
I turned off the game Sunday at 14-6 because I knew the defense would be in for a long day. The defensive line needs to seriously reconsider their moniker of the 'Hit Squad'... please, enough with that.

<b>You missed Bortles and Robinson be exactly the types of players we have been hoping they would be.  The season will end before help gets here but we can look forward to some new members to the hit squad next season.</b>

I feel so sorry for the fan base. Not just for the last decade or so of watching this once-proud franchise, but also because they are still multiple seasons away from being truly good (assuming they even get there with this leadership). By my count they are eight-to-10 NFL-starting-caliber players away from being a winning team. That won't happen in one offseason. Care to opine?

My count is five.  Defensive ends = 2,  corners = 1,  LB = 1 FS = 1.  The rest of the bunch this team is lacking is injured.  Linder at guard, Marks at Dt, Fowler at end.  Lewis could be upgraded and we could use a faster MLB but we really aren't as far away as you think.  

<div>Michael from Newport News, VA:
So which current starters do you see being cut prior to next season?

Beadles, Lewis, Clemons, Branch, and maybe Gratz.  It really depends on what the scouting staff is seeing in this years draft and free agency.  If there isn't an immediate upgrade available you could expect to so some of those players back.

<div>Gary from High Springs, FL:
John, Gus Bradley babies these players too much. Yes, we need a coach that can encourage but we also need a coach that can give these players a kick in the butt. Using the word better … a better coach would have had eight-to-10 more wins over this three-year stretch.

I think you underestimate how bad this roster was.  Or how young the offense has been.  I think he is doing an amazing job getting the continued effort he has out of the players.  Now if the talent level was 3 years ago what it is now and he's not 10-20 wins better cut ties.

<div>Bill from Jacksonville Beach, FL:
John, would I be wrong to characterize Gus Bradley in Sunday's press conference as him not only having no idea why the pass rush isn't better, but also giving no clue as to how he and the coaching staff plan on rectifying the issue? Thanks! Go Jags!

Can't get pressure with four, or five, or six, or seven.  When you can't get pressure no matter what the scheme you run on any given down what does that tell you about the players tasked with bringing the rush?

<div>Brian from Section 238:
Well, now that we're back in reality and have stopped this playoff la-la-land talk, can we talk about how bad this defense truly is? The secondary needs an overhaul. The defensive line needs an overhaul and we need a backup linebacker who can at least fill gaps better than "Thursty for the bench" Armbrister. I blame Dave. Too many holes in this team. Still. It's year three. C'mon man.

<b>Outside of about two positions I thought they have played pretty well.  I don't know what to make of the secondary, when they have had pressure they have played pretty well.  It would be nice to have another Corner, another Linebacker, and more ends but other than that the rest of the defense has been decent.  A pass rush fixes a lot of this defenses issues.</b>

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
Go Jags!

Just for the fun of being critical here: I look at these posts you write and I think to myself, wow golly great! you can answer questions, Oehser shows that any person can answer questions with a bit of sarcasm and stream of conscious rants, but can you tell a story? I don't see your advanced writing ability here. Have you started blogging or writing anywhere else? Where is the commitment to the craft? Now, I can't speak much for grammar, however I do see some typos/errors that you'd need to clean up as well. Your answers do seem general or like stock answers as you say on several posts.

I'm sure you are probably better than Oesher in every major skill of being a journalist/writer, however we need to see the insight and ability that set you above if you really want to be a top-notch Senior Writer.

I'm not trying to trash you, just a challenging thought depending on how serious you are. I will say, At least you are trying, I mean Oehser did have his fly unzipped during the poolside interview for pete's-sake