Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Do you approve of GM Dave Caldwell's performance?
Yes
No
Corn #3
[Show Results]

How would you rate GM Dave Caldwells performance so far?

Quote:you guys know where I stand, and it will be proven that I was right all the time

FIRE CALDWELL

What color is the sky on your planet?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

His drafting has improved over the years (Grade is an A due to the core that has been built), but the FA signings have been a D/C because too many misses.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

We're still #1 in cap room. Fife gus, get a new coach and 'buy' some veterans who bring the culture you want in here.

You know football culture - not you can do anything business culture/ice cream social.

Quote:Fair point, but how many games do they really mean the difference in wins and losses?

How much pain would they have saved us?

Who knows its done now I'm just hopeful we turn it around next year at this point. Caldwells gotta find the uglies to win at the los
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:We're still #1 in cap room. Fife gus, get a new coach and 'buy' some veterans who bring the culture you want in here.

You know football culture - not you can do anything business culture/ice cream social.

You don't buy culture, you build it. A good safety FA would've been nice, maybe a better guard than Beadles. But, where else would you like a FA signing?

There weren't any real stellar LEO-type FA's on the market last year. There's a reason for that: teams don't let good pass rushers in their primes get to FA. They draft well and build through the draft. We have Fowler for next year, too.

Patience, people. Don't mortgage the farm just so an old, overpriced veteran has been can come vacation in the twilight of his career, a la Hugh Douglas, Jerry Porter, Aaron Ross, Aaron Kampman, etc. Every time we do that, we rob the next generation from getting reps.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM by Cleatwood.)

2014 draft alone should be an A

Franchise QB

All-Pro WR

Pro Bowl Guard

Pro Bowl LB

Potential Pro Bowl Corner

Undrafted Pro Bowl WR

I mean.... Yup

Quote:you guys know where I stand, and it will be proven that I was right all the time

FIRE CALDWELL
please go away

Quote:2013 2014 draft alone should be an A

potential Franchise QB

potential All-Pro WR

potential Pro Bowl Guard

potential Pro Bowl LB

Potential Pro Bowl Corner

potential Undrafted Pro Bowl WR

I mean.... Yup
FIFY

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Draft: A- (2013 was a bad draft year anyway, don't hold that against him)

FA: C-

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

C+

FIRE CALDWELL

I don't know man. I've seen your predictions on the college board.  You're typically wrong and it usually isn't even close.

I take you not liking Caldwell as a positive.

Quote:I don't know man. I've seen your predictions on the college board.  You're typically wrong and it usually isn't even close.

I take you not liking Caldwell as a positive.
I take anything that troll has to say and wipe my rear with it...

Quote:Give caldwell one more year to work on the defense but after four years there will be no excuses.

Caldwells found a good core with the offensive skilled positions but be has failed miserably at putting together a competent line or secondary and you can't win without the big uglies.

The offensive line is worse than when he got here, the defensive line is worse than when he got here, the secondary is worse than when he got here. And you can't say he hasn't addressed those positions yet, we've drafted and pursued free agents ywt those units are below average.

Monroe, Brewster, Meester, Nwaneri, Whimper. The offensive line was a disaster when Caldwell was hired. Monroe was the only solid player on the OL. It will be much better next year with Linder back and Cann at LG. Joeckel and Parnell aren't Pro Bowlers, but they are better than what the Jags had in the entire JDR era. It's very possible the Jags sign Mack at center next year, and if not then Wiz is not a liability.

The defensive line is also better, the big problem there is with coaching. Trying to play the Seattle defense without a true LEO is idiotic. We still need a pass rusher; they don't grow on trees.

The CBs are fine (again, it's on the coaching staff that Gratz plays instead of McCray). The safeties leave a lot to be desired. I agree it was a mistake to let Lowery and Landry go.

He should have also kept Smith, Jennings, and Knighton. I'm willing to overlook some mistakes at the very beginning of his tenure, especially since he couldn't make changes to the scouting staff until after the 2013 draft. His 2014 draft was exceptional, the 2015 draft looks good, although the jury is still out on Fowler.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:He should have also kept Smith, Jennings, and Knighton.

This is 20/20 hindsight. At the time Smith was injured and wanted too much $ to extend, Jennings was a nothing guy who still gets hurt too much, and Knighton wasn't going to resign period. Caldwell made the right moves in those cases based on what he knew at the time and Smith is the only one that should merit even a moment of reconsideration.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Knighton played pretty well in Denver, had one great season there, and is having an OK season for the Skins...

but stats wise meh... he's just a guy.

And we got a couple really good DTs here. I think I'd take Marks and Miller over him.

So please...

Please stop. 

Jennings? The RB?

REALLY???

PLEASE STOP.

You guys have 0 clue and even less actual intelligence.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:He didn't let Monroe go.

He drafted Joeckel because there was a strong argument he was the best player on the board at the top of that draft.

Drafting Joeckel gave him the flexibility to TRADE Monroe, who wasn't making anyone forget Boselli.  Trading Monroe away helped put us in position to trade up for Robinson and draft Telvin Smith.

Regarding the secondary, I don't think Caldwell or anyone argued that draft definitively fixed the secondary in one draft.  Besides, I return to the question I posed earlier.  What guy from that 2-14 team was worth preserving?  Who in that secondary was the indispensable playmaker the team couldn't live without?

Yes, Jennings was a decent back.   Nothing great, but decent.

But be honest. 

Of all of the guys you named, would you rather have any of those guys over Bortles?

Because if you assume one or more of those guys would have made the difference in a win or two (an overly ambitious proposition considering the same players led us to 2-14), then we likely would have missed out on Bortles.

Citing the Monroe trade as a plus because Caldwell was lucky to find good players still available in the late rounds is disingenuous. The trade was still two low picks for a starting LT. He could have gotten that and more by trading the 2013 #1 pick and keeping Monroe instead of drafting Joeckel. Of course Monroe wasn't suited to the zone blocking scheme, but it's better to use what your players are good at rather than dumping good players and replacing them to fit a new scheme. This year the offensive coaching staff seems to get that. The defense is still in la la land.

It was a mistake to keep better players because it would have resulted in more wins? Really, that's your position?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Just need a different coach

Quote:This is 20/20 hindsight. At the time Smith was injured and wanted too much $ to extend, Jennings was a nothing guy who still gets hurt too much, and Knighton wasn't going to resign period. Caldwell made the right moves in those cases based on what he knew at the time and Smith is the only one that should merit even a moment of reconsideration.

Knighton would most likely have re-signed. It saves the trouble of moving and Florida has no state income tax. You're just parroting speculation from the other defenders of the decision.

Quote:Knighton played pretty well in Denver, had one great season there, and is having an OK season for the Skins...

but stats wise meh... he's just a guy.

And we got a couple really good DTs here. I think I'd take Marks and Miller over him.

So please...

Please stop. 

Marks is a red herring; Knighton plays the same position as Miller, not Marks. I'd rate Knighton and Miller as roughly equal in 2014-2015. But Miller had a terrible 2013. The other consideration is that players become fan favorites. Replacing a fan favorite with another guy who's no better is just pissing on the fanbase.

Quote:His drafting has improved over the years (Grade is an A due to the core that has been built), but the FA signings have been a D/C because too many misses.
This I voted A for drafting. I really can't think of a team who has drafted notably better than us the last three years(the Raiders, Vikings, and Chiefs have also had good drafts). I would say C- for FA/trades. It would be an F based entirely on FA, but when you factor in the Monroe trade (which I hated at the time and have been proven wrong) and getting 6th rounders for guys we would have cut, as well as our current cap situation, It brings the second grade from failing to just below average.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015, 01:54 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:Citing the Monroe trade as a plus because Caldwell was lucky to find good players still available in the late rounds is disingenuous. The trade was still two low picks for a starting LT. He could have gotten that and more by trading the 2013 #1 pick and keeping Monroe instead of drafting Joeckel. Of course Monroe wasn't suited to the zone blocking scheme, but it's better to use what your players are good at rather than dumping good players and replacing them to fit a new scheme. This year the offensive coaching staff seems to get that. The defense is still in la la land.

It was a mistake to keep better players because it would have resulted in more wins? Really, that's your position?
It was two picks in an extremely deep draft for a LT who was going to leave in FA anyway.