Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Keys to beating the Chargers

*Hold up, "Your new stadium is in LA" signs.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Win the turnover battle and try keep Rivers off rhythm. He's an elite QB when he's in full flow.

Eat more chiken.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Pressure Rivers

Quote:Eat more chicken.

Jaguars don't eat chicken.

One of these days Melvin Gordon is going to find himself with a breakout game. Don't let it be this week. Keep them one dimensional with their receivers banged up, and don't drop easy INTs.

Offensively the Jaguars just need to play their game with no blatant mistakes and with better red zone success. The Chargers defense has been allowing gaping runs so the Jaguars should have a chance to get Yeldon going a bit more. I'd like to see TJ snag another 100-yard game.

Play smart and the Jaguars win this game out right.

'02

Quote:Jaguars don't eat chicken.

I'm sure they would if they were to find one. I've seen a jaguar leap into the air to snag a bird, so I don't think they'd avoid a chicken.

'02

Dam the river

Finish the game with a higher score... works every time.

More than any other QB I can remember outside of Brady, Jaguars fans have a healthy respect for Phillip Rivers.  It's damn near a phobia, which is remarkable considering he's never been to a Super Bowl.

But make no mistake I am not disparaging Rivers at all.

He has definitely earned respect from fans league wide, especially Jaguars fans.

Rivers has absolutely picked us apart during his career.  But given the injuries to his receivers and linemen, the poor performances of their replacements, the less than expected performance of Melvin Gordon, and the mindset of that team, where reportedly Rivers has openly questioned whether teammates have quit, the Bolts have never been more vulnerable to the Jaguars.

Even though Rivers destroyed our secondary, Gates was the one guy that was controlled relatively well, which is odd, considering this team's historical difficulty covering TEs.  But now that their top two receivers are out, I think Rivers may focus more on him.  I think if we utilize a similar strategy as it pertains to him that we did last year, I don't see him having the same level of success he did last year against us.  I think the secondary is covering far better than it did during the first four games of last year.

I think as long as we can avoid turnovers on the offensive side of the ball, we can win this game.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Finish the game with a higher score... works every time.

What is your plan for doing that?

Quote:We don't get much pressure on the passer this year.   So the question is, do we blitz more.   Because if we don't blitz, an elite QB like Rivers will pick us apart.   Unfortunately, if we do blitz, an elite QB like Rivers knows where to go with the ball, and he will still pick us apart.   So we can look forward to Rivers picking us apart no matter what we do. 

Therefore, the key to winning the game is our offense.   We need a good day offensively to win this game.   We've got weapons, but a lot of them we haven't even used yet, like Lee and Thomas and Rashad Greene.    We need to get all our weapons involved.  

If Blake has a good game, we will win.   If not, Rivers will pick us apart all day.

I agree with this conclusion. If we are to win, I see out offense dominating time of possession and scoring touchdowns, not field goals when we get in the red zone. Keeping Rivers on the bench is key, as is eliminating turnovers.

Quote:One of these days Melvin Gordon is going to find himself with a breakout game. Don't let it be this week. Keep them one dimensional with their receivers banged up, and don't drop easy INTs.

Offensively the Jaguars just need to play their game with no blatant mistakes and with better red zone success. The Chargers defense has been allowing gaping runs so the Jaguars should have a chance to get Yeldon going a bit more. I'd like to see TJ snag another 100-yard game.

Play smart and the Jaguars win this game out right.
Gordon hasnt broke out because they have the worst oline in the league with all the injuries. If our dline cant take advantage of their oline we will be in trouble

Quote:Gordon hasnt broke out because they have the worst oline in the league with all the injuries. If our dline cant take advantage of their oline we will be in trouble

And because he, quite frankly, isn't that good. He dances behind the line too often and his vision is pretty bad.

Chargers rule out RG D.J. Fluker (concussion) and list LT King Dunlap (ankle) as doubtful. #Jaguars

No excuse not to get pressure Sunday.

Here's to hoping the game is wrapped up by the 4th quarter.

Quote:And because he, quite frankly, isn't that good. He dances behind the line too often and his vision is pretty bad.
I dont think he is all that good but no RB would be good behind that oline.  Probably the worst in the league with all the injuries.  I think he is better than what we have seen.

The Jags have had the ability to make mediocre passers look like all-pros and good passers look like instant hall-of-famers.  Rivers is a good QB that will pick this defense apart if they don't have a pass rush.  Clemons needs to take a sip from the fountain of youth, and Branch needs to play like he is in the last year of his contract (that he is).   

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2015, 10:40 AM by Section105Fan.)

Rivers is averaging well over 300 yards passing per game.........he has to pass, their running game sucks. I see a lot of nickel and dime coverage.

The Jags have shown they can shut down the run, even against good running teams. Sunday, we need to continue shutting down the run, even when we're in nickel and/or dime coverage.

So, my first point is that we can't suddenly allow the Chargers to run against us.........we need to close that door and lock it good, making them one dimensional.

Rivers will get his 300 yards passing. The Jags are last in the NFL in allowing red zone scoring. Unless that changes Sunday, look for the Chargers to score often.

The Chargers are weak in run defense. It's time for Yeldon to break out for 125+ yards . This will also help us dominate time of possession, keeping Rivers off the field. The Jags have only one rushing t.d. this year......worst in the NFL. That has to change Sunday.

Bortles is a gunslinger, a la Brett Favre. He takes chances......makes foolish decisions at times. Sometimes they work, sometimes they result in turnovers that cost us the game. Knowing "when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em" comes with experience. Let's hope he improves in this area.

Field position will be very important this week. We can't give Rivers a short field to operate in. He will pile up the points if we allow him to operate on our side of the 50 all day. We need to make him drive 80+ yards, which increases the chances for a turnover.

I predict a close, high scoring game..........Jags 31. Chargers 27.

Quote:Andre branch must continue to terrorize qbs, and cyprien must continue to destroy rb's and wr's
"Andre Branch must continue to terrorize qbs"....? When did this ever happen except once in a blue moon?