Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Great analysis from ESPN on Bortles' improvement.

Anyone want to share the direct ESPN link? I really don't want to give BCC hits.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Anyone want to share the direct ESPN link? I really don't want to give BCC hits.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_...ing-better

My dude....

Quote:Anyone want to share the direct ESPN link? I really don't want to give BCC hits.

Lol

"...perfect pass to Allen Hurns."

C'mon Blake Haters. You should be jumping all over this blatant lie.

Quote:"...perfect pass to Allen Hurns."

C'mon Blake Haters. You should be jumping all over this blatant lie.

I *almost* posted the same comment verbatim but opted against it...lol.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:Bortles haters?

Oh yeah... we have a few posters on here that look at the stats and say Bortles isn't as good as Carr or Teddy.

He's mediocre.

Average at best.

Not good enough after 20 starts....

I can't believe you haven't seen them.

I think the writer of the article of himself would be one of 'those posters' based on this section:

Quote: 

To be clear, these eye-opening slices of a seven-game period still don't put Bortles close to the NFL's top quarterbacks. His overall QBR of 61.4 ranks No. 17 in the NFL, behind Carr and Bridgewater, among others. He is still committing costly turnovers, having had three returned for touchdowns already this season on top of four in 2014. And if you believe that no NFL quarterback should complete less than 60 percent of his passes, as many personnel evaluators do, you would be concerned by his current mark of 58.9.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">But the news seems positive in the context of a larger view. Bortles was historically bad last season. As ESPN Insider Mike Sando wrote at the time, there is a very short list of quarterbacks in recent history who have gone on to successful careers after the type of rookie season he had. Bortles has done enough this season to suggest he has a chance to be the exception.

So there's been a significant improvement to his game, but he is still a below average QB, and given the history of QBs with comparable trajectories his ceiling is probably in the average-slightly above average range. He even hedges his bets pretty heavily in the last sentence, e.g., there is a "chance" to be the "exception".

Quote:I think the writer of the article of himself would be one of 'those posters' based on this section:

So there's been a significant improvement to his game, but he is still a below average QB, and given the history of QBs with comparable trajectories his ceiling is probably in the average-slightly above average range. He even hedges his bets pretty heavily in the last sentence, e.g., there is a "chance" to be the "exception".

[Image: IdgMwlv.gif]

;

;

Quote:I think the writer of the article of himself would be one of 'those posters' based on this section:

do me a favor and go kick rocks
[Image: giphy.gif]

He good.

You guys are funny, I didn't write the article. 

Quote:You guys are funny, I didn't write the article. 

Tell us more about how Bortles improvement from last year hasn't been significant (your words) and that he isn't very good (your words).

Quote:Tell us more about how Bortles improvement from last year hasn't been significant (your words) and that he isn't very good (your words).

I'm not sure you fully read my post of the quote. Acknowledging there has been significant improvement was my first line. But he also noted he's still not close to top QBs, he's 17th rated (below average and still behind Carr and Bridgewater), still makes poor decisions (cites turnovers and pick 6s), cites the fact that Bortles is below the threshold for what the league standard takes to be acceptable, and the lack of success for players with similar starts and trajectories. And then like I said, he makes a very hedged bet in saying there's a chance he could be the exception to the rule. But that could be true of any QB, its so generally true its trivial. What point did you take him to be making in that passage?

Quote:I'm not sure you fully read my post of the quote. Acknowledging there has been significant improvement was my first line. But he also noted he's still not close to top QBs, he's 17th rated (below average and still behind Carr and Bridgewater), still makes poor decisions (cites turnovers and pick 6s), cites the fact that Bortles is below the threshold for what the league standard takes to be acceptable, and the lack of success for players with similar starts and trajectories. And then like I said, he makes a very hedged bet in saying there's a chance he could be the exception to the rule. But that could be true of any QB, its so generally true its trivial. What point did you take him to be making in that passage?

He's 17th. So if he was 16th, he would be "above average" right?

;

;

Quote:I'm not sure you fully read my post of the quote. Acknowledging there has been significant improvement was my first line. But he also noted he's still not close to top QBs, he's 17th rated (below average and still behind Carr and Bridgewater), still makes poor decisions (cites turnovers and pick 6s), cites the fact that Bortles is below the threshold for what the league standard takes to be acceptable, and the lack of success for players with similar starts and trajectories. And then like I said, he makes a very hedged bet in saying there's a chance he could be the exception to the rule. But that could be true of any QB, its so generally true its trivial. What point did you take him to be making in that passage?

6 weeks ago you said:

"Bortles is widely regarded as one of the worst QBs in the league, and its fairly obvious to anyone not drinking teal kool-aid."

5 weeks ago you said:

"The point is that bortles is one of the worst starting qbs in the league and there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel."

4 weeks ago you said:

"The point is sometimes you have to call it for what it is, and Bortles is not very good."

3 weeks ago you said:

"But its not exactly like his improvement has been a revelation for this team, or very significant at all."

Do you still endorse all of those statements or not?

Quote:He's 17th. So if he was 16th, he would be "above average" right?

No, he'd still be below average in my opinion. We're also trying to interpret another person's argument here. So let's put that into context with the other points of the article. Bortles is still making poor decisions that lead to TDs (for other team) , he's well below the acceptable accuracy threshold for a starting QB. He's completing 55% of his passes, that's got to be last in the league or close. So, no a mild improvement from where he is wouldn't put him in the above average range. How did you interpret the section I quoted?

Quote:No, he'd still be below average in my opinion. We're also trying to interpret another person's argument here. So let's put that into context with the other points of the article. Bortles is still making poor decisions that lead to TDs (for other team) , he's well below the acceptable accuracy threshold for a starting QB. He's completing 55% of his passes, that's got to be last in the league or close. So, no a mild improvement from where he is wouldn't put him in the above average range. How did you interpret the section I quoted?

What is your definition of average QB in terms of rankings?

Quote:6 weeks ago you said:

"Bortles is widely regarded as one of the worst QBs in the league, and its fairly obvious to anyone not drinking teal kool-aid."

5 weeks ago you said:

"The point is that bortles is one of the worst starting qbs in the league and there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel."

4 weeks ago you said:

"The point is sometimes you have to call it for what it is, and Bortles is not very good."

3 weeks ago you said:

"But its not exactly like his improvement has been a revelation for this team, or very significant at all."

Do you still endorse all of those statements or not?

1) No, I think this article is indicative of that fact league-wide sentiment has changed. Going in to the season, and even to that point, Bortles was still regarded as one of the worst.

2) I still think he is one of the worst, and I don't think his ceiling is higher than someone like Tannehil. Based on his poor accuracy, poor decision making, and major inconsistencies. I think his TD numbers have been inflated this year.

3) Yes, despite marginal improvement I still don't think he is very good since then. He completed like 40% of his passes against Buffalo, still with horrible INTs and that gw TD was a horribly thrown ball that Hurns made a tremendous play on. The TD numbers make it look better than it really is.

4) Yes, he has made some significant strides individually but it has't done anything for the team. He still hasn't won a road game and the team is still losing to other bottom feeders. The only wins were against a team in turmoil (who had since fired their coach) and a team with half of its starting offense and key defender injured. 

Quote:No, he'd still be below average in my opinion. We're also trying to interpret another person's argument here. So let's put that into context with the other points of the article. Bortles is still making poor decisions that lead to TDs (for other team) , he's well below the acceptable accuracy threshold for a starting QB. He's completing 55% of his passes, that's got to be last in the league or close. So, no a mild improvement from where he is wouldn't put him in the above average range. How did you interpret the section I quoted?

He's also 5th in TD passes

;

;

Quote:What is your definition of average QB in terms of rankings?

I'd say something like 63% 7.0 YPA 1.8:1 TD:INT ratio around 225 YPG is close to league average.

Quote:He's also 5th in TD passes

Inflated.