Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Truth about Bortles' completion percentage

Well I read today that Bortles is the only other QB since Brunell to have 950 Passing in the first 4 games

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

A young offense misfiring at times?  Surely you jest...

Why even discuss this issue when - at present - there's no viable alternative?  This team isn't making the playoffs and might as well wait until the end of the season to evaluate his progress, and go from there.

Quote:A young offense misfiring at times?  Surely you jest...

How long does it take to not be "young" anymore? Another 2-3 years?

He's throwing balls well over guys heads along the sideline at times. Gotta at least keep it in bounds to give them a chance

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/PFF'>Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/PFF/status/652171341324513280' title="2:18 PM - 8 Oct 2015">5m5 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">Most air yards lost due to drops so far: 1. C Newton (139) 2. S Bradford (133) 3. B Bortles (118) 4. R Mallett (112) 5. C Palmer (92)

Quote:<span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/PFF'>Pro Football Focus<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@
PFF
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/PFF/status/652171341324513280'>5m5 minutes ago</a></span></span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">

Most air yards lost due to drops so far: 1. C Newton (139) 2. S Bradford (133) 3. B Bortles (118) 4. R Mallett (112) 5. C Palmer (92)

</span>

I dont care, that doesnt account for a 55% rate. That's obscene.

Quote:He's throwing balls well over guys heads along the sideline at times. Gotta at least keep it in bounds to give them a chance

You need to @ Blake Bortles on Twitter so that he knows this

Quote:I dont care, that doesnt account for a 55% rate. That's obscene.
Perhaps you could start a poll about it?

Quote:How long does it take to not be "young" anymore? Another 2-3 years?

I don't know, you tell me.  Our 3 primary receivers and QB are 4 games into their 2nd season.  Our primary running back is a rookie.  

Just relax, everything will work itself out.  Either the team will continue to grow and get better like they should this year, or Gus will likely lose his job.  I'm sure you want one of those two outcomes and you're more than likely going to get one of them.

Quote:I dont care, that doesnt account for a 55% rate. That's obscene.

Sensibly adjusted for drops, he'd be closer to 58%.

Quote:I don't know, you tell me. Our 3 primary receivers and QB are 4 games into their 2nd season. Our primary running back is a rookie.

Just relax, everything will work itself out. Either the team will continue to grow and get better like they should this year, or Gus will likely lose his job. I'm sure you want one of those two outcomes and you're more than likely going to get one of them.

Again, dempsey said it best: they chose to go about doing it this way. Their job is to put a competitive product on the field and win games, and if they dont, then there will be consequences.

This is the nfl. Most coaches and gms dont get 2, let alone 3 throw away years.

If it takes 5 or 6 years to build a team to a sub .500 record, then that's not a very good way to build. Khan is fortunate that fans have been as patient as they have. Most other fanbases wouldnt be this understanding. I just hope Dave hasnt taken it for granted.

Quote:Again, dempsey said it best: they chose to go about doing it this way. Their job is to put a competitive product on the field and win games, and if they dont, then there will be consequences.

This is the nfl. Most coaches and gms dont get 2, let alone 3 throw away years.

Every situation is different.  If we keep throwing games away or have a terrible record by the end of the year than I'm sure changes will be made.  

Quote:I've seen a lot of people bring this up as a point of contention with him, even though we freaking see all the dropped balls by receivers, so I thought it would be good to put it into perspective for people who don't keep track.

Bortles is 85 out of 156 for a 54.5% completion percentage rate. Our receivers have dropped 11 balls, and that's not even including stuff like last week where A-Rob tried to high point the ball instead of running under it like he should have. If you add those 11 drops, he would be at a completion percentage of 61.5%. If you add the one play from last week with A-Rob to those drops as well then the completion percentage goes up to 62.1%. That's just behind Derek Carr's completion percentage of 62.6% and he doesn't have anywhere near the drops we do and doesn't attack downfield quite as much. Not to mention Bortles would be WELL over (understatement) 1000 yards without the drops. You see the difference those 11 drops makes in how good your QB's stats look. 

That stat ends up being fairly misleading because percentages should be changed for all QBs then to see adjusted completion percentage.

I adjusted his completion percentage based on what is the league average for drops (6.19 per team) and it ends up rising to 57.6.

Quote:I've seen a lot of people bring this up as a point of contention with him, even though we freaking see all the dropped balls by receivers, so I thought it would be good to put it into perspective for people who don't keep track.

Bortles is 85 out of 156 for a 54.5% completion percentage rate. Our receivers have dropped 11 balls, and that's not even including stuff like last week where A-Rob tried to high point the ball instead of running under it like he should have. If you add those 11 drops, he would be at a completion percentage of 61.5%. If you add the one play from last week with A-Rob to those drops as well then the completion percentage goes up to 62.1%. That's just behind Derek Carr's completion percentage of 62.6% and he doesn't have anywhere near the drops we do and doesn't attack downfield quite as much. Not to mention Bortles would be WELL over (understatement) 1000 yards without the drops. You see the difference those 11 drops makes in how good your QB's stats look. 

Please continue on, I absolutely love the fact that we're defending our QB with a stat that no other team goes by... wait... oh crap... they do? Oh man, this stat is lost and useless now, my bad brother man. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:That stat ends up being fairly misleading because percentages should be changed for all QBs then to see adjusted completion percentage.

I adjusted his completion percentage based on what is the league average for drops (6.19 per team) and it ends up rising to 57.6.

Which again just proves that no matter which way you try and polish a turd, at the end of the day, it's a turd. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Which again just proves that no matter which way you try and polish a turd, at the end of the day, it's a turd. 

I never said it was great.

AnyGivenSunday calling out turds. That's good.

Quote:Sensibly adjusted for drops, he'd be closer to 58%.

Which is still bad. Michael vick territory.