Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
General Manager Dave Caldwell on the hot seat with Gus?

Quote:I think Caldwell has done a nice job. He can't help the injuries and he can't help that Gus isn't getting the most out of these players.
+1

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Luke joeckel - not a world beater, but he's getting better. Considering how well that first round draft class was, he's looking ok. You cannot call him a bust, that's for sure.

Cyprien - he's progressed well. He's been quietly having a good year. This is beginning to look like a very good pick.

BB5 - looking like the answer. Looking like a very good pick.

Lee - too early to say... but looking like a bust. Does not look like a good pick at this moment in time.

AR15 - looks like a legitimate 1000 yard receiver. At this moment, he looks like a very good pick.

Fowler - he's a question mark. Maybe he comes back from knee surgery and becomes an all pro, maybe he becomes a bust.

Yeldon - pretty early, but he looks pretty darn good. Good pick

So there's my unprofessional analysis of our 1st and 2nd round picks under DC.

One bust and one question mark. The rest are either serviceable (Luke) are showing signs of being really good.

This is not to mention all the late round pickups like burns and Linder and shoelace...

Not to mention getting a 6th for a washed up gabbert and another 6th for a washed up scobee.

DC has done a darn good job.

I guess you can scream about the albino rhino, but that misstep is not worth getting rid of the guy.

He's building a contender... we may need a better HC, but our GM is legit.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 10:39 AM by DUUUUUVAAL TIL I DIE.)

One of my biggest gripes with Caldwell to be honest is during the first year/2nd year of free agency we didn't bring more veterans to help this process go smoother. A veteran wr would help in this offense and just like having DB depth would've helped when we were playing practice squad guys. But I still like Dave's overall picture

Jaguars Braves Hawks Gators

Quote:One of my biggest gripes with Caldwell to be honest is during the first year/2nd year of free agency we didn't bring more veterans to help this process go smoother. A veteran wr would help in this offense and just like having DB depth would've helped when we were playing practice squad guys. But I still like Dave's overall picture
I can't believe how hard it is to grasp......

Free Agency only works when both parties agree.

Caldwell and Gus can WANT veteran WRs all day every day....

but when they sign elsewhere for more money or less money to stay with a contender, whatcha gonna do?

You really think a vet WR would have done more good than Sullivan did with our young WRs?

Being buried on the depth chart behind Arob and Hurns wouldn't have gave Bortles that much of a safety net.

There weren't a lot of veteran options worth two flips. Cobb, Maclin, and den??

In the first year, DC was just trying to get bodies in here. The roster was among the worst in NFL history. So he was just trying to get young talent. In the 2nd year, he admitted that mistake. He said in interviews that he undervalued the importance of veteran leadership.

Quote:In the first year, DC was just trying to get bodies in here. The roster was among the worst in NFL history. So he was just trying to get young talent. In the 2nd year, he admitted that mistake. He said in interviews that he undervalued the importance of veteran leadership.
His first year was also when free agents were probably not real interested in coming to Jax. It took a couple seasons for us to be seen as a spot where FA might actually want to go (for the right price) 

And even still Jax is perceived as being bottom barrel, and guys like McCourty and Cobb would rather take less dollars and try for a ring.

Quote:I can't believe how hard it is to grasp......

Free Agency only works when both parties agree.

Caldwell and Gus can WANT veteran WRs all day every day....

but when they sign elsewhere for more money or less money to stay with a contender, whatcha gonna do?

You really think a vet WR would have done more good than Sullivan did with our young WRs?

Being buried on the depth chart behind Arob and Hurns wouldn't have gave Bortles that much of a safety net.

There weren't a lot of veteran options worth two flips. Cobb, Maclin, and den??
Im not even talking about a maclin or cobb dude. I'm talking a nate washington type wr when these wrs were rookies to help guide them. Like they looked to greg jennings possibly this offseason. And those guys aren't ultra expensive but okay I said cobb or maclin.

Quote:In the first year, DC was just trying to get bodies in here. The roster was among the worst in NFL history. So he was just trying to get young talent. In the 2nd year, he admitted that mistake. He said in interviews that he undervalued the importance of veteran leadership.
Yeah and I'm saying he should've had a few more veterans then just doing that, and he even said in a press conference or interview in the future that he wish he had. Its not like im saying bring in the top talent, but it doesn't hurt to have depth obviously...

If the biggest concern was bringing in a few more mediocre vets during the first year, I think it's safe to say DC is doing a great job!

Quote:So... you posted this thought in one thread and then created a new thread?

Almost immediately.

And you people wonder why threads get deleted....

Well here are my thoughts, on topic.

Caldwell isn't perfect, but I dare you to find a GM that has made every right move all the time. I don't think it is time to move on from him. I don't think Chris Polian can take the credit and Caldwell gets none. And I'm pretty sure clot fans were glad the little Polian was gone and many Jags fans weren't ecstatic about the hire when it happened.

Now... throwing the Gus Bus over the edge isn't enough.... you want to get rid of the guy who is the only one in the past.... decade to give us talent, actual talent at the QB and WR position... seemingly replaced MJD well enough (after a couple fa tries) with Yeldon.

Essentially building an awesome core of offense for the foreseeable future. (Coupled with some very good young linemen and hopefully a TE threat, if he can stay healthy)

He also brought a defense out of the dumps, and while they aren't great, we went from bottom third to top third in sacks.

Also... aside from maybe having a superstar pick (we'll see with Fowler) this defense has improved even when we thought it'd be crap.

He did all this after gutting a roster and starting from scratch.

And after 3 years because of a perceived notion that his coach can't seem to get his young players to settle in, you want to get rid of the GM as well?

And start over, again?

And you think Chris Polian is the man for the job?

Wallbash
Well said...

Quote:If the biggest concern was bringing in a few more mediocre vets during the first year, I think it's safe to say DC is doing a great job
Yeah I think Dave has done fine, I'm not saying beat the man for it lol

Quote:Im not even talking about a maclin or cobb dude. I'm talking a nate washington type wr when these wrs were rookies to help guide them. Like they looked to greg jennings possibly this offseason. And those guys aren't ultra expensive but okay I said cobb or maclin.
Jennings? Washington?

No way guys like that would help our team. Not seeing it.

I know you weren't specific, but I was to show that there weren't a lot of options. What they did try, didn't work.

You can't just magically make guys come here. And we don't know who they offered what to. You only know what twitter or ESPN tells you.

And that isn't always the truth.

When you have lack talent you should always be drafting BAP, and not for need. Caldwell has drafted for need.

-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Quote:When you have lack talent you should always be drafting BAP, and not for need. Caldwell has drafted for need.
Considering how void this team has been of talent in the past couple of drafts, BAP and need are pretty much the same thing.

Regarding any potential Caldwell departure, it's not going to happen, and if it did, Polian would be on the same list for consideration as Gene Smith.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:When you have lack talent you should always be drafting BAP, and not for need. Caldwell has drafted for need.
You only have the ability to truly draft BAP when you have talent.

When you desperately need a position, like we have with QB, DE, S, WR

you have to target those positions.

Teams can go truly BAP when they have guys in place at the most important of positions.

I'm curious how you know who they considered BAP?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Caldwell is doing okay.  Yeah, Cooper would have been nice to have over Fowler, but we have to wait to see what Fowler becomes before judging the pick as terrible.  Bortles isn't great, but he's improving.  If only we could get into the Red Zone, instead of missing field goals.  Plus with the Jags being the Jags, Cooper probably tears his ACL on the first day of training camp anyway.

Chris Polian shouldn't be mentioned as a candidate for the new GM -- UNLESS Aaron Rodgers, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, and Richard Sherman all sign contracts stating they'll be Jags for life if Chris Polian becomes the GM of the team.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

What in the blue hell are you thinking OP????

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:If the biggest concern was bringing in a few more mediocre vets during the first year, I think it's safe to say DC is doing a great job!
Exactly.

The players they brought in via free agency in year 1 were nothing more than band aids that were there to fill a role while the team transitioned to the new philosophy of building almost exclusively through the draft.  If you look at the guys they brought in, most were signed to "show me" deals.  Of those, guys like Marks actually proved themselves to be much more than just bodies, and they were rewarded.  The team intentionally didn't go heavy into free agency in year 1 or 2 because they wanted the draft to be the primary focus.  In year 3, the team spent the 4th most money in free agency to target certain veteran players.  We're in a different place now than we were the first two years.The team showed this year that they were willing to spend the money to target guys who could help this team.  They did at least make moves in that direction last year with their pursuit of Mack, so that was when the mindset started to transition. 

I think Caldwell has stuck to a script, and he's not going to deviate from it at this point.  This is still a young team, but it's now completely his team. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Not so fast my friends! Before we just defend DC which everyone typically do to poor performances, lets look at what he really did..

He let go of a proven LT and drafted one not proven in Joeckel, which at the moment is looking like a bad decision.And a wasted draft pick..

He let Mjd go, and bought in Gerhart and paid him more money... Hmmm another bad and idea..

He reaches for players in the draft often..

Now im not saying he is horrible but hes not great either. His job has to be evaluated with Gus as well!