Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1 quarter into the season what are the Jags top 5 position team needs?

Quote:A "true #1 receiver" isn't a complement. What the team really needs is someone like John Brown in Arizona. Someone that can stretch the field. Robinson is on pace for 1300 yards. He is developing into a potentially great receiver. They basically need what Lee is unable to provide.
A traditional outside speed receiver with separation skills absolutely, in my mind, would be a good complement to go with Hurns and Robinson.  Lee is potentially a nice player, but he's never on the field. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1. offensive gamebreaker

2. pass rusher

3. CB

4. LB

5. Safety

First let me  say one of the top team needs we passed on with Amari Cooper. That decision right there makes me question Caldwell's philosophy.

People keep saying we need to upgrade pass rusher, but does anyone really think  about a single elite pass rusher winning games for  you?

Let's take  JJ Watt. He's the most dominant pass rusher around. Have the Texans won anything? So even if Dante Fowler could just "match" JJ Watt's numbers,  it  still  guarantees nothing in terms of victory. Pass rush wins games when it comes from all sides of the field,  not just one player, and still the rest of the defense must be solid or  better at their position.

That being said, you know what helps win more games and affects offensive playcalling more than  an elite pass rusher?  THE SCOREBOARD.

Get elite talent on offense  score points. Have more points then the  other team  win  the game.

Create a large margin  of points on the scoreboard,, make the other offense change it's entire gameplan, possibly abandoning a run game in the process.

The philosophy of our team is the  problem.  So  the position I think  of most need, is to  change the position of your philosophy.  Points win  games. Stack the offense.

Defense holds games together, and every so often will help pull a win out for you,, so make a gameplan that doesnt sit on  it's heels 10  yards off the  mark of where it could  actually make an impact.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=green size=3><I></I></FONT> 

Quote:First let me  say one of the top team needs we passed on with Amari Cooper. That decision right there makes me question Caldwell's philosophy.

People keep saying we need to upgrade pass rusher, but does anyone really think  about a single elite pass rusher winning games for  you?

Let's take  JJ Watt. He's the most dominant pass rusher around. Have the Texans won anything? So even if Dante Fowler could just "match" JJ Watt's numbers,  it  still  guarantees nothing in terms of victory. Pass rush wins games when it comes from all sides of the field,  not just one player, and still the rest of the defense must be solid or  better at their position.

That being said, you know what helps win more games and affects offensive playcalling more than  an elite pass rusher?  THE SCOREBOARD.

Get elite talent on offense  score points. Have more points then the  other team  win  the game.

Create a large margin  of points on the scoreboard,, make the other offense change it's entire gameplan, possibly abandoning a run game in the process.

The philosophy of our team is the  problem.  So  the position I think  of most need, is to  change the position of your philosophy.  Points win  games. Stack the offense.

Defense holds games together, and every so often will help pull a win out for you,, so make a gameplan that doesnt sit on  it's heels 10  yards off the  mark of where it could  actually make an impact.

So you are saying the Broncos made a mistake when they took Von Miller over AJ Green?

Surprised people are saying safety, I think all four of the safeties who've had playing time (Brown, Cyp, Sample, Evans) have all played well. Unless things go south from here on out, I'm happy with that position. 

Not so surprised people are saying pass rush since it's been bad this year... but (theoretically) our two best pass rushers have combined to play 0 snaps. Also for some reason the coaching staff continues to play Chris Clemons and Andre Branch instead of Ryan Davis and Chris Smith. Seeing Smith as a healthy scratch yesterday honestly blew my mind, I'm pretty tired of seeing Branch hopelessly flail into the offensive line. Regardless I think a Leo rotation of Fowler/Davis/Smith/Skuta would be fine next year. 

I would go with these 6 (because I'm a rebel that way):

1. WR Depth - People are calling for a "true #1 WR". I'm not sure what people's definition of that is, but right now our top 2 WRs are on pace to combine for 148 catches, 2576 yards and 16 TDs. The problem (and also the reason why they're putting up such big numbers) is that they are really the only 2 receiving options on this team right now. Thomas coming back will help. Perhaps Lee or Greene will get healthy and develop into that 3rd option. Also it makes me wonder how good the WRs could be if they managed to sign Cobb in the off-season. 

2. In-line TE - TE has been a black hole of production both as receivers and as blockers. Marcedes looks toast. He hasn't even graded well as a blocker for a long time. Lewis and Harbor are both FAs and I think both should be gone. Invest into a replacement for Lewis either in FA or with a fairly high pick, I think. 

3. LT - Offensive line play has been uneven but I expect that the starters at LG -> RT next year are currently on the roster. Joeckel still looks bad, unless he really turns it around the rest of the year I think this position should be a high priority in FA or in the 1st round. 

4. NT - Roy Miller is what he is, a serviceable stopgap, but not much more. He doesn't kill you out there but I would like to see them look for an upgrade if one is available.

5. LB - Skuta has been everything we could want and more, but Telvin has been struggling and Poz, while still solid, is getting up there. Also the depth is non-existent unless some of these guys have secret talent that's been hidden from us. I would at least like to see them spend a pick on somebody to develop behind or replace Poz (like picking Cann this year), and if Telvin's play doesn't improve he could get replaced as well. 

6. CB - Like NT, the cornerback position isn't bad exactly, just underwhelming. I wouldn't say any of the top 4 guys are a detriment, but none of them stand out either. Also the lack of INTs from the secondary is frankly ridiculous. If the draft were tomorrow I would say our first round pick is most likely either a LT or a CB. Free agency would be a possibility as well. 

1. LG

2. LT

3. C

4. MLB

5. SLB

Can't run and barely adequate pass protecting.  The line needs upgraded.  Fix the line and the offense will be night and day better and more consistent.  Can't stop anything underneath or from the tight ends until after the catch and a few extra yards.  Need more athletic linebackers with quicker instincts.  Fix the underneath stuff and slow opposing tight ends and you'll see the defense take a big step forward because it will give the defensive line enough time to get home - combined with a competent offense.

Go get Marshall Yanda and Alex Mack to play LG and C and then draft a new LT.  Or you can give large amounts of money to Russell Okung as well (probably not a good idea) and draft a MLB.  Joeckel then becomes trade bait for a mid to late rounder (4th or 5th maybe?).  Zane Beadles can be cut with no dead money and a cost savings.

Quote:So you are saying the Broncos made a mistake when they took Von Miller over AJ Green?

Did Denvers offense or defense carry them to a super bowl? Had they had Thomas, Thomas, Sanders, Welker, AND A.J Green o you think that Super Bowl looks the same?

Look at Green Bay, the always have receivers 3-4 deep on that roster.

I'm saying that Hurns, Robinson, Cooper, Thomas, is ifinitely better than swapping Lee for Cooper. Our drafting philosophy has been to count on unproven WR when we can't afford to pass on a proven talent that was the best WR in the draft. Considering we haven't had WR threats like Jimmy/ Keenan in 15 years, in a pass happy league,yet we have had a top five defense and not seen even an afc title game, I stand behind that offense wins games,, defense saves the lead. 9-17 points a game for the last three years isn't cutting it.

I am surprised no one has mentioned head coach yet.
"Knowledge is power, guard it well."

Quote:Did Denvers offense or defense carry them to a super bowl? Had they had Thomas, Thomas, Sanders, Welker, AND A.J Green o you think that Super Bowl looks the same?

Look at Green Bay, the always have receivers 3-4 deep on that roster.

I'm saying that Hurns, Robinson, Cooper, Thomas, is ifinitely better than swapping Lee for Cooper. Our drafting philosophy has been to count on unproven WR when we can't afford to pass on a proven talent that was the best WR in the draft. Considering we haven't had WR threats like Jimmy/ Keenan in 15 years, in a pass happy league,yet we have had a top five defense and not seen even an afc title game, I stand behind that offense wins games,, defense saves the lead. 9-17 points a game for the last three years isn't cutting it.

I get those clamoring for WR, and I was one for Cooper also in the draft. And yes our OL isn't "fixed". The difference is, we still have "potentials" in those positions.

ARob is a borderline #1 and Hurns is proving that he's a solid #2. Can they be upgraded? Yes. But next season is their 3rd year. They SHOULD be able to shoulder the load next season (though if they crash and burn the rest of the year, this changes obviously).

Same with OL, where Luke is showing adequate, Linder is good, and Cann should emerge to replace Beadles.

Meanwhile, at DE we have Fowler returning from an ACL, an even older Clemons (if he's even brought back) and Davis/Smith who just can't convince the staff that they are able to play full-time. So yeah, defense is needed.

Also, unless you can rush four and be able to get to the QB, you'll always have a hard time beating an elite QB like Brady and Rodgers. Think of the team that's given them fits: Seattle, SF, NYG.

If Fowler emerges and our top pick DE also hits...then we end up with two premier rushers. Never a bad thing in the NFL

1. Head Coach

2. Head Coach

3. Head Coach

4. Head Coach

5. Head Coach

You do realize that in week one, only I've datamined so far,,, almost all the winning teams didn't have many sacks? What they did have is more points. I'm all for Hurns and Robinson, I have then on my FFteam. But Lee wasn't healthy last year. He didn't prove or help anything. All his potential was combine and practice field. Chad Owens anyone? Cooper was a proven college prospect with much more accomplish,nets than Lee. He was the undeniable top WR and arguably best prospect in the league. We passed on him, and is putting up Robinson,Hurns numbers btw, and my consolation is I've got a guy coming in next year off a torn ACL. Sounds wonderful.

Lucky for us Fowler got hurt and not Hurns or Robinson. We'd average 6 points a game then.

Stack the offensive cubbard, then Worry about the defense. There is a reason why the Atlantas can suck or two years because of defense then turn it around to be tops in the league. They keep their offenses loaded.