Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perspective

Anyone negative that thinks the Jaguars would have been at or better than 1-3 after the first quarter of the season, I would love to hear what you expected prior to the season starting.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Anyone negative that thinks the Jaguars would have been at or better than 1-3 after the first quarter of the season, I would love to hear what you expected prior to the season starting.
That was my point in another thread.  The people who are making the biggest racket about the loss yesterday were predicting a sub .500 season for the team anyway.  Suddenly they're expecting much more than that because Gus and Dave said the team is built?  I don't think the phrase means what they think it does.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:That was my point in another thread.  The people who are making the biggest racket about the loss yesterday were predicting a sub .500 season for the team anyway.  Suddenly they're expecting much more than that because Gus and Dave said the team is built?  I don't think the phrase means what they think it does.

Absolutely.  If anyone says that prior to the start of the season they expected this team to have a better record at this point they are full of you-know-what.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Anyone negative that thinks the Jaguars would have been at or better than 1-3 after the first quarter of the season, I would love to hear what you expected prior to the season starting.

I didn't expect much from this team this season.  I was satisfied from a development point of view yesterday.  I saw enough positives that I'm not railing on the lack of talent complaint.  There is enough unproven and raw talent on the team we could actually see an up arrow this year.  I love wins but winning that snoozefest of a boring game wouldn't  help.  Those types of wins help expose the conservative let's play a perfect game mentality that will be problematic.

Look I get it.  Put in a game plan to milk the clock and play conservative so you have a chance to win in the end.  With the way the season has started I can't really fault that plan.  But JT coming back or any of our other missing players aren't going to be the magic wand that starts a juggernaut of a season.  We need more draft picks and we need more free agents.

This team is ridiculously young on offense and marginal on defense.  The defense is going to get gassed and bombed the more the offense plods along.

Buckle up.  Even this sloggfest of boring branded football is football so we have that going for us.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I didn't expect much from this team this season.  I was satisfied from a development point of view yesterday.  I saw enough positives that I'm not railing on the lack of talent complaint.  There is enough unproven and raw talent on the team we could actually see an up arrow this year.  I love wins but winning that snoozefest of a boring game wouldn't  help.  Those types of wins help expose the conservative let's play a perfect game mentality that will be problematic.

Look I get it.  Put in a game plan to milk the clock and play conservative so you have a chance to win in the end.  With the way the season has started I can't really fault that plan.  But JT coming back or any of our other missing players aren't going to be the magic wand that starts a juggernaut of a season.  We need more draft picks and we need more free agents.

This team is ridiculously young on offense and marginal on defense.  The defense is going to get gassed and bombed the more the offense plods along.

Buckle up.  Even this sloggfest of boring branded football is football so we have that going for us.

So what are you saying?  You expected the Jaguars to have a better record at this point?

Quote:So what are you saying?  You expected the Jaguars to have a better record at this point?
I gave you my expectations for this year.  I don't think the record means anything at this point.  Did anyone believe we were contending for the playoffs?  I don't fault anyone for wanting to vent their spleens about the team.  I have no problem with "perspective" threads either.

I'm not looking for gotcha posts on an Internet message board.  If that was what I wanted, I would post on CNN, FOX and Huffpo comment sections.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Have you ever actually played any sport?

Young teams that are struggling gain confidence through winning.  As they start to cobble together wins, it tends to snowball.  There's an absolute mindset that teams who win consistently share. 

I've played baseball. I've played football and ran track in high school. I also ran track in college for 2 years. You said they need to learn to win. I don't believe you need to learn anything, you just do it. And if you can't do it either you didn't deserve to win or you aren't good enough to win. The idea you need to learn to win is stupid, as if these players didn't experience winning in high school, college, or any other stage in their life. Gain confidence...pftt!!! So what do they gain by losing? Fear and doubt? And that swings back to confidence with wins? You should have confidence every game, win or lose.

Quote:That was my point in another thread.  The people who are making the biggest racket about the loss yesterday were predicting a sub .500 season for the team anyway.  Suddenly they're expecting much more than that because Gus and Dave said the team is built?  I don't think the phrase means what they think it does.

I was one of the people predicting a 6-10 or 7-9 season and also expected them to be 1-3 at best this season. However, when it was announced that Luck would be out yesterday with the Colts being as poor as they were <b>with him playing </b>in the first 3 games, I rightfully expected to be 2-2. I understand that we are missing a few key players on both sides of the ball, but putting up 13 points on a defense of that quality, as well as letting 40 year old hasselbeck throw for 282 yards is just really concerning. I like the talent we have and have seen big improvement from our QB, WRs and RB, however the lack of half time adjustments and low point totals point to a poor coach. 

Quote:Scobee was cut because he was hitting 60% of the time. There's nothing to indicate he would have magically been better yesterday.

The problem right now is that this is a young team that hasn't learned how to win games. That will come...hopefully.

I agree here. Let's not forget that we have a young team that is trying to mesh. Blake, TJ and Hurns played great! That is a nice trio. These guys are the future!

Quote:I was one of the people predicting a 6-10 or 7-9 season and also expected them to be 1-3 at best this season. However, when it was announced that Luck would be out yesterday with the Colts being as poor as they were with him playing in the first 3 games, I rightfully expected to be 2-2. I understand that we are missing a few key players on both sides of the ball, but putting up 13 points on a defense of that quality, as well as letting 40 year old hasselbeck throw for 282 yards is just really concerning. I like the talent we have and have seen big improvement from our QB, WRs and RB, however the lack of half time adjustments and low point totals point to a poor coach.

I agree with your overall point. Circumstances change. Before the season we expected the Colts with DirecTV, not the Colts with cable.

Just because you predict a 6 or 7 win season does not mean you are not allowed to be disappointed when one of those wins doesn't come against a 40 year old backup QB and getting beat by a 42 year old kicker. Is that really expecting much?

Quote:Just because you predict a 6 or 7 win season does not mean you are not allowed to be disappointed when one of those wins doesn't come against a 40 year old backup QB and getting beat by a 42 year old kicker. Is that really expecting much?

No it isn't. Every year you see a team or teams that were terrible the previous season turn things around and either make the playoffs or the very least finish with a winning or close to winning season. For some reason that NEVER is the case with this team. I guess we as Jag fans have unrealistic expectations.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:No it isn't. Every year you see a team or teams that were terrible the previous season turn things around and either make the playoffs or the very least finish with a winning or close to winning season. For some reason that NEVER is the case with this team. I guess we as Jag fans have unrealistic expectations.
Don't fall for the apologist theory that we should be happy that we're blessed with an NFL team and that wins don't matter.  

We need to drive the mediocrity theory out of this team and demand excellence.  

The games are rigged if Myers would've made one the refs would've thrown a flag for the Jaguars trying to win offense.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 10:16 PM by Eye of the Storm.)

Quote:Don't fall for the apologist theory that we should be happy that we're blessed with an NFL team and that wins don't matter.

We need to drive the mediocrity theory out of this team and demand excellence.
Lol. Sad thing is we're so far away from being mediocre I can't even see a glimmer light for us to be anywhere close for us to being excellent.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Self fulfilling prophecy, is it not?

Have low expectations, and we suck if we meet those expectations.

Exceed them and we still suck.

I completely agree we need to win games.  All the games.

But unlike last season, I'm more confident in the team's ability to be competitive and play well enough to win games.  Bortles is moving the ball better and making better decisions.  It's a shame our pass rush is nearly non-existent and we can't stop anyone up front. It's also a shame our kicker is green.

We've got too many key players out. Enough to take a playoff team out of contention. Considering we aren't playoff material, not sure what some expect. That's just the reality, and the reality isn't nice. There are no playmakers to help Bortles out, and no plays are being made on defense, particularly in crunch time.

Players make the plays, not the playbook. We need more.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Whatchu talking bout willis? It should have never came to the kicks anyway. Can't let the backup throw for nearly 250 yards. Then on offense we struggle scoring on one of the worst defenses in the league this year.

8 games won, 22 games lost, .222% Winning is Gus Bradley's record as HC for Jaguars

----------------------

24 games won, 28 games lost, .462% Winning is Joe Philbin's record & he was fired yesterday as a result of it.

Even if gus won out the rest of the games and lost in the playoffs he still wouldn't be a .500% winning coach after three years.....

How many people think that the Jaguars will finish 13-3?   Most doubt if the team can pull of six wins this year, but if they did Gus Bradley would be 14-28 .333% winning still way lower than Joe Philbin's record... just saying for perspective...

I think I may need glasses. I'll never be able to read that.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 06:52 AM by jagfanthrutherottenyears.)

Quote:Overly dramatic rant in font that is way too large

By the logic of this post, if Gus finished this season 13-3, he should still be fired because his overall win % is less than .500. Think about that for a minute. You fired a coach who took a bunch of young players and turned a 3-13 record into a 13-3 record but you would want to fire him due to the number of losses he accrued his first two years with pretty much no talent and a roster of rookies. Do you realize how irrational that sounds? 

After this past Sunday, I have no interest in defending Gus at all and I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was joining Philbin in the unemployment line. But to make any argument against him that includes firing him if he finishes this season with a 13-3 record is absurd. Do I think we'll finish 13-3? Absolutely not. But there are enough valid arguments against Gus as HC that you don't need to spam the board with this nonsensense.

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson