Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rob Ninkovich give Blake some love

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015, 04:28 PM by BrownianMotion.)

NE will definitely not be overlooking the Jags. In fact, they got a head start preparing for them over the offseason. They've spent a lot of time looking at Jacksonville. 

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newe...offseason/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Outside of a No'reaster (sp?) that brings a ton of rain and lots of high winds, or perhaps injury knocking him out of the game early...? No.

We'd somehow have to matchup better with them than anyone else in the league does, play the receivers all bump and run or press, and he would somehow have to overthrow his receivers all day.

They are a dink and dump offense with their homerun throws going to gronk.... maybe if we do play press on the wrs, and then sit on the short yardage stuff while double teaming gronk, we can slow them down?

I'm just spit balling, but I think if I were the coach, I'd make then throw everything to the wrs and try to take gronk out of the game... force them to test colvin, house who we have in single coverage with their wide outs..

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015, 04:35 PM by badger.)

Quote:They are a dink and dump offense with their homerun throws going to gronk.... maybe if we do play press on the wrs, and then sit on the short yardage stuff while double teaming gronk, we can slow them down?

I'm just spit balling, but I think if I were the coach, I'd make then throw everything to the wrs and try to take gronk out of the game... force them to test colvin, house who we have in single coverage with their wide outs..

the problem is Edelman and the running backs will eat you up underneath if you double Gronk over the top.

i think the key to beating NE has been the same since Brady started playing there.  You mix it up, try to disguise your coverages, confuse Brady, and get pressure.  If you cant get pressure, nothing you do will matter.

Quote:They are a dink and dump offense with their homerun throws going to gronk.... maybe if we do play press on the wrs, and then sit on the short yardage stuff while double teaming gronk, we can slow them down?

The problem with playing press against these WR is that they have a very quick release - especially Edelman. Once they beat the CB who is in press, the defense is vulnerable to giving up a huge play, unless you put a safety over the top. That's why most defenses (even the elite ones who have very smart and competent defensive coordinators) don't typically play press coverage against us all that much. 

Focusing primarily on Gronk with a double or triple team leaves the defense vulnerable to shifty and speedy guys like Edelman and Amendola who have high YAC potential, to Scott Chandler who is a big TE and a capable pass catcher, and to Dion Lewis who I believe is top 5 in all purpose yards from scrimmage this year. 

Quote:the problem is Edelman and the running backs will eat you up underneath if you double Gronk over the top.

i think the key to beating NE has been the same since Brady started playing there. You mix it up, try to disguise your coverages, confuse Brady, and get pressure. If you cant get pressure, nothing you do will matter.

I hear ya about Edelman... with one caveat--- the risk with giving yo the stuff underneath is that they will just methodically march down the field... but I like our LBs to keep the yards Edelman gets to 3-5 yards... if we can do that, I think there's a chance the drives cab sputter out.

Pressure on Brady has to come from the front 4, otherwise he'll just find the open receiver... I'm not saying to not blitz, but I like our chances a lot better if we can rush him with just 4.

BTW, I do agree that pressure with the front 4 (especially interior pressure) is the way to beat Brady. However, there was an article today or yesterday that highlighted the fact that this season, Brady has gotten the ball out in about 1.9 seconds. That kind of neutralizes a stout Dline. Even the Bills with their top tier Dline couldn't get any pressure.

Quote:BTW, I do agree that pressure with the front 4 (especially interior pressure) is the way to beat Brady. However, there was an article today or yesterday that highlighted the fact that this season, Brady has gotten the ball out in about 1.9 seconds. That kind of neutralizes a stout Dline. Even the Bills with their top tier Dline couldn't get any pressure.

Totally see that as the patriots type of offense now...

He's dinking and dunking, nickle and diming down the field. Just like he did to us in 2008.

You gotta sit on the short stuff in the middle and the flats..

Quote:Totally see that as the patriots type of offense now...

He's dinking and dunking, nickle and diming down the field. Just like he did to us in 2008.

You gotta sit on the short stuff in the middle and the flats..

We have to take chances and make them earn it.  I don't want to just give them 8 yard plays all day long.  Play to win.  If we play press and they beat our guy than they deserve it.  If we don't and he eats us alive underneath than we gave it away.

Quote:We have to take chances and make them earn it. I don't want to just give them 8 yard plays all day long. Play to win. If we play press and they beat our guy than they deserve it. If we don't and he eats us alive underneath than we gave it away.

I think we are in agreement there. The question is the best way to ensure when Brady checks down, we're there to tackle for a 3-5 yard gain instead of an 8-10 yard gain.

If you press the the WRs, then have the 1 of the lbs keying on the rbs, and gronk double teamed with the sam lb and Evans over the top, I think you can do it.

I'm just throwing stuff against the wall, but thought I'd pay DC for a bit.

The last think I want to see is us playing soft zone that lets them nickle and dime us down the field. That would be frustrating to watch.

Quote:I think we are in agreement there. The question is the best way to ensure when Brady checks down, we're there to tackle for a 3-5 yard gain instead of an 8-10 yard gain.

If you press the the WRs, then have the 1 of the lbs keying on the rbs, and gronk double teamed with the sam lb and Evans over the top, I think you can do it.

I'm just throwing stuff against the wall, but thought I'd pay DC for a bit.

The last think I want to see is us playing soft zone that lets them nickle and dime us down the field. That would be frustrating to watch.

It would give me nightmare of 2007 all over again.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2015/09/22/...est-pats-d
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:How insane would it be if we managed to somehow beat NE?

I don't think it'll happen at all.

But man if it did.  Man, if "any given Sunday" happened this Sunday for us...
It would somehow come back to bite us, when we somehow make the playoffs and play them again.

Quote:How insane would it be if we managed to somehow beat NE?

I don't think it'll happen at all.

But man if it did.  Man, if "any given Sunday" happened this Sunday for us...

It's possible

I'd love to beat the Patriots, but if forced to choose one, I would rather see the Jags beat the Colts.  That would put us right in the Division race. 

Quote:I'd love to beat the Patriots, but if forced to choose one, I would rather see the Jags beat the Colts. That would put us right in the Division race.

Ya it would be great but in the grand scheme of things, beating NE in week 3 is not that important.

Quote:Ya it would be great but in the grand scheme of things, beating NE in week 3 is not that important.

Dude, if we beat NE, we make the playoffs...  That type of win solidifies so much.  We'd have such a huge momentum push from that, I think we'd dominate our division.

With that said, the odds of us beating NE are astronomical.  It's more likely all posters in the Jungle would be struck by lightning than the Jaguars beating NE this Sunday.

Quote:Dude, if we beat NE, we make the playoffs... That type of win solidifies so much. We'd have such a huge momentum push from that, I think we'd dominate our division.

With that said, the odds of us beating NE are astronomical. It's more likely all posters in the Jungle would be struck by lightning than the Jaguars beating NE this Sunday.

Meh, remember the Garrard years we would beat good teams and then have a let down against worse competition.

If we beat New England I could see us going 9-7 or 10-6+. That type of win is a landslide momentum change for a young, unpredictable team like this. Don't see it happening but it's nice to fantasize.  :teehee:

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:Dude, if we beat NE, we make the playoffs...  That type of win solidifies so much.  We'd have such a huge momentum push from that, I think we'd dominate our division.

With that said, the odds of us beating NE are astronomical.  It's more likely all posters in the Jungle would be struck by lightning than the Jaguars beating NE this Sunday.

It would definitely be a great win for you guys, but keep in mind that Miami defeated us in week 1 last year. KC defeated both us and Seattle. Neither team made the playoffs.

It's still early.

Quote:It would definitely be a great win for you guys, but keep in mind that Miami defeated us in week 1 last year. KC defeated both us and Seattle. Neither team made the playoffs.

It's still early.

Yeah, but KC had Denver in thier division.  Miami had you guys...

Our division looks ready for the taking right now...  But I get what your saying.