Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tight Ends - what's wrong ?

Marcedes is only in the game to block. The one attempt yesterday he ran an out route 5 yards down field right into the defender and the ball just flies past him. It's pretty sad.

No pain, no gain.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Whats wrong?

Answer:

Marcedes     Lewis

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Jags have always liked TE that can block. Brady did it for Brunell and that was with Boselli and Searcy. It's scheme.

I think since Thomas is out they have a different mindset on picking plays for the offense. The playbook is built with Thomas as the starting TE and Lewis can't run the routes that Thomas can. Lewis is more of a blocking TE, a very expensive one. 

I think it all comes down to the play of the opponents LB corps, which in the case of both the Panthers and the Dolphins is very fast and reliable in coverage. Thus, the problem is that Clay Harbor is not getting open on passing downs and so Blake looks to his WRs.

Marcedes Lewis and Nic Jacobs are mainly blockers.  Still it would not surprise me if we see more passes thrown their way in the redzone where nobody will be looking for them to make the catch.

I don't think Marcedes Lewis is as bad as most people think.  Is he a Gronkowski or even a Heath Miller?  Obviously no, but he does still play well.  He had one ball thrown to him that was a drop.  How many drops were made by WR's?  What puzzles me is that Clay Harbor is usually pretty sure handed, but has not shown up on the radar.  As other teams start getting game tape and learning what our offense is about, look for Allen Robinson as well as other WR's to be covered more closely.  At that point, the TE's have to come into play.  My guess is that we'll see more TE targets this week against NE, whoever the target is.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Lewis sucks and the rest are a couple of nobody's.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

All I know is we need Julius Thomas. I think once we have a threat at TE, it will boost Bortles and this offense.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Lewis sucks and the rest are a couple of nobodies.

Julius Thomas is a somebody. As long as he is on the roster you need to count him.

Lewis is blocking. Plain and simple.

Jimmy Graham went up to Seattle to block.

Thomas will open this offense up when he returns. Until then Lewis is doing grunt work.

Quote:I think since Thomas is out they have a different mindset on picking plays for the offense. The playbook is built with Thomas as the starting TE and Lewis can't run the routes that Thomas can. Lewis is more of a blocking TE, a very expensive one. 

I disagree M. Lewis was drafted as a receiving TE, while over the years he has improved his pass blocking abilities (he remains weak as a run blocker).  He would probably be considered average if not below as a solely blocking TE.  The thing is he is below average as a receiving TE and with his giant contract they've chosen to use him as a blocker rather than to cut him.

Quote:I don't think Marcedes Lewis is as bad as most people think.  Is he a Gronkowski or even a Heath Miller?  Obviously no, but he does still play well.  He had one ball thrown to him that was a drop.  How many drops were made by WR's?  What puzzles me is that Clay Harbor is usually pretty sure handed, but has not shown up on the radar.  As other teams start getting game tape and learning what our offense is about, look for Allen Robinson as well as other WR's to be covered more closely.  At that point, the TE's have to come into play.  My guess is that we'll see more TE targets this week against NE, whoever the target is.

That's true I guess its what we have observed ever since he got that big contract (having only one good year in his career).  He isnt that bad as a receiving TE when healthy, I think they just need to practice throwing to him more during the weak before the game to get the rust out.... he has dropped many passes over the last decade, but his height & speed (even though he's slowed down a bit over the years) is still worth a try to get him the ball  I mean heck if youll throw to Greene like 20 times and he only catches half why not a few more attempts towards Lewis?

Quote:Lewis is blocking. Plain and simple.

Jimmy Graham went up to Seattle to block.

Thomas will open this offense up when he returns. Until then Lewis is doing grunt work.

You know I have a hunch he'll get more targets his way against the Pats this week!

Quote:You know I have a hunch he'll get more targets his way against the Pats this week!

That will not matter if they go over his head again.

This is his year (he needs to look good if he wants Jags or any other team to sign him in Free Agency), so I think if Blake looks his way this game that he'll come with it!

A Marcedes just ain't what it used to be, to many miles on them tires... It's hard to have quality depth when you are paying so much for 1 TE already.