Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Selling out games

Quote:The blackout rule here was gone when Khan bought the team. He would not allow blackouts like Weaver did.
The NFL actually suspended the blackout policy for the 2015 season back in March.

Khan was making sure the blackouts didn't happen here after he bought the team.  This year the league is doing it league-wide.

For the record, there were zero blackouts last season in the league before the policy was suspended.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The NFL actually suspended the blackout policy for the 2015 season back in March.

Khan was making sure the blackouts didn't happen here after he bought the team.  This year the league is doing it league-wide.

For the record, there were zero blackouts last season in the league before the policy was suspended.
There were zero blackouts because

a)  there were some clubs like Oakland that reduced stadium seating capacity;

b) clubs would often purchase unsold seats

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:There were zero blackouts because

a) there were some clubs like Oakland that reduced stadium seating capacity;

b) clubs would often purchase unsold seats
ALSO Vikings only sold 52,238 tickets with 73,000 capacity not even close so did not meet blackout rule many times last year. Doesn't anyone remember all the media attention regarding ticket sale decline. This is only related to FCC ruling. Federal government was not going to continue agreeing to TV blackout rule and NFL was not going to test the rule when it was agreed upon during a time when non ticket revenue did not make up as much of budget as it does now.

Lots of teams bring fans from the road. I remember the Jags having quite a few the last time they visited us here in Atlanta. Apparently, several thousand Jags fans will be making the trip to Tampa.

Attendance is outstanding considering the product on the field right now. 

Quote:There were zero blackouts because

a)  there were some clubs like Oakland that reduced stadium seating capacity;

B) clubs would often purchase unsold seats

Many teams wrestle with ways to avoid the blackouts.  There are only a certain number of teams that can boast a string of sellouts consistently, and aside from Green Bay, they're all big market teams.  The funny thing is that many of those big market franchises play in smaller venues than the Jaguars, so they have larger pool of fans to work with, and less inventory to move.  And still, there are bigger market teams that don't sell as many tickets as the Jaguars do on a regular basis.  Jacksonville and the surrounding area have really had to overachieve. 

Finding ways to avoid blackouts wasn't behavior that was exclusive to Jacksonville, but you'd never know that listening to the media.

How do you think Miami has been able to achieve the lack of blackouts?  Anyone who has watched a Dolphins home game knows that their attendance at home games is pretty lackluster.  Same with Tampa.  But, the Jaguars are the team that gets hammered.  Or at least they used to.  Why?  Because the team didn't do a good enough job of reaching out to the business community to take care of buying up those remaining seats.  That has changed under Khan's leadership.

You never hear anyone talking about the entire upper deck of that dump in Oakland being covered in tarps to reduce capacity.

When Indy built their new stadium, they made it smaller than their previously small venue in order to anticipate a drop in ticket sales when the team started to struggle again.

During their down years, Carolina was struggling to bring in more than 15-20k for some of their games, but they still claimed a sellout because they had the PSLs that assured people were on the hook to buy their tickets no matter what.  Fans just stopped coming to games. 

The tacks have a similar PSL situation, but look at the number of empty seats they have there for home games of late.

The Rams are another team that has had so much trouble selling tickets that it's the impetus behind potentially NOT getting a new stadium and ultimately relocating.

Here in Jacksonville, considering the level of production we've seen from the Jaguars, particularly over the past 5 years or so, I'd have to say that the fans here have stepped up and done their job, continuing to grow the season ticket basebdespite the team struggling. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Many teams wrestle with ways to avoid the blackouts.  There are only a certain number of teams that can boast a string of sellouts consistently, and aside from Green Bay, they're all big market teams.  The funny thing is that many of those big market franchises play in smaller venues than the Jaguars, so they have larger pool of fans to work with, and less inventory to move.  And still, there are bigger market teams that don't sell as many tickets as the Jaguars do on a regular basis.  Jacksonville and the surrounding area have really had to overachieve. 

Finding ways to avoid blackouts wasn't behavior that was exclusive to Jacksonville, but you'd never know that listening to the media.

How do you think Miami has been able to achieve the lack of blackouts?  Anyone who has watched a Dolphins home game knows that their attendance at home games is pretty lackluster.  Same with Tampa.  But, the Jaguars are the team that gets hammered.  Or at least they used to.  Why?  Because the team didn't do a good enough job of reaching out to the business community to take care of buying up those remaining seats.  That has changed under Khan's leadership.

You never hear anyone talking about the entire upper deck of that dump in Oakland being covered in tarps to reduce capacity.

When Indy built their new stadium, they made it smaller than their previously small venue in order to anticipate a drop in ticket sales when the team started to struggle again.

During their down years, Carolina was struggling to bring in more than 15-20k for some of their games, but they still claimed a sellout because they had the PSLs that assured people were on the hook to buy their tickets no matter what.  Fans just stopped coming to games. 

The tacks have a similar PSL situation, but look at the number of empty seats they have there for home games of late.

The Rams are another team that has had so much trouble selling tickets that it's the impetus behind potentially NOT getting a new stadium and ultimately relocating.

Here in Jacksonville, considering the level of production we've seen from the Jaguars, particularly over the past 5 years or so, I'd have to say that the fans here have stepped up and done their job, continuing to grow the season ticket basebdespite the team struggling. 
Preach my brother

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 05:29 PM by MoJagFan.)

It will be interesting to see the stadium size they put in LA.  Chicago is a large market with a small stadium and it works for them.  I think the projects the Jaguars are using are very impressive.  They have improved game day, the look of the stadium and made the most of the London game.  The television shots featured the pools over and over again and didn't hear diddly about the upper decks.

Gotta hand it to the city, the team and the fans.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:The NFL actually suspended the blackout policy for the 2015 season back in March.

In September 2014, the FCC suspended the blackouts...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/30/fcc-eliminates-nfl-blackout-rules/16480131/

I'm now thinking this was only for the season which is why the owners had to vote to keep the blackouts suspended for 2015.

'02

Attendance is not an issue for us, which is surprising. As long as at least 45k show up its all good

Quote:In September 2014, the FCC suspended the blackouts...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/30/fcc-eliminates-nfl-blackout-rules/16480131/

I'm now thinking this was only for the season which is why the owners had to vote to keep the blackouts suspended for 2015.
The owners are calling this an experiment to see if the blackout rule has run its course, and it really doesn't impact ticket sales one way or the other if it's suspended permanently. 

Quote:Many teams wrestle with ways to avoid the blackouts.  There are only a certain number of teams that can boast a string of sellouts consistently, and aside from Green Bay, they're all big market teams.  The funny thing is that many of those big market franchises play in smaller venues than the Jaguars, so they have larger pool of fans to work with, and less inventory to move.  And still, there are bigger market teams that don't sell as many tickets as the Jaguars do on a regular basis.  Jacksonville and the surrounding area have really had to overachieve. 

In addition to all of that, I made several trips recently (within the last year) up to the Washington DC area, and it certainly is not a "small market".  DC has tarps on some of their seats.

Why is this not shown prominently on national television like it was when the Jaguars did the same?  There could be a couple of reasons.

First reason could be because Jacksonville is that "little hick town in Florida" whereas Washington DC is a "real" place.

Second reason could be that when Jacksonville placed tarps over areas, it was the beginning of a real recession regarding the economy.  When something like that happens, it tends to hit places that are on the lower end of the average earnings scale quicker and more harshly than major cities.  Jacksonville, as well as most other NFL cities saw their ticket sales plummeting because people just didn't have the disposable income to buy NFL tickets.

The NFL saw that the failing economy was hurting ticket sales throughout the league, and is doing "damage control".  They don't want their product blacked out because revenue would fall further.  After all, they do need that television revenue.

Where the hypocrisy is, and I find this mildly amusing, quite a few websites and fan sites mocked the Jaguars for the tarps, yet they are seeing the same thing in their own stadiums right now.  I personally would like to see the economy turn around to the point that ALL teams start filling their stadiums.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think we even predicted at the time that there would be a ripple effect and the economic downturn would impact bigger markets over time.  It's interesting to see that coming to fruition, and even more of a revelation about how the media doesn't pay any attention to what's happening in bigger markets.  If they ever did acknowledge it,they'd simply chalk it up to a bad economy and move on to the next thing they could use to take shots at Jacksonville.

This organization is ahead of the curve on finding new and creative ways to keep the fans involved and make the game day experience an entertaining and interactive one.  Just wait.  You'll see other teams doing this in the future.  They make fun of the pools and the jumbo screens, but watch what other teams that are trying to find ways to bolster their revenue and ticket sales do.  I have no doubt you'll see a lot of the measures this organization has taken to right the ship popping up in some surprising places. 

Quote:I think we even predicted at the time that there would be a ripple effect and the economic downturn would impact bigger markets over time.  It's interesting to see that coming to fruition, and even more of a revelation about how the media doesn't pay any attention to what's happening in bigger markets.  If they ever did acknowledge it,they'd simply chalk it up to a bad economy and move on to the next thing they could use to take shots at Jacksonville.

This organization is ahead of the curve on finding new and creative ways to keep the fans involved and make the game day experience an entertaining and interactive one.  Just wait.  You'll see other teams doing this in the future.  They make fun of the pools and the jumbo screens, but watch what other teams that are trying to find ways to bolster their revenue and ticket sales do.  I have no doubt you'll see a lot of the measures this organization has taken to right the ship popping up in some surprising places. 

The simple thing is, fans don't recognize the difference between a money decision (revenue) over a team decision.  That goes not only locally, but nationally.  I thought that I ran across an article that said that the Jaguars were one of the top performing teams as far as revenue, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:In addition to all of that, I made several trips recently (within the last year) up to the Washington DC area, and it certainly is not a "small market".  DC has tarps on some of their seats.

Why is this not shown prominently on national television like it was when the Jaguars did the same?  There could be a couple of reasons.

First reason could be because Jacksonville is that "little hick town in Florida" whereas Washington DC is a "real" place.

Second reason could be that when Jacksonville placed tarps over areas, it was the beginning of a real recession regarding the economy.  When something like that happens, it tends to hit places that are on the lower end of the average earnings scale quicker and more harshly than major cities.  Jacksonville, as well as most other NFL cities saw their ticket sales plummeting because people just didn't have the disposable income to buy NFL tickets...

It could also be the Redskins stadium has the largest capacity in the league. It's nearly double the league's smallest capacity stadium.

'02

Quote:Maybe this is just me but it always seems when watching a Jags game on TV they make it a point to show the entire stadium to see if it's full.

My family lives around the STL area and they keep the cameras located on the field the whole time. Never see the crowd and I've been to plenty of Rams games and it never looks sold out.
More than likely it's because we have a pool. The biggest screen on top and some of the coolest perferred seats you could ask for. I always look at the seats to see how full it is just to see. Yes on tv it looks slammed but only until that moment when all Jag fans know that moment. You ask yourself does it matter??? YES But it sounded just as loud when Carolina fans screamed. 

Can you really blame some fans for not wanting to show up to games?  I am a die hard 1995 original fan and I was bored to tears watching this offense play last Sunday.  Then watching that long killer drive by carolina that pretty much ate up most of the 4th quarter.  It's both boring and frustrating to watch the typical Jaguar game the last 4 or 5 years. I still support the team but hate the product on the field.  The team needs to start showing up

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]