Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bowanko is backup LT (3rd)

Quote:Ah shucks. True. It's nap time.

Will they tell us a story about the Jaguars in the 90s again?  I know its a fantasy to have a passing attack game like that in today's Jaguars but its nice to dream.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Will they tell us a story about the Jaguars in the 90s again? I know its a fantasy to have a passing attack game like that in today's Jaguars but its nice to dream.
Once upon a time, the Jaguars had competent coaching.
No commercial messages in sigs

You know everyone is focusing on Marcus Mariota, but the Titans Defense was really good in that game against the Bucs.  The main reason is the former decade DC Dick LeBeau as the titans new Ast HC. 

If Gus does get fired they really should jump on the chance of bringing in Dick LeBeau as the Head Coach.

Quote:You know everyone is focusing on Marcus Mariota, but the Titans Defense was really good in that game against the Bucs. The main reason is the former decade DC Dick LeBeau as the titans new Ast HC.

If Gus does get fired they really should jump on the chance of bringing in Dick LeBeau as the Head Coach.

That guy is 90 years old. The bucs are a horrible team with a rookie qb. maybe that had something to do with their defense looking good?

Quote:RT Pasztor was a decent backup in the past but still why not sign a free agent or undrafted FA or trade for a decent backup LT if nothing else?

They did. Brennan Williams.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Bo athletic enough to play tackle? Would be pretty sweet if he can. Young doesn't look like he belongs in the NFL
I agree Young isn't an NFL lineman

DC should have provided the team a better alternative

Quote:But we are only in PreK while they are collegiates.

RT Pasztor was a decent backup in the past but still why not sign a free agent or undrafted FA or trade for a decent backup LT if nothing else?

They believed they had a decent backup LT already on the roster in Josh Wells. They didn't expect him to break his hand and miss the entire season.

Quote:You know everyone is focusing on Marcus Mariota, but the Titans Defense was really good in that game against the Bucs.  The main reason is the former decade DC Dick LeBeau as the titans new Ast HC. 

LeBeau is 78 years old. He has a Hall of Fame-worthy 12-33 career record as a head coach. If the team finishes 3-13 and he's the best they can get to replace Bradley, I hope the team gives Gus a three-year extension.

Quote:They believed they had a decent backup LT already on the roster in Josh Wells. They didn't expect him to break his hand and miss the entire season.
This, pretty much.

TJBender what about Kyle Shanahan?

Rotoworld in regards to Luke..

Jacksonville's O-line fell apart after Joeckel exited last week's game with an ankle injury. Joeckel hasn't returned to practice yet but losing his walking boot is a step in the right direction. Sam Young would start in Joeckel's place if he can't go Sunday against the Dolphins.

Quote:TJBender what about Kyle Shanahan?
Give me someone who didn't utterly destroy one of the best quarterback prospects of the last decade, thanks.

I believe we've already looked at Shanahan...twice. If he wasn't the answer in 2012 and he wasn't the answer in 2013, I doubt he'd be the answer in 2016 if a new coach is needed. I refuse to give up on Bradley at this point. If we're winless at the bye...ok. Maybe it's time to talk about who will lead the Jaguars in 2016 then, but not in week one.

As I've said before, I wouldn't even consider an interim coach, because I don't think any coach on the current staff is the right guy to replace Bradley if the time comes. With Del Rio, I felt good about the idea of Koetter, Tucker or Duffner getting a shot at the head job. Now? No. No one. I don't see a single coach on this staff that I look at and go, "Yep, he could replace Bradley if we needed someone to."

I disagree TJBender, he was the only OC that was able to get production from RG3 (his injury which injuries happen, had more to do with his father keeping in the game than it did the play calling).

I haven't given up on Gus Bradley either, I mean it took him awhile in Seattle to get the Defense he wanted (and he stated the team is now built).  I am only concerned with the new & improved offense looking so bad in the first game, but it was only one game.  I have not lost hope, but if they come out looking flat against Miami I might be truly concerned with it.

I always liked J.D.R. I didnt get why more fans didn't support him, but I really liked Coughlin.  He got blamed too much for the salary cap, but he's still a great HC.

In fact the only HC I never had supported was Mularkey.  I am still scratching my head on that one.

JDR was relentlessly vilified by the likes of FBT (whom I'm reloving right now, bizarrely). My guess is, we were spoilt by early success, so we frowned on being average. Now we hope for 6, JDR's floor. Times have changed. If Bradley had succeeded JDR he'd no longer be coaching in Jacksonville. Luckily for him, Murlakey buffered...
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:I disagree TJBender, he was the only OC that was able to get production from RG3 (his injury which injuries happen, had more to do with his father keeping in the game than it did the play calling).

I haven't given up on Gus Bradley either, I mean it took him awhile in Seattle to get the Defense he wanted (and he stated the team is now built).  I am only concerned with the new & improved offense looking so bad in the first game, but it was only one game.  I have not lost hope, but if they come out looking flat against Miami I might be truly concerned with it.

I always liked J.D.R. I didnt get why more fans didn't support him, but I really liked Coughlin.  He got blamed too much for the salary cap, but he's still a great HC.

In fact the only HC I never had supported was Mularkey.  I am still scratching my head on that one.
RG3's regression was as much on Kyle as it was Mike. They frequently clashed with him over his tendency to run outside the pocket--you know, that thing that made him special--they tried to make him a pocket passer, and they generally just didn't want to use him the way he was designed. Talk about a square peg in a round hole, but the Shanahans knew that peg was square and didn't change the offense to fit him.

JDR had a few things stacked against him. One, he was replacing a legend, and as much as fans had tired of Coughlin by the end, there was some dismay when he wasn't marching Jaguars 2.0 into the conference championship game in his second year. Two, I think, was Byron Leftwich. Del Rio took a lot of the blame for Leftwich's failure, fairly or not. Three, of course, was the Chris Hanson ax incident, which painted him for the entire world as a total meatheaded moron. And four, and this came later in his tenure, was the way he alienated almost the entire team at once, chasing off two veteran leaders in Mike Peterson and Deon Grant, both guys he had heavily recruited, in the process. Once his back was to the wall in 2009-2010, he went from a laid-back players coach to an absolute drill sergeant, and not only did players not respond, but many lost respect for him. Ultimately, I think that cost Del Rio his job. He probably would have lost it a year or two later anyway--no one survives Gene Smith--but he'd have had a chance to stick around just a little while longer to prove that he could still turn things around.

I don't think particularly highly of JDR as a coach, and would certainly consider him to be below average as a pro HC, but he's not Les Steckel or Rod Marinelli.

Sad thing was that Jake Long was sitting on the street. Torn up knees or not the guy would be better than Sam Young. As ATL figured out and they signed him.

Quote:Wouldn't it be hilarious if Bowanko just came out as a brick wall playing LT just stonewalling everyone.

I'll hold my breath with you.

Quote:RG3's regression was as much on Kyle as it was Mike. They frequently clashed with him over his tendency to run outside the pocket--you know, that thing that made him special--they tried to make him a pocket passer, and they generally just didn't want to use him the way he was designed. Talk about a square peg in a round hole, but the Shanahans knew that peg was square and didn't change the offense to fit him.

JDR had a few things stacked against him. One, he was replacing a legend, and as much as fans had tired of Coughlin by the end, there was some dismay when he wasn't marching Jaguars 2.0 into the conference championship game in his second year. Two, I think, was Byron Leftwich. Del Rio took a lot of the blame for Leftwich's failure, fairly or not. Three, of course, was the Chris Hanson ax incident, which painted him for the entire world as a total meatheaded moron. And four, and this came later in his tenure, was the way he alienated almost the entire team at once, chasing off two veteran leaders in Mike Peterson and Deon Grant, both guys he had heavily recruited, in the process. Once his back was to the wall in 2009-2010, he went from a laid-back players coach to an absolute drill sergeant, and not only did players not respond, but many lost respect for him. Ultimately, I think that cost Del Rio his job. He probably would have lost it a year or two later anyway--no one survives Gene Smith--but he'd have had a chance to stick around just a little while longer to prove that he could still turn things around.

I don't think particularly highly of JDR as a coach, and would certainly consider him to be below average as a pro HC, but he's not Les Steckel or Rod Marinelli.

I can't remember where exactly (I'll look), but I recently read that Del Rio said he knew Leftwich was a bust after his rookie season, FWIW.

Quote:Wouldn't it be hilarious if Bowanko just came out as a brick wall playing LT just stonewalling everyone.

We definitely need some good luck like that. Who knows, players have switched positions and been phenomenal before. Why not for us?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I thought it was interesting that Bradley mentioned the other day that Bowanko had been working at right tackle. And Parnell could move to left tackle "if necessary".
Well... if Gus calls me and ask for my advise, I'll tell him that I think he should move Parnell over to LT and put Bowanko in at RT. The better player should be at LT because it's the quarterbacks' 'blindside'. Sam Young shouldn't be on this team and I can't even see another team wanting him. Joeckel needs to go elsewhere now too.

Quote:We definitely need some good luck like that. Who knows, players have switched positions and been phenomenal before. Why not for us?

Agree. We need it.
;

;

I secretly was wondering why Bowanko wouldn't be a good idea to use as a stop gap until Luke is 100%.

Sam Young is terrible.  Bowanko can't be any worse than him, and who knows...  right?  I mean the sun has got to shine on our butts at some point, does it not?