Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Economic impact of the Jaguars on Jacksonville

To me the impact of the Jaguars should be measured as an entertainment entity, not as a financial contributor. Statistics can be used to argue a positive or negative net gain. I suspect those who benefit most financially are the people who tend to always benefit financially.

I see the Jaguars as something that enhances our quality of life, as an entertainment venue that is enjoyable and fun. A city probably doesn't greatly benefit financially by having a symphony or art museum, but by having them we all benefit.

Sure I could live in Palatka and not have the above options. But by having the Jaguars Jacksonville becomes a more desirable city in which to live.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:To me the impact of the Jaguars should be measured as an entertainment entity, not as a financial contributor. Statistics can be used to argue a positive or negative net gain. I suspect those who benefit most financially are the people who tend to always benefit financially.

I see the Jaguars as something that enhances our quality of life, as an entertainment venue that is enjoyable and fun. A city probably doesn't greatly benefit financially by having a symphony or art museum, but by having them we all benefit.

Sure I could live in Palatka and not have the above options. But by having the Jaguars Jacksonville becomes a more desirable city in which to live.

I agree with that.   What net financial impact can we put on beaches, or the river, or warm weather in the winter?   How can you measure that?  It's the same with an NFL team.  It's just part of the landscape that makes this a nice place to be.  

I think everybody in charge of these projects are aware of the costs.

I'd live in Jacksonville for 5 months of the year if I won the lottery. If the Jags weren't in Jacksonville then I wouldn't.

Quote:I'd live in Jacksonville for 5 months of the year if I won the lottery. If the Jags weren't in Jacksonville then I wouldn't.
I live here now and share the same sentiment.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

To me I think about Khan. Without the jags there would be no Khan to "reinvent the Riverside area". No Khan to invest in a ship yards project. It attracts people with money because there is a sustainable, recognizable product. With the London initiative that attract overseas interest; that will be an interesting dynamic to watch unfold for the greater metropolitan area.

That's enough of an impact for me.

I moved to Jacksonville in large part because of the team.  That and the law school.  I should say both of those things together made it a lock.  

Quote:That is the way I describe Jacksonville without the Jaguars. Birmingham.

I am from Bham but agree 100%