Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4th of July product boycott

Quote:Then you're not going to like Starbucks, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, IBM, or Yahoo either.

I do the best I can. Don't have Facebook, or Yahoo. Microsoft is hard to get away from, as is Google. And I stay away from Starbucks too.

I'm just one guy, but just because I can't get off the grid doesn't mean I should just bow down all the time. When I can, I stay away from businesses I disagree with. It's the best any of us can do, at this point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Rather than being "mad" or boycotting products because of where they are manufactured, one would think that people would be more mad at why it is that said product is not manufactured in the U.S.

The liberals are going to mention the "obscene corporate profits" in 3... 2... 1...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Rather than being "mad" or boycotting products because of where they are manufactured, one would think that people would be more mad at why it is that said product is not manufactured in the U.S.
Because the average private-sector worker in China makes $4,755 per year (according to the International Labor Organization), and the average American factory worker salary per year is about $25k per year. The lowest bidder gets the business, basically.

Quote:Because the average private-sector worker in China makes $4,755 per year (according to the International Labor Organization), and the average American factory worker salary per year is about $25k per year. The lowest bidder gets the business, basically.

That's not the whole story though.  What is the average cost of living in China compared to the average cost of living in the U.S.?

Contrary to popular belief, labor cost isn't the only issue as to why companies have things manufactured elsewhere.  Here's a little hint.  Taxes and regulation.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:Great plan. You're only impacting local franchise owners, their employees, and their distributors, all of whom are more than likely Americans. You're really sending those dirty Canucks a message.

What do you drive? I know you liberals love your foreign cars. So which is it? Volvo? Saab? Toyota? Smart? I'm pegging you for a Prius man.

BTW, Ringo should probably ditch his Harley since up to 60% of the parts on Harley Davidson motorcycles are manufactured outside of the US, some in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and (gasp!) China.
This I know. Still, it's made here, best I can do. Looking into an Indian. But still beats a K bike any day. The company is American and profits stay here.

But my point wasn't taken the way I worded it I guess.

What torqued me was the wording on a few plaques that said things like remember those who gave all, to keep us free. Who is " US"? Stuff like pride in our country and those who sacrificed. The trinkets we import I understand. But the wording of these items and what they mean to so many, mass produced by those don't share those sentiments and couldn't care less about the US is so hypocritical and bullcrap.

But, as Rollerjag said, maybe we saved some poor Chinese worker. Ok. That's nice.

Those who did sacrifice surely understand. Those who were in Nam cringe when they see something made there. Guess you had to be there, since it seems many don't really care.

You suggest liberals love foreign cars. So conservatives love foreign bikes?
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:We shouldn't use that evil Chinese invention "Fireworks" to celebrate either!

The topic at hand really went over your head huh? We shouldn't use anything someone else invented?
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:How do you know this for sure? The Chinese worker who made the item may be alive because the U.S.A. liberated his parents and grand-parents from the Japanese, and has gratitude in his or her heart for those who sacrificed lives on their behalf.

Good luck insuring everything you buy to display your love of country was manufactured, distributed and sold by someone who shares your idea of the significance of the item.

Really? You think the odds are that the worker may really care about keeping the pride and remembering those who sacrificed to give us freedom ( as the plaque they made says)

Uh huh. Yeppers...I can hear those workers just chanting USA USA USA as they put together the memorabilia of fallen US soldiers.

Anyway. I will at least try to support home made manufacturing. Yes I will pay a bit more. But that's just me. Pride and loyalty have been kicked to the curb for sake of a better deal. it's a what's in it for me nation, sadly.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I really trust this trading partner of ours. Their new banking system isn't out to help us by any means. But that's a whole other story
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Really? You think the odds are that the worker may really care about keeping the pride and remembering those who sacrificed to give us freedom ( as the plaque they made says)

Uh huh. Yeppers...I can hear those workers just chanting USA USA USA as they put together the memorabilia of fallen US soldiers.

Anyway. I will at least try to support home made manufacturing. Yes I will pay a bit more. But that's just me. Pride and loyalty have been kicked to the curb for sake of a better deal. it's a what's in it for me nation, sadly.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I really trust this trading partner of ours. Their new banking system isn't out to help us by any means. But that's a whole other story

Rock on...we must all make a stand where we can.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

https://hbr.org/2015/04/chinas-new-devel...washington

Rock on, indeed.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:https://hbr.org/2015/04/chinas-new-devel...washington

Rock on, indeed.

See what happens when we free countries from their oppressors?

- Bob Marley

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about fireworks anymore? I've been to the beach a couple times for a 20 minute fireworks show and spent 4 hours in traffic waiting to get out.. I used to spend hundreds of dollars every 4th and then only thing that usually blew up was my wallet..

No thanks.. I'll fire up the grill, drink my beer and mixed drinks and catch the firework replay on the news.. I have better places to be and better things to spend my money on..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Am I the only one who really doesn't care about fireworks anymore? I've been to the beach a couple times for a 20 minute fireworks show and spent 4 hours in traffic waiting to get out.. I used to spend hundreds of dollars every 4th and then only thing that usually blew up was my wallet..

No thanks.. I'll fire up the grill, drink my beer and mixed drinks and catch the firework replay on the news.. I have better places to be and better things to spend my money on..
I'm the same as you. If I want to see fireworks, I'll walk upstairs to the second floor landing and look through the window at a display five miles south of us, a couple of towns away. Fighting a crowd of thousands, parking, then trying to get out of that mess is way too much effort for me.

Quote:Am I the only one who really doesn't care about fireworks anymore? I've been to the beach a couple times for a 20 minute fireworks show and spent 4 hours in traffic waiting to get out.. I used to spend hundreds of dollars every 4th and then only thing that usually blew up was my wallet..

I'm with you, I've seen plenty of fireworks shows to leave me sated. Now the most excitement I get from pyrotechnics is when a seed explodes.

- Bob Marley

Didn't the Chinese invent fireworks and currently manufacture every one you'll see this year?

Just sayin....

Quote:Didn't the Chinese invent fireworks and currently manufacture every one you'll see this year?

Just sayin....

It's over your head.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Didn't the Chinese invent fireworks and currently manufacture every one you'll see this year?

Just sayin....

No. Have you ever been on I-24 in Tennessee? There are a few outlets from nearby fireworks factories in Tennessee and Alabama.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Permit me a rant.

I know most of our products we buy are an import. But it really got under my skin this weekend when I was checking out some July 4th products. One in particular. It said something like..Never forget those who sacrificed and kept this country free....with all the red, white and blue trimmings.

Turn it over for price check...see Made in China. That's a disgrace to those written words, which by the way, mean absolutely zippo to those making it. I will not display any patriotic items this year, since I won't buy any. Just a flag, made in Milwaukee.

At least a bill has been passed that all flags be made here, and that was after public outcry. But it's not enough.

It can be done again. Don't buy this junk.

Thanks for the ear.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that.  Who wants to spend $20 bucks for an American flag made by an American factory worker when you can get one for $15 that was made in China?  The societal ill du jour we're supposed to care about is income inequality.  And what better way to help someone's income than, ya know, to provide them with a job.  But that requires the lazy American consumer to actually research products and look at things beyond the price.  You hear some people complain about minimum wage laws, but they still shop at places like Walmart or Starbucks who pay their employees pennies.  You hear people complain about gay rights but they still eat at Chick-fil-a which donates money to anti-gay lobbyists.  You hear people complain about worker's rights but then they still buy Nikes made by some 5 year old Filipino kid.  You think all these "do-gooders" are going to take the time to buy American made products?  No chance.  Much easier to pass laws telling everyone how they must conduct their business than to actually put their own money where their mouth is.  The American consumer is too lazy and too hypocritical.  And while they say they care about minimum wage and workers rights, etc... at the end of the day, they dont really care that much.  Not enough to change their purchasing habits.

Anyways, if you want a flag made in America, buy an Annin.  I believe the flag shop on Beach Blvd carries Annin flags.  It's amazing how many items made in America that one can buy if they put in a little research.

Quote:I'm with you, I've seen plenty of fireworks shows to leave me sated. Now the most excitement I get from pyrotechnics is when a seed explodes.

What are these seeds you speak of?  Still huffing on stuff grown in a national forest?

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

Quote:Rather than being "mad" or boycotting products because of where they are manufactured, one would think that people would be more mad at why it is that said product is not manufactured in the U.S.

The liberals are going to mention the "obscene corporate profits" in 3... 2... 1...

There's nothing obscene about corporate profits.  I think they're beautiful.  

Quote: 

What do you drive?  I know you liberals love your foreign cars.  So which is it?  Volvo?  Saab?  Toyota?  Smart?  I'm pegging you for a Prius man. 

So all those people in my neighborhood driving Mercedes are liberals?   That's interesting.