Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adios Jaxson de Ville - merged

Quote:I'd rather they come up with an entirely new mascot.

I can't imagine a replacement/scrub Jaxson.

To me, there is/was only one.

Jasmine De Ville?  First female mascot?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yes. I wonder if upper management had a say in his decision...

Yeah, I'm thinking there is more to the story than what we are being told.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that the best doggone mascot in all of professional sport is a Hokie.

[Image: Dvorak_Curtis.jpg]

He's certainly one of a kind.

http://www.vtmag.vt.edu/fall12/being-hokiebird.html

CURTIS DVORAK
<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">In what years did you play the HokieBird? 

1994-96

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">It's awesome that you went "pro" as a mascot. How long have you been with the Jaguars? (Are you still with them?)

I started the mascot program with the Jaguars in 1996, after graduating, and am still running the program and performing as [Jaguars' mascot] Jaxson De Ville.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Do you have a day job, or is being a mascot a full-time job? 

It is a full-time job, but I hope to be a productive citizen when I grow up.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What was your most memorable experience as the HokieBird?

[There are] too many to choose from. The entire experience of being the HokieBird is something I will never forget. The trips to bowl games, basketball tournaments, and nationals. I was also fortunate enough to be the first HokieBird to win the NCA Mascot Title. My last football game as the bird was the Sugar Bowl, and my last basketball games were the NCAA Tournament in 1996 in Dallas.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Tell us about your favorite reaction to the HokieBird. 

I enjoyed the reaction of the opposing teams' student section on the road.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What sort of training did you have to do? 

I got sent to the principal's office a lot in my early school days, and I spent quite some time in [Former Tech Athletic Director] Dave Braine's office while at Tech.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What are the basic rules of being the HokieBird? (Such as no speaking or removing the head) 

You've gotta be able to do "the walk"—the HokieBird has a very specific style to his walk. No talking in costume, do not allow anyone to see you without the head on, and remember what and who you represent and always respect that tradition.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Body language must've been critical. What was your signature move? 

I created the "Scream Machine," which I think is still used.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Did you get into any fisticuffs with other ACC mascots on a football field? 

We were in the Atlantic Ten Conference when I was there, and I did get into a bit of an incident with the St. Joseph's Hawk.

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What's the worst part about being the HokieBird? 

Occasionally having to disappoint people when you can't stick around at an appearance to see everyone or when all the cheerleaders are fighting over you.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Yeah, I'm thinking there is more to the story than what we are being told.

I'm sure that could be the case, but honestly, in listening to the interview this morning, it sounds like Curtis is just getting to the point at 42 years old where his body can't take the beating it used to.  I'm sure running around in that costume for 19 years does take it's toll on the body, especially when you're doing the kinds of stunts he has over that stretch. 

The TU mentioned the whole Ebola towel incident during the Pittsburgh game last year and how he was reprimanded by the team for being so insensitive because Ebola was a hot topic at the time.  I tend to think that was blown way out of proportion by the team, but their PR folks thought it was an egregious enough act to require an apology.  Still, very few people in that organization have been a better ambassador for the team, and God knows that over the past decade or so, Curtis has proven to be the only thing that has been consistently entertaining on the field.  I think the team had to recognize that as well. 

If this was something internal that we're not being told, odds are this announcement would have come at some point in January or February.  The fact that it's happening now, coupled with the mention by Curtis that he has been presented with other opportunities in the local media that he really wants to pursue, makes me think this is probably an amicable parting of the ways. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...910805a01e

How has this not been brought up yet?  Maybe I'm just missing the thread.

In my opinion, Curtis is deserving of a spot in the Pride.  I personally would retire Jaxon de Ville and let the next mascot forge its own identity.  

Great mascot.  I have enjoyed his antics for many years!  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Wasnt he rated one of the best mascots in forbes magazine or something?  He did a great job, sad to see him go.

Thread in Sideline I think.

I agree with FBT but it does seem odd that it is so sudden and this close to season. May just be he was offered an opportunity that was too good to turn down. If so good for him. In general NFL mascot pay is not commensurate with all they do. For most it is a labor of love.

Quote:I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that the best doggone mascot in all of professional sport is a Hokie.

[Image: Dvorak_Curtis.jpg]

He's certainly one of a kind.

http://www.vtmag.vt.edu/fall12/being-hokiebird.html

CURTIS DVORAK
<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">In what years did you play the HokieBird? 

1994-96

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">It's awesome that you went "pro" as a mascot. How long have you been with the Jaguars? (Are you still with them?)

I started the mascot program with the Jaguars in 1996, after graduating, and am still running the program and performing as [Jaguars' mascot] Jaxson De Ville.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Do you have a day job, or is being a mascot a full-time job? 

It is a full-time job, but I hope to be a productive citizen when I grow up.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What was your most memorable experience as the HokieBird?

[There are] too many to choose from. The entire experience of being the HokieBird is something I will never forget. The trips to bowl games, basketball tournaments, and nationals. I was also fortunate enough to be the first HokieBird to win the NCA Mascot Title. My last football game as the bird was the Sugar Bowl, and my last basketball games were the NCAA Tournament in 1996 in Dallas.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Tell us about your favorite reaction to the HokieBird. 

I enjoyed the reaction of the opposing teams' student section on the road.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What sort of training did you have to do? 

I got sent to the principal's office a lot in my early school days, and I spent quite some time in [Former Tech Athletic Director] Dave Braine's office while at Tech.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What are the basic rules of being the HokieBird? (Such as no speaking or removing the head) 

You've gotta be able to do "the walk"—the HokieBird has a very specific style to his walk. No talking in costume, do not allow anyone to see you without the head on, and remember what and who you represent and always respect that tradition.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Body language must've been critical. What was your signature move? 

I created the "Scream Machine," which I think is still used.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">Did you get into any fisticuffs with other ACC mascots on a football field? 

We were in the Atlantic Ten Conference when I was there, and I did get into a bit of an incident with the St. Joseph's Hawk.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);">What's the worst part about being the HokieBird? 

Occasionally having to disappoint people when you can't stick around at an appearance to see everyone or when all the cheerleaders are fighting over you.
How much did that job pay?

I feel like they should retire the Mascot completely. In 2015, let it be Jaxson Jr. or Jaxson de Ville II. Let it be known Curtis was Jaxson.

Early days it wasn't much but he was just out of college and happy to continue doing what he loved. As I said in general in NFL about 25K-30K. He did a lot and had to prep for all the stunts he did which was more than most mascots performances.

Quote:Early days it wasn't much but he was just out of college and happy to continue doing what he loved. As I said in general in NFL about 25K-30K. He did a lot and had to prep for all the stunts he did which was more than most mascots performances.
I don't know how you live off that small of an income! wow.

He turned the character into a business.  He was doing more than just the game day stuff. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I agree with FBT but it does seem odd that it is so sudden and this close to season. May just be he was offered an opportunity that was too good to turn down. If so good for him. In general NFL mascot pay is not commensurate with all they do. For most it is a labor of love.
There was a similarly quick transition that took place when Brian Sexton made way for Frank Frangie.  Sexton was presented with an opportunity that he couldn't turn down.  Hopefully the change of bodies in the mascot suit won't reap similar results, and we're stuck with a mascot who is about as entertaining as paint drying.

Quote:There was a similarly quick transition that took place when Brian Sexton made way for Frank Frangie. Sexton was presented with an opportunity that he couldn't turn down. Hopefully the change of bodies in the mascot suit won't reap similar results, and we're stuck with a mascot who is about as entertaining as paint drying.

I remember when David Raymond stepped down as Phillie Phanatic. I could see the difference immediately. He was great at using his body to 'tell a story'. One of the reasons that he said that he played the part so well, was that his mother was deaf. He now teaches mascot classes. Much like Dvorak, a really interesting guy.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If there was some pr reason he was let go, they wouldn't have given him quotes from Lamping on how much he meant to the team.

I saw his goodbye letter to the Jags family and it was pretty good.  He thanked Weaver and the fans.....nobody is filling those shoes.

And there's the big surprise cut I was afraid of, although it seems like this was more of a retirement than a cut, and it's not the complete retirement of the Jaxson character (which is what Twitter was alluding to). I hope that whoever comes along next can fill the suit, but after all the great work Dvorak did, that's a tall order to fill.

Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...910805a01e

How has this not been brought up yet?  Maybe I'm just missing the thread.

In my opinion, Curtis is deserving of a spot in the Pride.  I personally would retire Jaxon de Ville and let the next mascot forge its own identity.  

They certainly should put him in there.

Maybe put up a life size statue holding a flag, at the corner where he used to jump from.

Or like Donald Duck in the 4D movie at Disney.  Have his rear end sticking out of the ring, with his legs kicking.  /kidding

To me it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to view the "new" Jaxson in the same way.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:How much did that job pay?

How much did the college pay a student? I'm guessing nothing?