Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2024, 03:04 PM by Caldrac.)

(05-20-2024, 12:54 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 11:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Guessing he gets a deal around $235M ($47M per year on 5 years) on the low end and $254M ($50.8M per year on 5 years) on the high end.

This would put him above some of the older heads that recently got paid, but, behind some of the more consistent and MVP caliber passers.

Cleveland's deal with DeShaun Watson absolutely [BLEEP] up the QB market a lot faster than the NFL had hoped for.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I'd think he gets more than Goff per year, so I'm guessing you're a tad low on these.  Goff's deal is a 4 yr for $212M or $53M per year.  If it winds up being under $53M per year as you suggest, I'll assume it's getting re-done in 2 years.
Per year I think doesn't matter as much as length and incentives. Goff's contract on a four year term is gaudy but warranted.

I think a five year deal, north of $250M is realistic and there should be escaltors and incentives involved to push the value up to potentially $275M in my opinion.

Tax free state also helps.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-20-2024, 02:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 02:28 PM)jg77 Wrote: Injury risk. They're probably looking at the Goff contract and will add a bit more per year and a little bit more guaranteed.

And someone else is going to pay him Joe Burrow money? I doubt it.

Then your doubt is a misreading of the free agent and QB markets. If he were to hit the market tomorrow he would be the highest paid player in NFL history by Wednesday.

In Trevor Lawrence's case...I completely disagree.

(05-20-2024, 03:20 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 02:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Then your doubt is a misreading of the free agent and QB markets. If he were to hit the market tomorrow he would be the highest paid player in NFL history by Wednesday.

In Trevor Lawrence's case...I completely disagree.

No worries, this thread is full of people with a wide variety of perspectives, most of them flawed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

PFF just released their top players under 25. Trevor came in at #3 behind Sewell and Sauce. He was the top ranked QB.

He's still only 24.

He has every single quality you want from a QB and yet people don't think he would get the highest contract ever if he hit the open market? Cousins just got a crazy amount and he's old AND coming off a torn achilles.

(05-20-2024, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: PFF just released their top players under 25. Trevor came in at #3 behind Sewell and Sauce. He was the top ranked QB.

He's still only 24.

He has every single quality you want from a QB and yet people don't think he would get the highest contract ever if he hit the open market? Cousins just got a crazy amount and he's old AND coming off a torn achilles.

For those who might not be able to see it:

[b]3. QB TREVOR LAWRENCEJACKSONVILLE JAGUARS[/b]

Many might call Lawrence’s 2023 season a disappointment, especially considering preseason expectations
However, he earned the highest overall grade of his career in 2023 and, during the first part of the season, demonstrated why the Jaguars selected him with the first-overall pick three years ago. Lawrence's 88.1 overall grade after 13 weeks last year ranked fifth among quarterbacks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-20-2024, 04:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: PFF just released their top players under 25. Trevor came in at #3 behind Sewell and Sauce. He was the top ranked QB.

He's still only 24.

For those who might not be able to see it:

Many might call Lawrence’s 2023 season a disappointment, especially considering preseason expectations
However, he earned the highest overall grade of his career in 2023 and, during the first part of the season, demonstrated why the Jaguars selected him with the first-overall pick three years ago. Lawrence's 88.1 overall grade after 13 weeks last year ranked fifth among quarterbacks.

He was poised. We all saw it during the 8 - 3 start. His play declined during the toughest stretch of the season last year due to injuries. Once his ankle was stepped on against the Bengals it was all downhill from there. 

Knee earlier in the season.
Ankle later on.
Followed by his throwing shoulder. 
For sure a concussion at one point before or after that. 

This team cannot function without a healthy Trevor Lawrence. I know most teams can say that in general though. This team only goes as far as Lawrence's health allows. Which falls back on the play up front with the big sloppies. Hopefully the big sloppies play like a group of big meanies this year.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2024, 05:17 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

He's still only 24.

It's casuals, stat boys and fans of other teams that don't watch a lot of Jaguar football that have no idea what's going on or what they're looking at on Sundays.  Some of the aforementioned even have jobs in NFL media as well, so for those on social media it becomes a bit of an echo chamber underneath the sand where their heads are.

I was looking at the comments on x/twitter after news came across this morning about the extension looming and 9 out of 10 comments were negative or flabbergasted that he could be so well paid so soon.  It's what the market is and he's not only better than the casuals and stat boys think, in talent and ability he's a top 5 QB in the league with potential to be number 1 and I'm confident that will become apparent even for them this season.

(05-20-2024, 04:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 04:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: For those who might not be able to see it:

He was poised. We all saw it during the 8 - 3 start. His play declined during the toughest stretch of the season last year due to injuries. Once his ankle was stepped on against the Bengals it was all downhill from there. 

Knee earlier in the season.
Ankle later on.
Followed by his throwing shoulder. 
For sure a concussion at one point before or after that. 

This team cannot function without a healthy Trevor Lawrence. I know most teams can say that in general though. This team only goes as far as Lawrence's health allows. Which falls back on the play up front with the big sloppies. Hopefully the big sloppies play like a group of big meanies this year.

They were also having to play a very specific style of offense due primarily to Fortner which got exposed against SF.  I hope Morse can stay healthy and I hope Fortner found the best 'roid dealer around for pissing clean.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2024, 05:33 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

The problem Trevor had last year was not only injuries to himself, it was also the offense's inability to run the ball and the defense's inability to stop the run.  I don't care if you have Tom Brady back there, if you can't run the ball when you have 3rd and 1, and if you can't stop the other team from running the ball, it doesn't matter who your quarterback is. 

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but the best way to help Trevor is to build the entire team.  Not just the offensive line, but the entire team.  Thankfully, judging from free agency and the draft, Trent and Doug are thinking the same thing.

(05-20-2024, 10:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's about to get the bag

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...8767445435

Good, as he should.

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/17929...BZMBg&s=19

(05-21-2024, 10:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/17929...BZMBg&s=19

Fine by me!

If the Jags offense remains relatively healthy (Oline and BTJ/Kirk), I think you'll see the best version of TLaw yet. And he's been pretty good up until this point.

Again, he's 24! I think people view him as much older than he actually is. Levis is older lol

(05-21-2024, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 10:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/17929...BZMBg&s=19

Fine by me!

If the Jags offense remains relatively healthy (Oline and BTJ/Kirk), I think you'll see the best version of TLaw yet. And he's been pretty good up until this point.

Again, he's 24! I think people view him as much older than he actually is. Levis is older lol

If Mitch Morse remains healthy…

It's a big contract. Close to $265M if it's a 5 year deal. We'll see.

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2024, 11:18 PM by StrayaJag. Edited 1 time in total.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx2Z0YfrEwY.com

Pat always giving his 2 bobs worth

(05-21-2024, 11:17 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx2Z0YfrEwY.com

I have no issues with what's being stated here, at all. It's year four for Trevor. We always circle back to his rookie season being a mulligan, then, we look at this 2nd half of 2022 and 1st half of 2023, that's where we started to see the potential scratch the surface, and, at times, breakthrough the surface. 

I had a sense going into that Monday Night Football game last year, he was finally having his "this is it, the moment he turns the corner for good and cements himself" type of performance, and then, that damn ankle injury happened. That's where it all started. That's where the team began to lose itself. 

I disagree with Dan. In regards to this team not yet winning games because of him. I think that's a lie to be honest with you. He turned around a basement dwelling franchise and he had some moments in 2022 and 2023 that were single handedly on him getting us back into the game, maintaining the lead or just figuring it out. 

So, Dan loses me there a little bit. He is right about it being the nature of the business, we're all aware of this. This year's $250M deal is next year's $295M deal. We're getting ahead of it a bit. We're hedging our bets on Lawrence being the 2nd half of 2022 - 1st half of 2023 QB as his baseline, with the hopes that, he becomes more than that this year.

Provided now, and this is the catch, there's always a catch. Provided that the offensive line does it's damn job and the running game is capable of keeping our opponents defense honest and giving him a chance to call his pocket more as a passer from the actual pocket. 

I can stomach the QB rankings. I can. It's fair. Look, it is what it is. Stroud's rookie season was impressive, probably the best QB rookie season that I can recall of since Ben Roethlisberger. Have gone on record that his style reminds me of RGIII though, hopefully his career isn't cut short from running around in the backfield too much to extend plays. 

I can stomach the obvious ones. Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Burrow, etc. I don't mind Herbert being higher. I don't mind Stafford and Goff. Cousins? I am a little iffy on that. He's a great regular season Quarterback. Still ends up like everybody else though. Not in the play-off's or lays stinkers in primetime. 

Is he top five? No.
Is he top ten? Maybe. 
Is he in the better twelve - fifteen range? Yes. 

Does he have the potential to be a top five? No. I think he has the potential to be TOP THREE. And, with that, I'll leave it at that.

(05-22-2024, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

I have no issues with what's being stated here, at all. It's year four for Trevor. We always circle back to his rookie season being a mulligan, then, we look at this 2nd half of 2022 and 1st half of 2023, that's where we started to see the potential scratch the surface, and, at times, breakthrough the surface. 

I had a sense going into that Monday Night Football game last year, he was finally having his "this is it, the moment he turns the corner for good and cements himself" type of performance, and then, that damn ankle injury happened. That's where it all started. That's where the team began to lose itself. 

I disagree with Dan. In regards to this team not yet winning games because of him. I think that's a lie to be honest with you. He turned around a basement dwelling franchise and he had some moments in 2022 and 2023 that were single handedly on him getting us back into the game, maintaining the lead or just figuring it out. 

So, Dan loses me there a little bit. He is right about it being the nature of the business, we're all aware of this. This year's $250M deal is next year's $295M deal. We're getting ahead of it a bit. We're hedging our bets on Lawrence being the 2nd half of 2022 - 1st half of 2023 QB as his baseline, with the hopes that, he becomes more than that this year.

Provided now, and this is the catch, there's always a catch. Provided that the offensive line does it's damn job and the running game is capable of keeping our opponents defense honest and giving him a chance to call his pocket more as a passer from the actual pocket. 

I can stomach the QB rankings. I can. It's fair. Look, it is what it is. Stroud's rookie season was impressive, probably the best QB rookie season that I can recall of since Ben Roethlisberger. Have gone on record that his style reminds me of RGIII though, hopefully his career isn't cut short from running around in the backfield too much to extend plays. 

I can stomach the obvious ones. Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Burrow, etc. I don't mind Herbert being higher. I don't mind Stafford and Goff. Cousins? I am a little iffy on that. He's a great regular season Quarterback. Still ends up like everybody else though. Not in the play-off's or lays stinkers in primetime. 

Is he top five? No.
Is he top ten? Maybe. 

Does he have the potential to be a top five? No. I think he has the potential to be TOP THREE. And, with that, I'll leave it at that.
I've said this before but I don't think there's a single QB drafted in the last 5-6 years that could do what Trevor has done for this franchise (maybe Burrow). The pressure of being the #1 pick, having Voldemort as your coach in year 1, no offensive help in year 1, starting day 1 for the worst franchise in all of football (by win%) and then handling it like a pro? Taking them to the playoffs in year 2, win a playoff game and push the champs for 4 quarters? Then start the next season 8-3?

Not a single QB the last 6 years could have done that.

(05-22-2024, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

Is he top five? No.
Is he top ten? Maybe. 

Also, Dan used the singular "injury to Trevor" last year.  It was injuries, Dan, including a concussion against the Ravens.  And there was no commentary on Fortner routinely getting immediately pushed into the backfield at the snap which led to many botched plays and no real run game support.

I'm completely behind Trevor and everything he has done, but they aren't completely wrong. Yes he does need to show more, but I feel like thats more on the coaches at this point. With a clean pocket hes good, with a decent pocket hes good, but with our absolute garbage pocket there is going to be some bad. That bad forces more bad, making everything seem like a complete [BLEEP] show. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson have this line figured out.
In Dougie I Trust!

(05-22-2024, 11:03 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I'm completely behind Trevor and everything he has done, but they aren't completely wrong. Yes he does need to show more, but I feel like thats more on the coaches at this point. With a clean pocket hes good, with a decent pocket hes good, but with our absolute garbage pocket there is going to be some bad. That bad forces more bad, making everything seem like a complete [BLEEP] show. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson have this line figured out.

I think this season hinges on the bolded here more than any other one thing. 

If pass protection and run blocking don't climb out of the cellar and into "mid-tier" range, they are doomed to linger watching the post season instead of participating. 

(I'd place the secondary coming together quickly and improving under Nielsen next on the list of critical changes. Multiple busted coverages took us out of contention in 2 or 3 contests last year)

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2024, 11:53 AM by Caldrac.)

(05-22-2024, 09:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I have no issues with what's being stated here, at all. It's year four for Trevor. We always circle back to his rookie season being a mulligan, then, we look at this 2nd half of 2022 and 1st half of 2023, that's where we started to see the potential scratch the surface, and, at times, breakthrough the surface. 

Is he top five? No.
Is he top ten? Maybe. 

I've said this before but I don't think there's a single QB drafted in the last 5-6 years that could do what Trevor has done for this franchise (maybe Burrow). The pressure of being the #1 pick, having Voldemort as your coach in year 1, no offensive help in year 1, starting day 1 for the worst franchise in all of football (by win%) and then handling it like a pro? Taking them to the playoffs in year 2, win a playoff game and push the champs for 4 quarters? Then start the next season 8-3?

Not a single QB the last 6 years could have done that.

Agreed. There's also the factor of having to technically get familiar with a different play caller for the third straight year in a row on offense. I know Doug and Press shared the duties in 2022, however, it was mostly, if not, all of Press in 2023. 

People think it's easy, yet, his entire counterparts to that first round draft class are already moved onto new locations with back-up duties, including the guy backing him up now. 

I have no doubts about him. It's everything in front of him that leaves plenty of room for doubt though, and that's the make or break this year for most of us. Either this front five gets it done or we'll continue to hover around the .500 mark and that's BECAUSE of Lawrence's ability to work magic out of lunch meat out there.

(05-22-2024, 10:52 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I have no issues with what's being stated here, at all. It's year four for Trevor. We always circle back to his rookie season being a mulligan, then, we look at this 2nd half of 2022 and 1st half of 2023, that's where we started to see the potential scratch the surface, and, at times, breakthrough the surface. 

Is he top five? No.
Is he top ten? Maybe. 

Also, Dan used the singular "injury to Trevor" last year.  It was injuries, Dan, including a concussion against the Ravens.  And there was no commentary on Fortner routinely getting immediately pushed into the backfield at the snap which led to many botched plays and no real run game support.

Yeah. Caught that as well. Knee injury, ankle injury, throwing shoulder injury and a concussion or two. He absolutely got clobbered and banged up last year. It's surprising he only managed to miss one game.

(05-22-2024, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 11:03 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I'm completely behind Trevor and everything he has done, but they aren't completely wrong. Yes he does need to show more, but I feel like thats more on the coaches at this point. With a clean pocket hes good, with a decent pocket hes good, but with our absolute garbage pocket there is going to be some bad. That bad forces more bad, making everything seem like a complete [BLEEP] show. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson have this line figured out.

I think this season hinges on the bolded here more than any other one thing. 

If pass protection and run blocking don't climb out of the cellar and into "mid-tier" range, they are doomed to linger watching the post season instead of participating. 

(I'd place the secondary coming together quickly and improving under Nielsen next on the list of critical changes. Multiple busted coverages took us out of contention in 2 or 3 contests last year)

Yep. There has to be some type of trade off this year. If this front five doesn't show improvement we're going to have to hope that Lawrence ends up on the plus side of having to play hero ball more often than not, and, this defense manages to shore up it's lack of secondary play and interior pass rush from 2023 to help keep the score closer.