Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

(05-22-2024, 11:03 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I'm completely behind Trevor and everything he has done, but they aren't completely wrong. Yes he does need to show more, but I feel like thats more on the coaches at this point. With a clean pocket hes good, with a decent pocket hes good, but with our absolute garbage pocket there is going to be some bad. That bad forces more bad, making everything seem like a complete [BLEEP] show. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson have this line figured out.

I’m a big Trevor homer. But, objectively, he is already top 10 in the league. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow are a tier above him. Stafford is better. Lamar, maybe. He is as good as any of the others that are mentioned routinely as being better than him. I’d take him over Goff, Dak, Cousins, Tua, Rodgers, Hurts which the national media tout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-22-2024, 11:57 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 11:03 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I'm completely behind Trevor and everything he has done, but they aren't completely wrong. Yes he does need to show more, but I feel like thats more on the coaches at this point. With a clean pocket hes good, with a decent pocket hes good, but with our absolute garbage pocket there is going to be some bad. That bad forces more bad, making everything seem like a complete [BLEEP] show. Fingers crossed Baalke and Pederson have this line figured out.

I’m a big Trevor homer. But, objectively, he is already top 10 in the league. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow are a tier above him. Stafford is better. Lamar, maybe. He is as good as any of the others that are mentioned routinely as being better than him. I’d take him over Goff, Dak, Cousins, Tua, Rodgers, Hurts which the national media tout.

Lamar is the reigning MVP.  Objectively, he's better right now and played amazing last year.  I was in awe at his elusiveness in the pocket specifically in the game against us.  It just seemed like he'd quickly bounce from one side of the pocket that was collapsing to the other side that wasn't and make his throw.

However, when you factor in age (not that Lamar at 27 is old) and play style and expected remaining longevity in the league, I'd still take Trevor over him.

I disagree that he needs to show more before we sign him to the big contract.  The only question is, do you believe in the guy or not?  Is he our long term QB or not?  

If you really think there's a decent chance that you may wind up wanting to replace him, then by all means, delay signing him to the big contract.  But at some point, you have to make a decision.  Are you really going to tell the guy, "We're not quite sure about you, so we want to wait?"  

I believe in the guy, so I would go ahead and sign him to the big deal.

For me - it doesn't matter what tier you put him in.
It doesn't matter what you think his ceiling is.
It doesn't matter how you A/B compare him to other guys making top QB money.

Is he the best chance you have right now for getting your team back in the playoffs?

Is there a can't miss candidate in the upcoming draft that you are certain will be better?

Is there a pending FA looming that you're willing to overpay who will be better?

NO?

Pay him - and don't worry about what he's shown or what he deserves. The market dictates that QBs who don't suck get paid very handsomely. And he fits the bill.

I say wait to pay him.

A. We have him for the next 4 years regardless. You can extend this out with the franchise tag and such for about another 4 years
B. I for one am not 100% sold he is worth the money. I am no blind homer and see there are some big holes in his game. He is a good QB but not Great IMO.

(05-23-2024, 02:19 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: I say wait to pay him.

A. We have him for the next 4 years regardless.  You can extend this out with the franchise tag and such for about another 4 years
B. I for one am not 100% sold he is worth the money. I am no blind homer and see there are some big holes in his game.  He is a good QB but not Great IMO.

You tag Lawrence and he won't play here again. He'll be traded to a team that will gladly send picks and pay him all the while laughing at the fools here who just sent their franchise back into the septic tank.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-23-2024, 02:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

A. We have him for the next 4 years regardless.  You can extend this out with the franchise tag and such for about another 4 years
B. I for one am not 100% sold he is worth the money. I am no blind homer and see there are some big holes in his game.  He is a good QB but not Great IMO.

You tag Lawrence and he won't play here again. He'll be traded to a team that will gladly send picks and pay him all the while laughing at the fools here who just sent their franchise back into the septic tank.
You always look at the positives. That is good in sunshine land.  Or plan b

He continues to be mediocre and not justify his contract while the team is in cap hell stuck with it.  I am not saying it will happen but it is hard to justify paying him $50 million a year right now. I do not care about the money value but do care how it effects the cap.  He has not sold me on being the franchise yet.  Clearly, he has sold you.  I think it is wise to let him prove he is worth the money.  Yes signing him now could save money but could also save a massive future headache if it does not work out.

Yeah that sends a great message to other draft choices and free agents they might want to try and sign.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-23-2024, 05:28 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 02:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You tag Lawrence and he won't play here again. He'll be traded to a team that will gladly send picks and pay him all the while laughing at the fools here who just sent their franchise back into the septic tank.

He continues to be mediocre and not justify his contract while the team is in cap hell stuck with it.  I am not saying it will happen but it is hard to justify paying him $50 million a year right now. I do not care about the money value but do care how it effects the cap.  He has not sold me on being the franchise yet.  Clearly, he has sold you.  I think it is wise to let him prove he is worth the money.  Yes signing him now could save money but could also save a massive future headache if it does not work out.

Lol, yeah, it will be just awful for this team to be "stuck" playing for the division and getting playoff home games for the next decade. Just terrible. He's 24, played through literal hell in the last couple seasons and still has the team in position to win long term. People are fixated on the last six games instead of the tremendous improvement made in 2 seasons. Whatever it takes to hold on to this guy needs to be done, it's really hard to get one and I don't feel like waiting another decade for the next one to come around.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 06:56 PM by Cleatwood.)

(05-23-2024, 05:28 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 02:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You tag Lawrence and he won't play here again. He'll be traded to a team that will gladly send picks and pay him all the while laughing at the fools here who just sent their franchise back into the septic tank.

For the people that know what to look for in a good QB, he’s sold them.

Might want to just buckle up for the big contract pal.

(05-23-2024, 06:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 05:28 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: You always look at the positives. That is good in sunshine land.  Or plan b

Lol, yeah, it will be just awful for this team to be "stuck" playing for the division and getting playoff home games for the next decade. Just terrible. He's 24, played through literal hell in the last couple seasons and still has the team in position to win long term. People are fixated on the last six games instead of the tremendous improvement made in 2 seasons. Whatever it takes to hold on to this guy needs to be done, it's really hard to get one and I don't feel like waiting another decade for the next one to come around.
It’s Josh Allen all over again.

People fixated on his lack of sacks while not looking at the big picture.

Lawrence is going to explode (like Josh Allen) and it’s going to be glorious.

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 07:05 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-23-2024, 05:37 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

Yeah that sends a great message to other draft choices and free agents they might want to try and sign.

Sends a great message. You want to get paid, prove it on the field. Josh Allen did and he got paid. Lawrence has not shown he is worth the pay day to date in many eyes.

(05-23-2024, 06:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 05:28 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: You always look at the positives. That is good in sunshine land.  Or plan b

For the people that know what to look for in a good QB, he’s sold them.

(05-23-2024, 06:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, yeah, it will be just awful for this team to be "stuck" playing for the division and getting playoff home games for the next decade. Just terrible. He's 24, played through literal hell in the last couple seasons and still has the team in position to win long term. People are fixated on the last six games instead of the tremendous improvement made in 2 seasons. Whatever it takes to hold on to this guy needs to be done, it's really hard to get one and I don't feel like waiting another decade for the next one to come around.

You got blind faith. I am a realist. Josh Allen proved it on the field. Lawrence has not yet. As I said before, good but not great. Some have him out of the top 10

(05-23-2024, 07:02 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 05:37 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Yeah that sends a great message to other draft choices and free agents they might want to try and sign.

Sends a great message. You want to get paid, prove it on the field. Josh Allen did and he got paid. Lawrence has not shown he is worth the pay day to date in many eyes.

(05-23-2024, 06:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: For the people that know what to look for in a good QB, he’s sold them.

You got blind faith. I am a realist. Josh Allen proved it on the field. Lawrence has not yet. As I said before, good but not great. Some have him out of the top 10

When was the last time this franchise had a good quarterback? Mark Brunell.

Trevor is *at worst* the 12th best quarterback in the league. Pay the man. He’s next.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 07:22 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-23-2024, 06:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

We have a difference of opinion. I do not see the same things you see.

My take :

I see a Qb with all the physical tools but also over hyped. I see a QB that struggles with consistency. I have seen too many easy throws missed by Lawrence that is just not elite QB materiel. I love the arm, I love the toughness, I love the heart, but I question many aspects of his game.

Do stats per game tell the tale? No!
Does career stats? YES

Make all the excuses you want but as of present time, it is easy to argue he is not a top 10 QB. Yes he has the potential but that is just that.  I want to see him show that potential to prove he is worth the cap hit. Some are blind Homer's and already have him as first ballot hall of famer. It is part of being a fan. I have a different take.

(05-23-2024, 07:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 07:02 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Sends a great message. You want to get paid, prove it on the field. Josh Allen did and he got paid. Lawrence has not shown he is worth the pay day to date in many eyes.

When was the last time this franchise had a good quarterback? Mark Brunell.

Trevor is *at worst* the 12th best quarterback in the league. Pay the man. He’s next.

Agreed on the QB take but not the value. If he signed a middle tier contract I would Agree. I don't see 9 figure play on the field.

(05-23-2024, 05:37 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

There's a happy medium in there somewhere.  I think waiting another year is a reasonable decision, Trevor hasn't shown through a full year that he's capable of putting up elite stats (even before his injury last year he was something like 15 TDs, 7 Ints.)  The cost if he improves in 2024 is the difference between top of the market now, and top of the market next year.  On the other-side, this only makes sense if you think that Trevor could have a year bad enough that the Jags would start looking for his replacement in 2025.

Needs to cut his hair looks like a hippie

(05-23-2024, 07:19 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 06:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, yeah, it will be just awful for this team to be "stuck" playing for the division and getting playoff home games for the next decade. Just terrible. He's 24, played through literal hell in the last couple seasons and still has the team in position to win long term. People are fixated on the last six games instead of the tremendous improvement made in 2 seasons. Whatever it takes to hold on to this guy needs to be done, it's really hard to get one and I don't feel like waiting another decade for the next one to come around.
We have a difference of opinion. I do not see the same things you see.

My take :

I see a Qb with all the physical tools but also over hyped. I see a QB that struggles with consistency. I have seen too many easy throws missed by Lawrence that is just not elite QB materiel. I love the arm, I love the toughness, I love the heart, but I question many aspects of his game.

Do stats per game tell the tale? No!
Does career stats? YES

Make all the excuses you want but as of present time, it is easy to argue he is not a top 10 QB. Yes he has the potential but that is just that.  I want to see him show that potential to prove he is worth the cap hit. Some are blind Homer's and already have him as first ballot hall of famer. It is part of being a fan. I have a different take.

(05-23-2024, 07:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: When was the last time this franchise had a good quarterback? Mark Brunell.

Agreed on the QB take but not the value. If he signed a middle tier contract I would Agree. I don't see 9 figure play on the field.

Of course, you're entitled to be wrong. Certainly many are these days.

Yea [BLEEP] getting a replacement

I'd rather be in playoff contention every year then be fighting for the number 1 pick every year

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 08:51 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-23-2024, 08:18 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Yea [BLEEP] getting a replacement

I'd rather be in playoff contention every year then be fighting for the number 1 pick every year
If we became a perennial playoff team,Nobody would complain. I hope it happens.

(05-23-2024, 02:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Agreed, I am not sure what other people were watching. Then again everyone has the right to an opinion. However they need to have a solution that negates losing TL or the opinion is worthless.

Actually after week 8 last year he was solidly one of the top 10 QB's if I remember correctly. So, I looked it up on NFL.com (link below)
Below are a few weekly grades. It is actually amazing to me he did this well with the O-line he was dealing with. You can see where the injuries began to pile up on the guy.

Week 7 - #8
Week  8 - #7
Week 9 - #8
Week 10 - #8
Week 11 - #10
Week 12 - #7
Week 13 - #8
Week 14 - #8
Week 15 - #9
Week 16 - #10
Week 15 - #15

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-we...nfl-season
A new broom always sweeps clean.

He’s. 24. Years. Old.

He hasn’t even sniffed his full potential yet. It’s the QB position. Either pay him now or pay him even more next summer. There is NO CHANCE Khan is letting Trevor walk. And nor should he.