Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Candidates

Quote:He would still need a QB. All that other stuff is great, but this is the NFL - you have to have a QB. I wonder who would be his OC.

Also - buyer beware! Many of these very same posters were ones saying Mike Malarkey was the worst coach ever ... would never again get hired ... would never again win a game. And that Jack Del Rio ...

At the very least,  the Jaguars need much better QB play than Blake Bortles provided in 2016.    Arguably the # 1 question with the Jaguars HC search is what the candidates think about Bortles moving forward?

In fairness to Mike Mularkey,   the 2012 Jaguars were one of the least talented teams in the NFL in a long time.   Until Doug Marrone went 9-7 with the BIlls in 2014,  the last HC to win as many games with Buffalo was Mularkey in 2004.  

JDR was the only Jaguars HC to get the team to the playoffs since the turn of the century.    And he did it twice,  including,  winning 2 times in Pittsburgh in the same season.   Eventually,  after being with the team for a long time,  players started tuning out his messages,   which happens sometimes,  especially as talent on the roster declines.   Overall though,  the Jaguars under JDR were a team with an identity that opposing teams felt in their following game due to the physical style of those Jaguars teams.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:How much do we know about Ol' Tom? I know he fits the stereotype the old timers love from high school - gets red in the face and about strokes out if you screw up. If you're on time you're five minutes late, etc.

I'm sure the stats are out there somewhere, but how did the Giants rank regarding penalties, turnovers, etc., ? I know the Giants record wasn't great his last four years and I remember some real bad clock management issues.

It won't bother me greatly either way if he's hired or not, although as a season ticket holder from day one I'm certainly familiar with his act. I just hope the gung-ho Coughlin supporters aren't remembering something Tom can't possibly live up to. 

This is something that's crossed my mind. This franchise holds TC in high regard, and rightfully so. However, his last few years in NY weren't perfect. What if, and this is a very possible if (especially with the question mark at QB. I mean, can you imagine Tom's reactions to Blake's penchant for dumb mistakes?), that he comes here and the team continues on a downward spiral and ends badly? How would that affect his legacy then?

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2016, 05:40 PM by D6.)

Quote:Sounds very similar to Gus

IMO,  one major difference though is Teryl Austin hasn't had the close to the talent to work with in Detroit the last two seasons that Gus Bradley had in 2012 with Seattle.   In 2014,  when Ndamukong Suh was still with the Lions,   the team finished near the top of the NFL in Total Defense and Scoring Defense.   Even with Stephen Tulloch going down with a career altering injury and Nick Fairley missing the final half of the season.

One major differencebetween Teryl Austin and Gus Bradley is Austin tailors his Defense to player strengths.   In addition,  the Lions have been a better tackling team this season than in any season I can recall over many,  many decades.   Even with the restrictions NFL teams have in practice these days.

Like C-Dub93 mentioned,  Teryl Austin might not be the right fit for what the Jaguars need at this point in time.   However,  in the right situation,   I believe Austin will be a highly successful HC.   If Jim Caldwell elected to retire  ( I'm not anticipating this in at least the next 2 to 3 years ),   Teryl Austin would be who I want want to be hired as the Head Coach of the Detroit Lions. 

Quote:  IMO,  one major difference though is Teryl Austin hasn't had the close to the talent to work with in Detroit the last two seasons that Gus Bradley had in 2012 with Seattle.   In 2014,  when Ndamukong Suh was still with the Lions,   the team finished near the top of the NFL in Total Defense and Scoring Defense.   Even with Stephen Tulloch going down with a career altering injury and Nick Fairley missing the final half of the season.

One major differencebetween Teryl Austin and Gus Bradley is Austin tailors his Defense to player strengths.   In addition,  the Lions have been a better tackling team this season than in any season I can recall over many,  many decades.   Even with the restrictions NFL teams have in practice these days.

Like C-Dub93 mentioned,  Teryl Austin might not be the right fit for what the Jaguars need at this point in time.   However,  in the right situation,   I believe Austin will be a highly successful HC.   If Jim Caldwell elected to retire  ( I'm not anticipating this in at least the next 2 to 3 years ),   Teryl Austin would be who I want want to be hired as the Head Coach of the Detroit Lions. 

I don't know that its too different. The scheme the Seahawks ran were created by Pete/Gus to fit what they had. How much of it was on Pete and how much of it was on Gus, we don't know. They may be all-pro players now, but at the start with Gus most of these guys were 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

From a personality standpoint, they sound very similar.

@jasoncolebr #Jaguars also have Kyle Shanahan on their list of coaching candidates. Obviously, he'll be popular.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't know that its too different. The scheme the Seahawks ran were created by Pete/Gus to fit what they had. How much of it was on Pete and how much of it was on Gus, we don't know. They may be all-pro players now, but at the start with Gus most of these guys were 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks.

From a personality standpoint, they sound very similar.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but with the Jaguars,  it seemed like even if some of the pieces didn't fit,   Gus Bradley wanted to stick with the Seattle Defensive system. 

In terms of personality,  Gus Bradley seems like the more emotional type of coach.  Teryl Austin is more of a low key/ even keel coach,  in many ways similar to Jim Caldwell.  

As for what i would be concerned about if in the position of a Jaguars fan if Teryl Austin became the team's HC,  other than him never being in that position,  only one thing comes to mind.   The last two seasons,  the Lions Defense got off to a slow start.   Austin admitted that he waited too long to make certain adjustments in 2015.    This season,  he acted sooner,  which led to the major Defensive turnaround in the 2nd QTR of the season,  that has continued through this point in time.   The final two regular season games in Dallas and vs. Green Bay will test Austin greatly.  Especially,  when combining the injuries at CB.   But to have a streak of 8 straight games in giving up 20 or less points,  w/o the overall talent of some of the top Defenses in the NFL,  is a terrific achievement. 

Quote:@jasoncolebr #Jaguars also have Kyle Shanahan on their list of coaching candidates. Obviously, he'll be popular.

It wouldn't surprise me if 4 or more teams want to interview Kyle Shanahan in January. 

Quote:This is something that's crossed my mind. This franchise holds TC in high regard, and rightfully so. However, his last few years in NY weren't perfect. What if, and this is a very possible if (especially with the question mark at QB. I mean, can you imagine Tom's reactions to Blake's penchant for dumb mistakes?), that he comes here and the team continues on a downward spiral and ends badly? How would that affect his legacy then?

Great point. The Kansas City game may have killed Tom. At the minimum he would have had a stroke.

I've wondered about the legacy thing myself. Coughlin knows he doesn't have many years of coaching left, so I assume he'd like to try and find a team that might be able to win soon. That usually means having a QB who can win. Wonder what he thinks of Bortles?

Of course, someone has to offer him a job. As a head coach. I have to idea what people are talking about when they talk about Head of Football Operations, or some such. That's what you have a GM for. And Coughlin is no GM. Nor does he want to be, I would assume.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.