Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars select fowler

Quote:I thought the OTTO was more of a run support role though, so wouldn't his "lack" of strength be more of a liability at that position?

(and I agree with your point about strength on the move, vs. from a static position)

Sort of, but not really.  It's a mix between a linebacker and defensive end.  They do both.

With that said, many many many players come into the league without enough strength.  Then they blow up.  See Luke Bowanko and Luke Joeckel.  They put on 10-20 pounds of mass in one offseason.  To say that Fowler wont do it is laughable....the Jaguars trainers will make sure it happens.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:OTTO is mostly outside edge run support, which is something Fowler does well.  Again, its the power of movement thing.  They also do a lot of pass rushing or short zones depending on the scheme.  For Fowler, 1st and 2nd down outside edge run support and then you would move him around on passing downs similar to Ryan Davis.
Yea they said he can move inside on the dline too, I also think he can play ILB at times, the guy is very versatile 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Lot of TJ Yeldon talk today...

Quote:I'm not even calling him a bust like a lot of others. He will be solid and unspectacular. Just not as good as a handful of other guys we could have had. 
signed, 

the vic beasley fan

Quote:I didnt see that at all from Beasely. I saw a guy who, to his credit, would scare guys up field with speed then later on use their overset and win with an up under or like you pointed out get them off balance and bull rush them back. IMO it wasn't pop, they're completely off balanced trying to kick slide out to him. All if that is great and a credit to Beasley's get off, not taking anything away from him. My concern is that many of the OT's in the NFL are a lot better athletes and are much more able to handle speed rushes. Can Beasley win after a OT slides out to cover him up like many in college couldn't?

Fowler doesn't have that speed and uses his hands better IMO. Does he need improvement, of course. But from what I've seen when he hits an OT with those heavy hands they can feel it.

I'm not trying to pimp Fowler over Beasley or anything like that. That's just what I've seen. We can disagree but you have valid concerns as do I. Fowler is still young and can definitely continue to add strength.
Whoa, Fowler taking advantage of oversets is the one I have seen the most. Inside counter moves off of oversets are by far the most consistently effective pressure I saw Fowler make. Unfortunately OTs in the NFL won't have such bad footwork...

Quote:Whoa, Fowler taking advantage of oversets is the one I have seen the most. Inside counter moves off of oversets are by far the most consistently effective pressure I saw Fowler make. Unfortunately OTs in the NFL won't have such bad footwork...
at the end of the day buddy, your charts and graphs don't always tell the whole tale of the story. I think ill trust our scouts, coaching staff and GM over your moneyball approach to the draft. You make it sound like your an expert....its kinda weird. 

Quote:signed, 

the vic beasley fan
Or in this case...Amari, or LW, or White, or Dupree...

I'm not a fan of Beasley. I don't care about him personally or have any rooting interests for him or Clemson. I just graded him as the best non QB player in this draft, and comfortably the best pass rusher in this draft. It doesn't go farther than that in any way.

Now that he's not a Jaguar I hope very much that I am wrong, I just don't think I will be. 

Quote:Whoa, Fowler taking advantage of oversets is the one I have seen the most. Inside counter moves off of oversets are by far the most consistently effective pressure I saw Fowler make. Unfortunately OTs in the NFL won't have such bad footwork...
I'm not saying that didn't happen with Fowler as well. My question to  you would be, if Fowler is such an average athlete why did so many OT's overset on him? Are you gonna chalk it up to all bad OT's or something else? Maybe  you don't have the answer and that's fine but I'm curious.

I know why guys overset with Beasely, his speed off the edge. How did an average athlete like Fowler get guys to do the same thing?

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Fowler is LEO, not OTTO.

Skuta is OTTO, but I would expect McKinney to play there and at MLB on passing downs if McKinney is our next pick.  Grooming McKinney to play MLB in the future, but putting him on the field at OTTO in the mean time.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 02:37 PM by knarnn.)

Relentless, violent, aggressive. I'll take it.

[Image: istNrd0.gif]

[Image: vCONLib.gif]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

[Image: JT3JYU0.gif]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Relentless, violent, aggressive. I'll take it.

[Image: istNrd0.gif]

[Image: vCONLib.gif]

yes please.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

For me, Fowler goes from one of the most hated, to one of the most loved, just over night..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:yes please.

With him pushing the QBs back into the pocket even if he doesn't get the sack Marks and company are going to be feasting.

Quote:I'm not saying that didn't happen with Fowler as well. My question to  you would be, if Fowler is such an average athlete why did so many OT's overset on him? Are you gonna chalk it up to all bad OT's or something else? Maybe  you don't have the answer and that's fine but I'm curious.

I know why guys overset with Beasely, his speed off the edge. How did an average athlete like Fowler get guys to do the same thing?
First I would just say cause college OTs are bad, especially on the right side where most of that happened. Second, Fowler's first step is fine, not great but good enough. It's his agility/bend/CoD that is lacking. 

Quote:For me, Fowler goes from one of the most hated, to one of the most loved, just over night..

To go back even further he was a message board favorite about a month ago.

Quote:With him pushing the QBs back into the pocket even if he doesn't get the sack Marks and company are going to be feasting.

the gators d line wasnt as good as normal. fowler created a lot of that himself.

i think the push from inside is going to allow fowler to bring the havoc. odick, marks(when hes healthy) on the inside is going to look really good with a guy that plays like fowler coming from the outside. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:To go back even further he was a message board favorite about a month ago.

I hate all gaters until they become Jags Wink
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:For me, Fowler goes from one of the most hated, to one of the most loved, just over night..

thats what happens when people buy the garbage some posters spew.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 02:56 PM by JagByte.)

Quote:Fowler is LEO, not OTTO.

Skuta is OTTO, but I would expect McKinney to play there and at MLB on passing downs if McKinney is our next pick.  Grooming McKinney to play MLB in the future, but putting him on the field at OTTO in the mean time.

This is what I thought.  Fowler, LEO - Skuta, OTTO.  To me, different body types and skill sets.