Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should the confederate flag continued to be honored?

Quote:Race relations are no problem in my area. I took a nasty fall on July 4th, dropped everything I had, lost my glasses and my hat. Fortunately there were people around me. A Real Nice black family helped me up, gathered my things and handed them to me. Of course I thanked them for their help and they were worried if I was OK. I told them nothing wounded but my pride. It all depends on the area you're in.
You're using one interaction to generalize for an entire area.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You're using one interaction to generalize for an entire area.
I just had a sandwich, therefore there is no problem with hunger. 

Quote:You're using one interaction to generalize for an entire area.

Small town mentality here in my area. Yes we do have SOME problems but that's mostly in the Projects........

Wants to join the "cereal box" dating service. I've dated enough flakes and nuts...all I want is the prize now.
[Image: mds111.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015, 03:16 PM by SamusAranX.)

Quote:Go ahead and believe it was solely or almost entirely about slavery if you wish. The South was offered twice a Constitutional Amendment to protect slavery, but it was declined because it was only one of many grievances by the South. Four of the States didn't even join the Confederacy until Lincoln started the Civil War and invaded the South. They were protecting what they perceived as one sovereignty being invaded by an aggressor.
You ignore, once again, the words coming from the mouth of the Confederacy founders themselves, that state the secession was about their rights to promulgate slavery were threatened. They rejected the amendments most likely due to the fact they would never pass. You conveniently omit the fact that the Republican Party achieved majorities in both the House and Senate in the election of 1860; this would be a death blow to any proposed amendment. And the southerners knew this. You can gloss over the sources from their own mouths and the historical context of the time; whatever helps you stay in denial

[Image: Confedvet_zpsyrbx5puc.jpg]

Wants to join the "cereal box" dating service. I've dated enough flakes and nuts...all I want is the prize now.
[Image: mds111.jpg]

Quote:[Image: Confedvet_zpsyrbx5puc.jpg]

Correct me if I'm mistaken but the monument is still intact isn't it?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Correct me if I'm mistaken but the monument is still intact isn't it?

I guess I missed the removed headstones too

Quote:I guess I missed the removed headstones too
It was on grandma's Facebook it must be true!

http://www.expressnews.com/news/educatio...377518.php

Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

Quote:Where it's race relations getting better, specifically?

I've been under the impression that racism is still a big problem. Hence all that anti racism stuff during the prior world cup...

We disagree to at least some extent on a high % of political topics.   But in this case,  I strongly agree with you.   At least in the United States,  my impression is racism has become much more noticeable in recent years.   We probably would disagree on why this is the case but the reality seems to be that it is the case.   

Quote:http://www.expressnews.com/news/educatio...377518.php

Pretty disgusting if you ask me.
Login wall.

Quote:Login wall.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.salon.com/2015/07/06/new_texas_history_textbooks_soft_pedal_the_cause_of_the_civil_war_its_about_states_rights/'>http://www.salon.com/2015/07/06/new_texas_history_textbooks_soft_pedal_the_cause_of_the_civil_war_its_about_states_rights/</a>

27 pages in, we've resolved so much in this thread.

I love political forums.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.salon.com/2015/07/06/new_texas_history_textbooks_soft_pedal_the_cause_of_the_civil_war_its_about_states_rights/'>http://www.salon.com/2015/07/06/new_texas_history_textbooks_soft_pedal_the_cause_of_the_civil_war_its_about_states_rights/</a>
Quote:Another board member, Pat Hardy, claimed that slavery was “a side issue to the Civil War,” and that the real reason it was fought “was over states’ rights.” Beliefs like those made their way into the standards, and therefore wormed their way into textbooks which are as notable for what they exclude as for what they include.

As Brown noted, Texas students are required to read Confederate President Jefferson Davis’ first inaugural address, in which he makes no mention of slavery, but not his Vice President Alexander Stephens’, in which he identifies “African slavery as it exists amongst us” and “the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization” as “the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.”

Sounds familiar.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:FTFY.

I don't disagree.  I am ok with those crossed out redactions at the most basically level to keep people alive.  Not steak and lobster.