Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Two Mississippi cops shot dead during traffic stop

Quote:I stand corrected. He merely provided an explanation of The Drifter's generalization.

He provided only one explanation. I was curious as to why that was the only example he gave.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm not sure why we have to confine it to music. Who said anything about country music celebrating gangsta rap? Lol, you went in a completely different direction.

You were asking if country music promoted thug culture the same way gangster rap does. The answer is a resounding no.

Quote:You were asking if country music promoted thug culture the same way gangster rap does. The answer is a resounding no.

No I did not.

Quote:He provided only one explanation. I was curious as to why that was the only example he gave.

Because in today's society, more people can familiarize with Tupac and not Tony Soprano..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 03:05 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:I wasn't referring just to illegal things necessarily. There are lots of legal things that send the wrong message.

I'll have to do some lyrical research, but you would be amazed at how similar some of the messages are in country and rap music. They are just packaged differently.

One thing amazed me is the song Cocaine by Eric Clapton (Originally JJ Cale). That song has been on air waves for a long time glorifying cocaine, one of the most addictive illegal drugs out there. Was there any backlash against that song?

I'll gladly provide hundreds of examples of rap lyrics that are way, way more violent than any Eric Clapton or Bob Marley song. Shall we?

Quote:No I did not.

um......

Quote:So country music and rock and roll haven't done the same thing just in different ways?

Quote:I'll have to do some lyrical research, but you would be amazed at how similar some of the messages are in country and rap music. They are just packaged differently.

thug culture

Quote:Based on what, or is it a "just 'cus thats how it is" type of thing. 2000 Escalade, pulled over, likely had drugs in the car, they decide they have a better chance killing these cops and trying to escape than facing mandatory minimums for two felons with guns, and most likely drugs in the car. I doubt these idiots are up on any news.

Very well possible..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 03:23 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Smack or any other "battle league" is hardly indicative of any sort of majority.  I'm not even denying that some rap is about those things mentioned earlier...but it's nowhere near as prevalent as it was 10 20 or 30 years ago.  Even Jay Z spends half his rhymes about art.

It may not be as prevelent as it was before, but that's because it ran the culture back 10 and 20 years okay. The promotion of violence is still more prevelent in rap than any other genre, and that's not really debatable.

Further, If people are using examples of Eric Clapton and Bob Marley of how other genres promote violence, how is it unfair to compare then to N.W.A, Tupac, and Bone Thugs n Harmony? And f Redneck Crazy is being used as an example of country promoting violence, then the battle rap scene is most definitly in play.

Quote:Based on what, or is it a "just 'cus thats how it is" type of thing.  2000 Escalade, pulled over, likely had drugs in the car, they decide they have a better chance killing these cops and trying to escape than facing mandatory minimums for two felons with guns, and most likely drugs in the car.  I doubt these idiots are up on any news. 

You don't think they have any idea who Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, or Freddie Gray are? That is incredibly ignorant.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 03:40 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Again, I'm a huge Bone Thugs fan. Nothing I've ever heard from any country song compares to the violence/crime in songs like Thug Love, Notorius Thugs, Mo Murda, Thuggish Ruggish Bone, For Tha Love Of Money, Shotz To The Double Glock, Notorius Thugs, No Surrender, etc. That's just Bone Thugs n Harmony, not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of other gangster rappers.

And while it's not as prevelent as it use to be, it's not like the same things aren't celebrated in the rap culture. Genius.com #13 rap song of 2014 (Multiple - A$AP Rocky ft. Juicy J):

Back in the buildin', sold crack in the livin' room

*N word* toe-tagged, sold gats for a livin'

Doo rag, keep a red or blue flag in the denim

One you be with be the one to shoot at ya in a minute

Come to Harlem if you never seen Baghdad

First place I seen a *n word* sell crack at

Where the hustlers don't sleep, take cat naps

Shorty with the shotty limpin' like he got a bad back, bad back

Even in my will, keep it real, thuggin' in my field

'Til the day I peel, keep it trill, anything I feel

Youngins trained to kill, aimin', bangin' steel and slangin' krill

She shake it all for Satan just to paint her nails and pay her bills

I ain't really *f'in* with that Been Trill

Swear them *n-word* booty like Tip Drill

Nah I ain't really into throwin' shots

But these mothaf[BAD WORD REMOVED]** better give me my props, word to Pac

We're the reason that these *n-word* gettin' throwed

Reason why you *n-word* wearin' gold

Jail pose in the pictures, prayin' fingers to your nose

I remember, if Pimp was alive he'd tell these hoes and these *n-word*

But yes, tell me about how Redneck Crazy compares to that level of crime/violence. Wallbash

Quote:I hope you've never gone Redneck Crazy.

That's about the only thing I can think of country talks about drinking and driving
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 03:48 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:That's about the only thing I can think of country talks about drinking and driving

Glorifying murder and even killing cops in rap is nowhere near as violent as country singers singing about drinking and driving. Come on, Eric. Blush

Quote:Glorifying murder and even killing cops in rap is nowhere near as violent as country singers singing about drinking and driving. Come on, Eric. Blush

I'm on your side lol I was just trying to give him some credit. Most of country is songs about a girl leaving or drinking.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 03:58 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Again, I'm a huge Bone Thugs fan. Nothing I've ever heard from any country song compares to the violence/crime in songs like Thug Love, Notorius Thugs, Mo Murda, Thuggish Ruggish Bone, For Tha Love Of Money, Shotz To The Double Glock, Notorius Thugs, No Surrender, etc. That's just Bone Thugs n Harmony, not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of other gangster rappers.

And while it's not as prevelent as it use to be, it's not like the same things aren't celebrated in the rap culture. Genius.com #13 rap song of 2014 (Multiple - A$AP Rocky ft. Juicy J):

Back in the buildin', sold crack in the livin' room

*N word* toe-tagged, sold gats for a livin'

Doo rag, keep a red or blue flag in the denim

One you be with be the one to shoot at ya in a minute

Come to Harlem if you never seen Baghdad

First place I seen a *n word* sell crack at

Where the hustlers don't sleep, take cat naps

Shorty with the shotty limpin' like he got a bad back, bad back

Even in my will, keep it real, thuggin' in my field

'Til the day I peel, keep it trill, anything I feel

Youngins trained to kill, aimin', bangin' steel and slangin' krill

She shake it all for Satan just to paint her nails and pay her bills

I ain't really *f'in* with that Been Trill

Swear them *n-word* booty like Tip Drill

Nah I ain't really into throwin' shots

But these mothaf[BAD WORD REMOVED]** better give me my props, word to Pac

We're the reason that these *n-word* gettin' throwed

Reason why you *n-word* wearin' gold

Jail pose in the pictures, prayin' fingers to your nose

I remember, if Pimp was alive he'd tell these hoes and these *n-word*

But yes, tell me about how Redneck Crazy compares to that level of crime/violence. Wallbash

How much of "gangsta rap" is describing what they've seen in their lives, as opposed to glorifying it?

Besides, absent any other evidence, why is this inferred in this thread?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

killed you

Quote:How much of "gangsta rap" is describing what they've seen in their lives, as opposed to glorifying it?

Besides, absent any other evidence, why is this inferred in this thread?

It's a mix of both and I'm sure we can agree on that. There is certainly more glorification of violent crimes in rap music than country music, though. I'm providing evidence because a poster implied that country music and rock promote thug culture on the level rap does. That is absurd.

Quote:Hip hop is probably more prevalent in mainstream now than it was 10 or 20 years go, commercials, movies, tv, radio, ringtones, video games and everything else.  Which like I said before, if it is more popular now (the same argument the gun lobby uses when they say gun ownership is up), then why is violent crime down if the thug culture coming from rap is so dominant now?

Ok let me rephrase then, I doubt these idiots had the news on their mind anymore than fight or flight from a drug sentence.  Do I know they had drugs?  No, but based on the circumstances the situation screams it...and at the very least they were felons in possession of loaded firearms.

I'm certain that was more on their minds than "oh imma kill me a cop just because."  If they were wanting to just kill a cop, why not kill the cop before his assist came?

Okay, I was under the impression you were a solid poster and didn't resort to putting words in mouths the way others have been. I said that thug culture rap (ie. N.W.A., Bone Thugs, Tupac, etc.) dominated the rap culture back in the 90s. I said it was much more predominant then than it is now, which is maybe related to crime being down now. Rap is more popular now than it was 20 years ago, but there were many more gangster rappers in the 90s than there are now. That being said, there are still more rappers promoting thug culture than country music singers promoting thug culture. This has been my point the entire time and I highly doubt you disagree with that.

And, again who is saying that their minds were "oh ima kill me a cop just because". No one is saying that. All anyone has said is that thug culture and current events regarding police brutality may have influenced the suspects lifestyle/choices. There is no need to speak in absolutes when having a discussion unless you are trying to build a strawman, and I'd like to believe you are a better poster than that.

How is violent rap music any different than violent TV shows like Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad?

;

;

When was the last time some of you walked through a ghetto neighborhood?

This is a very real problem. While I do not solely believe rap music to be responsible for what they believe, I do believe that rap music represents what many of them believe. 

As for the 90s vs 2000s, many of the people raised in the 90s are parents now. I'm not sure it's as easy as saying that fewer exist today, so it isn't as big a problem as before. Now you just have more generations of people that have been taught to be violent. I don't believe that rap is teaching them, however, but I do believe that it accurately represents much of their culture and reinforces what they already believe.