Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should the word "Thug" be considered racist?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should the word "Thug" be considered racist?

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 02:32 AM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:While we are at it, are there any more words out there that they consider racist besides "thug" and the "n" word?

Maybe hoodlum, is that one racist?

How about hood rat, is that one racist?

What about criminal, is that one racist?

Could gangster be considered racist?

Any other words...............................they might consider racist?
I think the word racist is racist.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 01:05 PM by Jinjo.)

I have seen people in the media use the term "white thug" but have never heard them say "black thug", when the subject they are talking about is black, or any minority really, they just say "thug". So yes it is clearly a racial connotation to me, and thats just one example, not basing my whole opinion on just that.  

They call white people criminals but black people thugs when they are doing unlawful behavior. In the context people use like to use the word "thug" I think "criminal" is much more appropriate for everyone. 

Quote:Do some people use the word "thug" in a racial context? Yup.. Does that make the word "thug" racial? Nope..

Will I stop calling people thugs when they act like thugs? Nope..

Act like a thug, get called a thug.. Don't like being called a thug? Stop acting like one.. It's pretty simple..

This x100.

So if more and more people are using "thug" in a racial context how does that not make it into a racial term? Those people have MADE it a racial term..

Quote:So if more and more people are using "thug" in a racial context how does that not make it into a racial term? Those people have MADE it a racial term..

No they haven't.. Misusing the word doesn't change it's meaning.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will take the "T" word away from me.

Thug thug thug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will take the "T" word away from me.

Thug thug thug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: svp8k6.png]

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:[Image: svp8k6.png]

And I mean NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

People that insist the work thug is racist are under the false impression that all thugs are black.  

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:People that insist the work thug is racist are under the false impression that all thugs are black.  

They are also very subconscious about the word thug, but I will NOT let them tell me what the definition of THUG is, that's what the dictionary is for.

They can just look up the word "thug" in the dictionary and see what the meaning of the word "thug" is.

Quote:People that insist the work thug is racist are under the false impression that all thugs are black.

Its called projection.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Why is this even a thing?

Because the standard knee jerk reaction from the PC crew in the media is to try to pin a specific label on something to generate faux outrage because it gets ratings and page hits. It's what they do.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I have seen people in the media use the term "white thug" but have never heard them say "black thug", when the subject they are talking about is black, or any minority really, they just say "thug". So yes it is clearly a racial connotation to me, and thats just one example, not basing my whole opinion on just that.

They call white people criminals but black people thugs when they are doing unlawful behavior. In the context people use like to use the word "thug" I think "criminal" is much more appropriate for everyone.

The media rarely disloses the race of minority criminals, it destroys the victim card if they do. The one exception is when they are killed by police, then the media does what it can to start a riot.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Exactly right.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Exactly right.

Actually, these are the people who realize that the majority only use the word "thug" when the subjects are minorities. 

Quote:I have seen people in the media use the term "white thug" but have never heard them say "black thug", when the subject they are talking about is black, or any minority really, they just say "thug". So yes it is clearly a racial connotation to me, and thats just one example, not basing my whole opinion on just that.  

I've seen Neo-Nazis appropriately being called thugs without ' white'  being mentioned.   Guaranteed,   there are illustrations of this on the Internet.  

Key word is MAJORITY

Most of the time, white people are called criminals. While minorities are labeled thugs. Feel free to disagree. But this is what I have witnessed. 

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 12:27 AM by D6.)

Here's a recent example from a crime in St. Louis of the term " black thugs" being used.   In this case,  it was used a great leader who happens to be black,  Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson:

http://www.wnd.com/2015/03/help-pleads-w...-question/

Civil rights leader and founder of the Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny Jesse Lee Peterson blames the increase in racial tension on actions taken by the Obama administration.

“This latest black on white attack in St. Louis does not surprise me. It’s another example of the growing racially motivated violence against white folks,” Peterson said. “Barack Obama, Eric Holder, and the so-called civil rights leaders have given blacks the justification to attack whites. White people, for the most part, are afraid and too cowardly to fight back and it is bringing out the worst in these black thugs.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/03/help-pleads-w...vb7G4GZ.99

Obama has given justification for blacks to attack whites? Yeah save me with all that... blocked.