Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Muslim Students Rush Stage, Force Cancellation of University’s ‘American Sniper’ Showing

Quote:No other source I can find says that they were saying anything Anti-American.

Reminds me of when the Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed Bush was from Texas, and everyone wanted to Deport them.

Everyone?  I don't recall that at all.  Sure many people said that if they were so ashamed of The President or Our Country they were free to leave.  Isn't it funny though that after saying what they said, most consumers of country music stopped supporting them, and where are they now?

Quote:The worst part of that came five years later when the same people condemning the Dixie Chicks were praising artists spouting hateful vitriol about Obama. Apparently they forgot about the whole "support your president, no matter what".

Care to provide a link where artists were "spouting hateful vitriol about President Obama"?  I know that some have spoken out against his policies and have expressed that they didn't vote for him, but I don't recall anyone saying that they were "embarrassed" of him.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Everyone?  I don't recall that at all.  Sure many people said that if they were so ashamed of The President or Our Country they were free to leave.  Isn't it funny though that after saying what they said, most consumers of country music stopped supporting them, and where are they now?

It's called Hyperbole.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:It's called Hyperbole.
Hyperbole or not, I don't really recall anyone saying the Dixie Chicks should be deported. 

Now, there were some idiots who threatened them, or did other stupid things.  As conservative as I am, I just chalked them up as ignorant idiots who started to believe their celebrity somehow gave their opinion more gravity.  It doesn't.  They made their comments, stood behind them, and the market pretty much did the rest.  No deportation required.  They were exiled to irrelevance. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

2/3rds of The Dixie Chicks are still pretty hot, so 2/3rds of them get a free pass for being stupid..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:The worst part of that came five years later when the same people condemning the Dixie Chicks were praising artists spouting hateful vitriol about Obama. Apparently they forgot about the whole "support your president, no matter what".

Quote:Conservatives are immune to irony. Doesn't even register.

Oh, stop. Those are the vocal minority. Besides, I think it's funny that you two make it appear as though they didn't see the coincidence when you two can't (or refuse) to see that both parties have this problem. 

I can't yet understand how someone can defend the protesters' actions. Free speech doesn't mean you can physically stop others from doing the same. While they may not have attacked anyone, they prohibited others from lawfully displaying their own. I don't believe that they should be deported, however. What they didn't isn't protected by the First Amendment. 

Quote:I can't yet understand how someone can defend the protesters' actions. Free speech doesn't mean you can physically stop others from doing the same. While they may not have attacked anyone, they prohibited others from lawfully displaying their own. I don't believe that they should be deported, however. What they didn't isn't protected by the First Amendment. 

Who's defending the protesters actions? 

The idea they should be deported for (allegedly) saying Unamerican things was what drew criticism, as it should.  Because people have a right to say things we don't like.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I can't yet understand how someone can defend the protesters' actions. Free speech doesn't mean you can physically stop others from doing the same. While they may not have attacked anyone, they prohibited others from lawfully displaying their own. I don't believe that they should be deported, however. What they didn't isn't protected by the First Amendment. 

Who is defending the protestors actions? 

They're idiots.  They are certainly entitled to speak their minds, but when they become disruptive, they're breaking the law.  They're bothered by a movie.  Nobody is forcing them to watch it.  They can certainly express their displeasure that the movie is being shown, but when they disrupt that from occurring, they should be asked to leave, and if they don't, they should be cited for disrupting the peace.  If they continue their shenanigans, they should be removed.  If they resist, that's another charge.  They don't need to be deported for anything they're saying, even if it's the most blatant, anti-American rhetoric ever uttered.  But, just as they have a right to speech, those who were there to see the movie have a right to a peaceful and safe environment. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Who's defending the protesters actions? 

The idea they should be deported for (allegedly) saying Unamerican things was what drew criticism, as it should.  Because people have a right to say things we don't like.

As long as we agree that they do not have a right to a platform in a private setting then you are correct.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Not really.  While most conservatives that I know would not agree with the protest or the way that it was done, most would not say such a thing.  You see that expressed here by many conservative-leaning people including myself.  While I don't agree with their protest or how they carried it out, I don't advocate incarceration or deportation and I support their right to free speech.
I think the extreme hatred of multiple groups is not the whole base but a very loud group. 

Quote:Who's defending the protesters actions?  

Quote:Who is defending the protestors actions? 

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It was just a generic statement to whomever may have supported them.

Quote:It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It was just a generic statement to whomever may have supported them.

When it comes to "supporting them" here is my stance.  They have absolutely every right to protest the movie and say whatever they want... as long as it is in a lawful way.

As far as the "why" they are protesting, then I absolutely disagree with them.  The movie is about a sniper that had to do things that were very painful when it comes to common personal values.  Imagine watching a mother give a bomb to her small child intended to kill American Soldiers or friendlies.  Do you kill the small child and save some troops or do you let him carry out his task?

It has to be a large burden to bear knowing that you killed a small child, even though not doing so would have resulted in a worse situation.  That's a reality that most people can't seem to comprehend.

My guess is that these "protesters" are going to tell you that the evil U. S. Military is out there killing women and children.  While the statement might be "technically" true, the context is not.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:When it comes to "supporting them" here is my stance. They have absolutely every right to protest the movie and say whatever they want... as long as it is in a lawful way.

As far as the "why" they are protesting, then I absolutely disagree with them. The movie is about a sniper that had to do things that were very painful when it comes to common personal values. Imagine watching a mother give a bomb to her small child intended to kill American Soldiers or friendlies. Do you kill the small child and save some troops or do you let him carry out his task?

It has to be a large burden to bear knowing that you killed a small child, even though not doing so would have resulted in a worse situation. That's a reality that most people can't seem to comprehend.

My guess is that these "protesters" are going to tell you that the evil U. S. Military is out there killing women and children. While the statement might be "technically" true, the context is not.

Reasonable analysis of the situation. I agree

Quote:Everyone?  I don't recall that at all.  Sure many people said that if they were so ashamed of The President or Our Country they were free to leave.  Isn't it funny though that after saying what they said, most consumers of country music stopped supporting them, and where are they now?

Care to provide a link where artists were "spouting hateful vitriol about President Obama"?  I know that some have spoken out against his policies and have expressed that they didn't vote for him, but I don't recall anyone saying that they were "embarrassed" of him.

Google Ted Nugent.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Google Ted Nugent.

Easily the biggest one and a hero to many

O.K.  One aging far right wing washed up rocker who made comments in interviews here in the U.S.  I wouldn't exactly compare that with the Dixie "Twits" making the comments that they did on stage in a foreign country.

Quote:I think the extreme hatred of multiple groups is not the whole base but a very loud group. 

You really need to work on your rhetoric. Disagreeing with someone does NOT mean you hate them. Often your disagreement is for their improvement, not their repression. And furthermore, not all hate is bad, it's a value judgement open to subjectivity. I don't hate Muslims, but I hate the activities many of them are engaged in to opress their neighbors and I want them to stop, as in this particular case where their protests trounced the rights of the other movie-goers. I don't hate the highway protesters, but I hate their actions that tie up traffic for their neighbors and I want them to stop. I don't hate the Police, but I hate their actions that step on the rights of the citizenry and I want it to stop.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

These students had no right interrupting the showing of the movie in the fashion they did. Standing outside of the building where they showed it protesting would be one thing. Interfering with is another. Deport? No, punish to the max of the law? I would hope.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:O.K.  One aging far right wing washed up rocker who made comments in interviews here in the U.S.  I wouldn't exactly compare that with the Dixie "Twits" making the comments that they did on stage in a foreign country.

Search for Nugent on Youtube. I can't post or link them due to language, but he invited the President and then Secretary of State to "entertain" an AK-47 during an on stage rant.

Texas Congressman Steve Stockman invited Nugent to be his guest at the State of the Union address, and probable Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee played bass with the aging rocker. Nugent also campaigned for Romney, and his endorsment was welcomed by other Republican. Sure, they distanced themselves after the outcry over his comments, but he received very little of the vitriol directed at the Dixie Chicks.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Nugent was relevant how many decades ago?  The Dixie Chicks were at the top of their game when they made their opinions known.  Nugent got publicity at a point when some folks probably thought he was dead.  His career surely was.