Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Win for Net Neutrality

Quote:I am curious how these new regulation will effect outliers like myself with satellite internet as our only option.

Oh god, satellite internet.  Do you have hughesnet?  I feel sorry for anyone who has to have satellite internet.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Oh god, satellite internet.  Do you have hughesnet?  I feel sorry for anyone who has to have satellite internet.

Ha no but boy I'm ticked off, the last year I've been paying 69.99 to Dish for 10MB of Data I just found out by switching to Direct TV I'm getting 150MB of Data for the same price! Argh! 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Ha no but boy I'm ticked off, the last year I've been paying 69.99 to Dish for 10MB of Data I just found out by switching to Direct TV I'm getting 150MB of Data for the same price! Argh! 

Geez, that's ridiculous.  Satellite internet is crazy expensive with data limits.  Of course so is cable and satellite television... hate how those keep going up and up every year.  Doesn't help I'm sure that they offer really low introductory rates to draw you in.  Some of these companies have ways to save money, but you have to REALLY go out of your way to find them.  We had our phone/internet bill lowered by $20/month (and got increased speeds) but only because we contacted Verizon, and asked why we were getting billed for a specific internet service (high speed enhanced) but not getting the speeds that it offers.

Quote:Geez, that's ridiculous. Satellite internet is crazy expensive with data limits. Of course so is cable and satellite television... hate how those keep going up and up every year. Doesn't help I'm sure that they offer really low introductory rates to draw you in. Some of these companies have ways to save money, but you have to REALLY go out of your way to find them. We had our phone/internet bill lowered by $20/month (and got increased speeds) but only because we contacted Verizon, and asked why we were getting billed for a specific internet service (high speed enhanced) but not getting the speeds that it offers.

Yea it sucks we're in a real rural area so there's only internet by satellite we don't even have phone lines. But I shouldn't complain we choose it here because of the seclusion so expensive and limited internet is just one of the trade offs for the privacy I enjoy. I just can't believe I was wasting so much money with dish lol.

Quote:Yea it sucks we're in a real rural area so there's only internet by satellite we don't even have phone lines. But I shouldn't complain we choose it here because of the seclusion so expensive and limited internet is just one of the trade offs for the privacy I enjoy. I just can't believe I was wasting so much money with dish lol.

We didn't choose where we live.  My grandmother left me the house and land in the will, so my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I moved in.  Eventually we had a new house built.  It's not too bad of a place, because my wife's job is really close, and my job is really close (neither more than a mile away).  Rural areas are nice, but have a lot of disadvantages.  

Was making the switch difficult?  I know usually they have back out fees, and stuff like that.  

Quote:We didn't choose where we live. My grandmother left me the house and land in the will, so my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I moved in. Eventually we had a new house built. It's not too bad of a place, because my wife's job is really close, and my job is really close (neither more than a mile away). Rural areas are nice, but have a lot of disadvantages.

Was making the switch difficult? I know usually they have back out fees, and stuff like that.

Cost me about $400 to switch out but it's worth it dish sucks that bad

Quote:FYI: The Netherlands has had net neutrality for years and our internet is far from crippled or any other terms big business likes to use to scare people. In fact, almost everyone in the country has access to faster, cheaper, and more reliable internet than the US.

You seem to forget, whatever the U.S. government gets it's tentacles in to always screws up in a big way

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:You seem to forget, whatever the U.S. government gets it's tentacles in to always screws up in a big way

That's just what Big Business wants you to think. That's why when Comcast sues to slow down the internet, you can't see the problem with that.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/26/comcast-we-will-sue-to-slow-the-web.html'>http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/26/comcast-we-will-sue-to-slow-the-web.html</a>

Quote:You seem to forget, whatever the U.S. government gets it's tentacles in to always screws up in a big way
You seem to forget, the alternative is to hand things over to massive corporations who care nothing about you except for much money they can extract from you for as little service as possible. 

Quote:You seem to forget, the alternative is to hand things over to massive corporations who care nothing about you except for much money they can extract from you for as little service as possible. 
You seem to forget they are the good guys.  :teehee:

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015, 04:17 PM by The Drifter.)

I especially agree with #4, and this is an Obama appointee saying that

7 Reasons Net Neutrality Is a Threat to Your Freedom

The FCC's Democrat majority voted on Thursday to fix something that ain't broken by approving new regulations for the Internet. Republicans are dissenting, darkly suggesting that the new rules in government hands are a threat.
<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-align:left;"> 

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/seven-rea...id/627247/
</div>
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote: 

I especially agree with #4, and this is an Obama appointee saying that

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">

The FCC's Democrat majority voted on Thursday to fix something that ain't broken by approving new regulations for the Internet. Republicans are dissenting, darkly suggesting that the new rules in government hands are a threat.
<div> 

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/seven-rea...id/627247/
</div>

</div>
Of course they are. It was not their idea nor in the interest of their donors. This is not a hard thing to figure out. Every issue must be partisan. EVERY ONE. 

Quote:Ha no but boy I'm ticked off, the last year I've been paying 69.99 to Dish for 10MB of Data I just found out by switching to Direct TV I'm getting 150MB of Data for the same price! Argh! 

Wait your speed was 10mbps or do you mean you can only get 10 mb worth of data per month or whatever?  The latter sounds crazy bad, but if you mean you can get 150 mbps for $69 thats a steal.  

Quote:I especially agree with #4, and this is an Obama appointee saying that

<p class="bbc_left">

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);"></span>
<p class="bbc_left"><a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/seven-reasons-net-neutrality-threat/2015/02/27/id/627247/'>http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/seven-reasons-net-neutrality-threat/2015/02/27/id/627247/</a>

Lol drifter you crazy old hobo you

Quote:Wait your speed was 10mbps or do you mean you can only get 10 mb worth of data per month or whatever?  The latter sounds crazy bad, but if you mean you can get 150 mbps for $69 thats a steal.  

No I was getting 10 mb of data per month, now I can get 150 mb of data per month. The speeds about the same 12mbps. Satellite internet isn't fast at all, and has data restrictions unless you use it after midnight and before 6am, but I'm NEVER awake at that point.

Quote:No I was getting 10 mb of data per month, now I can get 150 mb of data per month. The speeds about the same 12mbps. Satellite internet isn't fast at all, and has data restrictions unless you use it after midnight and before 6am, but I'm NEVER awake at that point.
That is an awful data plan. I didn't realize satellite had such poor data caps. I knew the speed was generally awful.

Quote:That is an awful data plan. I didn't realize satellite had such poor data caps. I knew the speed was generally awful.

I'm sorry everyone it's GB not MB, we got 10 GB of data a month. Still not great and the download speeds are up to 10 Mbps.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:I'm sorry everyone it's GB not MB, we got 10 GB of data a month. Still not great and the download speeds are up to 10 Mbps.

Yeah, I figured you meant GB not MB.  Your speeds are much better than ours though (1.2 Mbps).  Also is the new price a promotional price, or your normal price?

Quote:Yeah, I figured you meant GB not MB.  Your speeds are much better than ours though (1.2 Mbps).  Also is the new price a promotional price, or your normal price?

$10 off the first year so next year it goes up 10 bucks but I don't mind, 150 GB we might actually be able to use Netflix again.

Quote:I'm sorry everyone it's GB not MB, we got 10 GB of data a month. Still not great and the download speeds are up to 10 Mbps.

lol that's why I just assumed you may have meant mbps , 10 mb of data would be rough, then again 10 gb is pretty bad too.  150 is probably hard depending on how many people you have.  Before I left ATT they had a 100gb cap and I would go over, well they would say I wen't over, but I didn't trust their data meter at all, plus they always did shady [BAD WORD REMOVED] with the bills to begin with.  Awful company, it's terrible companies like ATT that make me almost want to trust the FCC.