Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is the SEC overrated?

Quote:What makes you think FSU wouldn't make it through those four without a loss? Because it's the SEC West right?
Believe with your eyes. I personally think they'd lose at minimum one, and if I was betting, I'd say two.

You think they'd go undefeated? Truly believe that?

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, because I've watched FSU play this year.  Last year they probably would have been fine, but this year they aren't nearly as good.  Their defense is soft and they aren't as dynamic on offense.  They lost too many players to the pros and Jameis can't make up for all that lost talent.

He seems to be doing just fine making up for it this year. He is carrying this team.

The defense is soft yes, but they come up with stops when we need them most. As long as Jameis Winston is starting at QB, I'd be confident going into any game FSU can win.

Quote:I've never once listened to him.  Does the truth hurt?
I listen from time to time, and yes, the truth is hurting. Apparently.

;

Quote:He seems to be doing just fine making up for it this year. He is carrying this team.

The defense is soft yes, but they come up with stops when we need them most. As long as Jameis Winston is starting at QB, I'd be confident going into any game FSU can win.

That's fine, but if you had to play those teams I listed back to back to back to back.....I think you would lose at least one in there.  

The only team in the same realm (and I think would lose to all 4) was Notre Dame, and FSU got out by the skin of their teeth in that one.  Doing that week after week wouldn't happen.

Quote:That's fine, but if you had to play those teams I listed back to back to back to back.....I think you would lose at least one in there.  

The only team in the same realm (and I think would lose to all 4) was Notre Dame, and FSU got out by the skin of their teeth in that one.  Doing that week after week wouldn't happen.

Isn't that exactly what Mississippi State is doing?

Quote:Isn't that exactly what Mississippi State is doing?
Which is why I am wondering why the same logic is not being used on FSU.

;

Quote:Isn't that exactly what Mississippi State is doing?

Miss St has beaten Auburn and LSU.  Both of these teams are better than anyone has played.

They still have Bama and Ole Miss and if they win out the SEC title game.  FSU has a cake walk to the ACC Championship. (Miami may give them a much better game than most people think.)

Top of the SEC > Top of Big 10 > Middle of SEC > Middle of Big 10 > Bottom of SEC > Bottom of Big 10.

Quote:Top of the SEC > Top of Big 10 > Middle of SEC > Middle of Big 10 > Bottom of SEC > Bottom of Big 10.

This is relatively close....I'd suspect some of the bottom of the SEC could challenge the middle of the pack B1G.

I agree with this mostly though.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014, 12:19 PM by BigJohn98.)

Quote:This is relatively close....I'd suspect some of the bottom of the SEC could challenge the middle of the pack B1G.

I agree with this mostly though.

So you think Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Mississippi State (usually a cellar dweller, not this year obviously) would challenge the middle of the pack B1G schools?

Quote:So you think Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Mississippi State (usually a cellar dweller, not this year obviously) would challenge the middle of the pack B1G schools?

Do I think those teams would give pretty good games against Maryland, Michigan, and Northwestern?  Yes sir, I do.

Quote:So you think Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Mississippi State (usually a cellar dweller, not this year obviously) would challenge the middle of the pack B1G schools?

Yes.  No question.  And every bowl season we see the results.

I would give Arkansas a reasonable chance of winning the Big10 West this year.  Wisconsin and Nebraska could be tough but I'd be suprised if they didnt finish at least 2nd or 3rd.  I know you can play the whole they beat this team that just beat that team all day long.  Buuuuut... they did beat Northern Iowa by 40 points this year.  The same Northern Iowa that is 3-0 against the Big10 the past two seasons.

Quote:Yes.  No question.  And every bowl season we see the results.

And one thing about the bowl season with the Big 10/11/12/13/14 is that it's the lower seeded SEC teams playing the higher finishing Big 10/11/12/13/14 schools. It's never a 5 vs 5, 6 vs 6 etc.

Every now and then we get one of the bowls, can't remember which where the match up is SEC 3 or 4 vs Big10/11/12/13/14 3

;

Quote:Yes.  No question.  And every bowl season we see the results.

Well, since 2004, the SEC is 15-12 vs the Big Ten in Bowl Games. Closer than you'd think.

I'll maintain:

Top of the SEC > Top of Big 10 > Middle of SEC > Middle of Big 10 > Bottom of SEC > Bottom of Big 10.

I'd say each level would be capable of competing against the higher level, but would not be considered favorites. For example:

Michigan St. and Ohio St. would be capable of competing with the top of the SEC, but would not be considered favorites.

Tennessee and Arkansas would be capable of competing with the middle of the Big Ten, but would not be considered favorites.

Quote:Well, since 2004, the SEC is 15-12 vs the Big Ten in Bowl Games. Closer than you'd think.

I'll maintain:

I'd say each level would be capable of competing against the higher level, but would not be considered favorites. For example:

Michigan St. and Ohio St. would be capable of competing with the top of the SEC, but would not be considered favorites.

Tennessee and Arkansas would be capable of competing with the middle of the Big Ten, but would not be considered favorites.

and almost all of those bowls are between an SEC team that finished lower in standings than the Big 10 team

Quote:and almost all of those bowls are between an SEC team that finished lower in standings than the Big 10 team

Can you read my premise?

2013 Big Ten vs SEC Bowl Games (conference record)

Wisconsin (6-2) vs South Carolina (6-2)

Nebraska (5-3) vs Georgia (5-3)

Iowa (5-3) vs LSU (5-3)

Michigan (6-2) vs South Carolina (6-2)

Northwestern (5-3) vs Miss St. (4-4)

Nebraska (7-1) vs Georgia (7-1)

Ohio St. (3-5) vs Florida (3-5)

Nebraska (5-3) vs South Carolina (6-2)

Michigan St. (7-1) vs Georgia (7-1)

The SEC is 6-3 in those games, predictably so. It supports my premise that:

teams like those would absolutely trash teams like michigan and other middle of the road big 10 schools.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:teams like those would absolutely trash teams like michigan and other middle of the road big 10 schools.

like arkansas vs michigan, for example? i just personally think michigan would get killed.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:It is grossly overrated because people say the SEC as a whole is worlds better than all other conferences, but Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucy, Arkansas, TAMU, South Carolina, Florida, and LSU are not even close to the level of Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss, MSU, Alabama, and Auburn. So what's happening is terrible teams are being labeled better than good teams in other conferences. I heard or read Kentucky is decent this season. Why? Because they forced overtime against the Gators, who also suck?

How is South Carolina not close to the level of Georgia again, JW?