Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gerhart Sucks (Merged)

It wouldn't be so bad if he was a pile-mover like Mojo, but he ain't.

Gawd I wish we had Eddie Lacy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't think just Gurley would cure our run game.  Our oline needs serious overhauling.  

Toby is a solid running back when behind a good line, but he's proven he isn't a playmaker.  

Denard Robinson doesn't have a position in the NFL.  I'm sorry, a lot of people love him, but he doesn't have the feet to be a running back in the NFL.  He's a career utility player.

Todman is a little more complete of a running back than Robinson, but he's similar in that he doesn't have the feet to be effective other than as a home run hitter.

Storm Johnson has the most natural feet out of our running backs, and the only one with the style to match the NFL, but he's very indecisive.  It might not seem like an issue now when we're only getting 2 yards per carry anyways, but when the line improves and we should be averaging 4-5 yards per carry, and half of his carries go for a short gain, it'll be a lot more noticeable.

There are a lot of good running backs coming out of the draft next year, I'd focus on building the offensive line and linebackers and snatching one like Duke Johnson a little later on.

Storm and Denard should be the Rbs going forward. I figured slowby wouldnt be a great back but i never imagined he would be so big and play so unsure of himself.

Ive never seen a back hesitate on every single run like that. Its like that first hop step is programmed into his game to the point he does it regardless of what the D is doing.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014, 11:54 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

The post about missing the days of getting 3 yards and a cloud of dust is hilarious !!

Regarding Gurley, he may want to stay in college.  He's probably making more money now and would have to run behind a worse run blocking offensive line if we drafted him.

The original topic:  Slowby Gerhart on pace for 350 yards rushing is like looking at the glass half empty.

I prefer to look at it as "Slowby on pace for 1,400 yards upon the completion of his contract"  --- now that sounds much better .... glass half full.

I thought he'd be a lot better than he is. He actually has some speed once he gets going and gets to the open field but he obviously doesn't have the escapability or explosion you need in a top flight running back. That's why signing a guy who hasn't seen much playing time is a bit of a calculated risk. Sometimes you swing and miss.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:The original topic:  Slowby Gerhart on pace for 350 yards rushing is like looking at the glass half empty.

I prefer to look at it as "Slowby on pace for 1,400 yards upon the completion of his contract"  --- now that sounds much better .... glass half full.

Glass half-full would be "Slowby on pace for 350 yards upon the completion of his contract" >_>

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

OUCH !!  that was actually funny --- 1 year contract.

bump x 100. This is by far the most entertaining thread I've read on here in quite some time. Please keep 'em coming. I was a bit surprised I was the only one lamenting handing the ball off to Slowby yesterday at the game. Everyone else around me seemed to not even know who Slowby was... It was almost like a give up play. You need 2 yards? Give it to Slowby. You need 10 yards? Give it to Slowby, he'll get you 1/5th of the way there.

But FWIW I don't think this horrendous FA signing is entirely on Caldwell. Isn't one of the Polians our director of pro personnel? So, like, they're basically in charge of scouting potential FAs and determining who we should sign? I'm sure Caldwell has final say, but they do most of the leg work. If they said Slowby was a horse, I'm sure Caldwell didn't feel he had any reason to question them.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Slowby is a horse, he just needs to be taken to the glue factory. 

Quote:It is too painful to watch this guy waste a down on his runs. He is absolute garbage and that is with the O line playing a hell of a lot better. Please Gus get this guy off the field. I would like to see more Storm. Also can we get some plays to get DRob in space? Jeesh!

Todd gurley...2015
Solid Snake's man love Geno - On pace to a record for suckage.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I can picture Gene Smith and Mike Mularkey sitting in a bar watching the games, touching cigars every time the Jags make a bad play.

Possibly, but who cares?  Mularkey was horrible too.  It's not like we down graded from Smith and Mularkey...  It's just a matter of how good are the new guys.

There is alot to be desired, that's for sure...  

Quote:Possibly, but who cares?  Mularkey was horrible too.  It's not like we down graded from Smith and Mularkey...  It's just a matter of how good are the new guys.

There is alot to be desired, that's for sure...  

All of that remains to be seen.  

It's not for sure that Gus is an upgrade over anyone.  The same can be said about Caldwell.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Slowby is a horse, he just needs to be taken to the glue factory. 
Ten thousand points for you.

Quote:All of that remains to be seen.  

It's not for sure that Gus is an upgrade over anyone.  The same can be said about Caldwell.

Caldwell is easily an upgrade over Gene Smith.  

Gene traded a future 2nd for a 3rd to draft Derek Cox.  He used a 1st and a 2nd to draft Blaine Gabbert.  And he drafted a Punter in the 3rd round.  

Even if none of the players Caldwell drafted turns out to do anything, he's still an upgrade.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Caldwell is easily an upgrade over Gene Smith.

Gene traded a future 2nd for a 3rd to draft Derek Cox. He used a 1st and a 2nd to draft Blaine Gabbert. And he drafted a Punter in the 3rd round.

Even if none of the players Caldwell drafted turns out to do anything, he's still an upgrade.
After Genes first draft, most people thought he did great. He got starters and players that made real contributions.

Our 2013 draft class doesn't look very good right now.

One thing I will admit is that I like Caldwell making an effort to accumulate more picks. I think that's important.

Overall though, we can't just assert that Caldwell will do better than Gene.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Its almost like he knows everyone thinks of him as a power back and he wants to prove he is more by dancing around and hesitating. Just like running QBs who try to be something they are not and avoid taking off and running to prove they can be a pocket passers. Just be who you are and slam into people and hopefully be another one year wonder Peyton Hillis. Our oline cant run block and our RB is slower than our guards lol. Going to be a long year

Quote:After Genes first draft, most people thought he did great. He got starters and players that made real contributions.

Our 2013 draft class doesn't look very good right now.

One thing I will admit is that I like Caldwell making an effort to accumulate more picks. I think that's important.

Overall though, we can't just assert that Caldwell will do better than Gene.

As long as he doesn't pick a punter in the 3rd round Caldwell will forever be better than Gene.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Remember people on here were saying what a great signee, and trashing MJD.  This guy will never come close to MJD in his prime.
MJD will never come close to MJD in his prime again either.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol