Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mercedes Lewis says "I don't believe anyone can cover me"

Gawd I can't wait until the regular season gets here so all these armchair GMs, QBs, coaches, and TEs shut up.

Wait, it only gets worse. Never mind!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The best kind of humor has at least some grounding in fact. 

And you don't think a good portion of why that might be the case is because the team relied so heavily on the running game, forcing him to be more of a blocker than a receiver?  This is a guy who came into the league as one of the top pass catching TEs in the country.  It's not like he was incapable of making plays when he entered the NFL.  What the team did as far as utilizing him had as much to do with his lack of production as anything else.  He didn't help things with the drops he's had over the years, but hopefully with a renewed focus this year, and a few less distractions, he'll overcome that this season.  I see nothing wrong with him showing confidence. 

I agree, it's why my humor is so excellent. Marcedes really is a bad pass catching TE.

No need to make excuses for him, great players rise above what's around them, and Marcedes has never done that. He's just a bottom of the roster kind of TE on any other team in the league. If the Jaguars released him today he'd eventually get picked up, but he'd be a package player at best.

He runs like he's on stilts and catches like he's wearing boxing gloves.

Quote:I agree, it's why my humor is so excellent. Marcedes really is a bad pass catching TE.

No need to make excuses for him, great players rise above what's around them, and Marcedes has never done that. He's just a bottom of the roster kind of TE on any other team in the league. If the Jaguars released him today he'd eventually get picked up, but he'd be a package player at best.

He runs like he's on stilts and catches like he's wearing boxing gloves.

I love how pointing out the reality of the situation is always called excuses by some folks on this board...until they do the very same thing at some point.  Then it's okay to point out the situation for what it is. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Gawd I can't wait until the regular season gets here so all these armchair GMs, QBs, coaches, and TEs shut up.

Wait, it only gets worse. Never mind!
Exactly.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I love how pointing out the reality of the situation is always called excuses by some folks on this board...until they do the very same thing at some point.  Then it's okay to point out the situation for what it is. 

Eight seasons into his career there are still people on the board that don't accept that he just is what he is, a guy who is limited in his ability to impact a game.

He's not a pass catching TE and hopefully they use him more in the red zone.  That's where he can excel in my opininion.

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:Not only is he good at blocking LBs; he also excels at blocking the football.

Beat me to it!

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I don't get the hate. Who among us would turn down money just because we haven't yet proven we are worth it?

I like Marcades, but will be the first to admit that, yes, he is very hard to cover. That's never been his problem, which has been not catching the ball in a few specific memorable situations.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I think people would be pretty surprised by the TEs that have a higher drop rate than Lewis.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I don't get the hate. Who among us would turn down money just because we haven't yet proven we are worth it?

I like Marcades, but will be the first to admit that, yes, he is very hard to cover. That's never been his problem, which has been not catching the ball in a few specific memorable situations.
Exactly. 

It's not like he set the price point in his contract. 

Quote:Eight seasons into his career there are still people on the board that don't accept that he just is what he is, a guy who is limited in his ability to impact a game.

Who is saying otherwise? 

It's people like you who are driving a narrative that he's terrible, and he really isn't.  He's pretty much an average TE in the league who excels at blocking and is a marginal impact player in the passing game.  He'll make the occasional play, and he'll have the occasional drop.  I don't see anyone here trying to portray him as anything beyond that.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highl...-reception

... ahem... just gonna leave that there.

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highl...-reception

... ahem... just gonna leave that there.

I'll raise you another first round bust isolated incident.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-...s-TD-catch

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014, 02:04 PM by Joe.)

Quote:I'll raise you another first round bust isolated incident.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-...s-TD-catch
If you think Reggie Williams had the same amount of impact to this offense as Marcedes, you're nuts.

I didn't mean to seem like I was pulling punches for Marcedes. He needs to step up, possibly more than anyone on this team not playing QB. With that being said, I do believe he still has it in him, and can eventually return to his Pro-Bowl form, and that his flaws get blown out of the water. There are other players on the Jaguars that I think are WAY more overpaid, with less of an impact, than Marcedes Lewis.

Quote:If you think Reggie Williams had the same amount of impact to this offense as Marcedes, you're nuts.

I didn't mean to seem like I was pulling punches for Marcedes. He needs to step up, possibly more than anyone on this team not playing QB. With that being said, I do believe he still has it in him, and can eventually return to his Pro-Bowl form, and that his flaws get blown out of the water. There are other players on the Jaguars that I think are WAY more overpaid, with less of an impact, than Marcedes Lewis.

From a completely impartial standpoint Marcedes impact is rather similar to Reggie Williams.

They both have very poor numbers, they both were mostly noted for their "blocking" ability, and now they both have a video in this thread showing some of their best (and most unrepresentative) play.

Quote:If you think Reggie Williams had the same amount of impact to this offense as Marcedes, you're nuts.

I didn't mean to seem like I was pulling punches for Marcedes. He needs to step up, possibly more than anyone on this team not playing QB. With that being said, I do believe he still has it in him, and can eventually return to his Pro-Bowl form, and that his flaws get blown out of the water. There are other players on the Jaguars that I think are WAY more overpaid, with less of an impact, than Marcedes Lewis.
People like to point to his drops, but he is middle of the pack in that statistic. There are plenty of 'better' tight ends with worse drop percentages. I think this gets blown out of proportion because of one GLARING play.

Is he overpaid? Probably. Is that his fault?

I'm sure everyone complaining about it would have turned down the money if it was offered.

Quote:From a completely impartial standpoint Marcedes impact is rather similar to Reggie Williams.

They both have very poor numbers, they both were mostly noted for their "blocking" ability, and now they both have a video in this thread showing some of their best (and most unrepresentative) play.
So a blocking TE is the same as a blocking WR?

Ummmmmm......no.

Let the man get hyped and have an ego going into the season. That's exactly what our players need to do. Tired of seeing scared, no energy, or fire in the players like all these other teams have.

Quote:From a completely impartial standpoint Marcedes impact is rather similar to Reggie Williams.

Wow dude, you do know blocking is half of a TEs job right? Especially if that TEs plays for the Jaguars.

No one cares if a WR can block.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM by Oklahomie.)

Quote:Wow dude, you do know blocking is half of a TEs job right? Especially if that TEs plays for the Jaguars.

No one cares if a WR can block.

In the modern NFL a tight end's ability to block is secondary to his ability to make plays as a receiver if you want to win games.

When the best you can say about anyone who isn't playing O-line is "they block well" then you're talking about a position that needs upgrading.