Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I am So Tired of these Articles!

Quote:The article dismisses the facts that the team is actually picking up $1.8 million, and the remaining money is being used from savings they've had with the bigger construction project.

Since this is a league mandate to upgrade the wifi in NFL stadiums, I wonder how many teams are doing exactly what the Jaguars are here, especially with multipurpose, publicly owned facilities like EverBank?  Why is this news because it's the Jaguars?

According to this article, the part in bold in your quoted comment isn't entirely true.  The tax payers (myself included) are in fact paying part of the tab (something that I agree with).  According to the article, a portion is being paid by the City of Jacksonville, a portion is being paid by The Jaguars and the remaining cost is being paid for by savings on the current construction project.

Either way, it really doesn't matter.  As a resident of Jacksonville, I have no problem using city funds to pay for upgrades to a city owned facility, especially when that facility makes money that is put back into the city treasury.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:According to this article, the part in bold in your quoted comment isn't entirely true.  The tax payers (myself included) are in fact paying part of the tab (something that I agree with).  According to the article, a portion is being paid by the City of Jacksonville, a portion is being paid by The Jaguars and the remaining cost is being paid for by savings on the current construction project.

Either way, it really doesn't matter.  As a resident of Jacksonville, I have no problem using city funds to pay for upgrades to a city owned facility, especially when that facility makes money that is put back into the city treasury.

The money being allocated to this is coming from the same pool that is used for stadium maintenance (the same pool that's funding the $43 million in upgrades underway).  That's all funded by bed taxes from local hotels. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The money being allocated to this is coming from the same pool that is used for stadium maintenance (the same pool that's funding the $43 million in upgrades underway).  That's all funded by bed taxes from local hotels. 
I'll take your word for it.  However, one thing that bothers me about the "pool of money" is that according to the article that I referenced above, the city is borrowing money.  While I understand the concept of borrowing money with the expectation that revenue will pay the loan and the interest, I suspect that part of this loan is not solely based on revenue from a bed tax and is probably partially guaranteed by revenue from other taxes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose spending some of my tax dollars on stadium upgrades.  However, I think it's a bit mis-leading to state that this is coming from solely a bed tax coming from hotels.  Let's face it, Jacksonville is in no way a major tourist destination, nor do we host any major trade shows, conferences, etc.  Our hotels do not generate the revenue necessary to pay the loan.

Those of us that pay property taxes, those of us that pay sales taxes, etc.  we are all "chipping in" to the effort.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I'll take your word for it.  However, one thing that bothers me about the "pool of money" is that according to the article that I referenced above, the city is borrowing money.  While I understand the concept of borrowing money with the expectation that revenue will pay the loan and the interest, I suspect that part of this loan is not solely based on revenue from a bed tax and is probably partially guaranteed by revenue from other taxes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose spending some of my tax dollars on stadium upgrades.  However, I think it's a bit mis-leading to state that this is coming from solely a bed tax coming from hotels.  Let's face it, Jacksonville is in no way a major tourist destination, nor do we host any major trade shows, conferences, etc.  Our hotels do not generate the revenue necessary to pay the loan.

Those of us that pay property taxes, those of us that pay sales taxes, etc.  we are all "chipping in" to the effort.
All maintenance money for the stadium, baseball grounds, and the arena comes out of the same pool generated by the bed tax.  When people complain that this money would be better spent on school or roads, it has to be pointed out that this money is raised for the specific purpose of maintaining the sports facilities, and can't be used for anything else.  You don't have to take my word for it.  The city passed the bed tax years ago specifically for this. 

Jacksonville doesn't have to be a major tourist destination to raise significant funds through the bed tax.  There's a reason so many hotels have popped up around town over the past decade or so.  Whether it's people here on corporate trips, or military members here for training, there are a thousand different reasons why these hotels are being built, and why they're doing enough business to avoid closure. 

None of your property taxes, sales taxes, or gas taxes are being chipped in for stadium maintenance and upgrades. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:All maintenance money for the stadium, baseball grounds, and the arena comes out of the same pool generated by the bed tax.  When people complain that this money would be better spent on school or roads, it has to be pointed out that this money is raised for the specific purpose of maintaining the sports facilities, and can't be used for anything else.  You don't have to take my word for it.  The city passed the bed tax years ago specifically for this. 

Jacksonville doesn't have to be a major tourist destination to raise significant funds through the bed tax.  There's a reason so many hotels have popped up around town over the past decade or so.  Whether it's people here on corporate trips, or military members here for training, there are a thousand different reasons why these hotels are being built, and why they're doing enough business to avoid closure. 

None of your property taxes, sales taxes, or gas taxes are being chipped in for stadium maintenance and upgrades. 

Once again, I'll take your word for it.  I just might do some research on this if I get REALLY bored and don't have much else to do.  You're pretty much always "up to speed" when it comes to city issues, so I in no way doubt what you are saying.

Being a person that travels a lot for my job, I still don't see a huge amount of revenue coming from a bed tax in Jacksonville.  Corporate travel probably makes up a very small amount.  We don't hold any major conventions or anything like that.  Military members aren't going to be spending a whole bunch on a "bed tax" either, especially if they stay on base at NAS Jax (no tax).

Again, I'm just going by experience and what I know.

Quote:Once again, I'll take your word for it.  I just might do some research on this if I get REALLY bored and don't have much else to do.  You're pretty much always "up to speed" when it comes to city issues, so I in no way doubt what you are saying.

Being a person that travels a lot for my job, I still don't see a huge amount of revenue coming from a bed tax in Jacksonville.  Corporate travel probably makes up a very small amount.  We don't hold any major conventions or anything like that.  Military members aren't going to be spending a whole bunch on a "bed tax" either, especially if they stay on base at NAS Jax (no tax).

He is correct. Those funds come from the bed tax. That was enacted years ago, and there is more income from it than you might think. It's one of the things I love about Florida. We get tax money from tourism which saves from paying personal income tax to the state.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Once again, I'll take your word for it.  I just might do some research on this if I get REALLY bored and don't have much else to do.  You're pretty much always "up to speed" when it comes to city issues, so I in no way doubt what you are saying.

I think you would be surprised how many hotels are bought on a regular basis in Jacksonville. When away teams come in town they need places to stay, corporate travel, military travel either for families of TDY training, vacations, political campaigns, people passing through etc... It sounds like you travel regularly so just think for a second that maybe the other people staying in those other rooms in that hotel are not from the city you are residing in for that time.  

Quote:Once again, I'll take your word for it. I just might do some research on this if I get REALLY bored and don't have much else to do. You're pretty much always "up to speed" when it comes to city issues, so I in no way doubt what you are saying.

Being a person that travels a lot for my job, I still don't see a huge amount of revenue coming from a bed tax in Jacksonville. Corporate travel probably makes up a very small amount. We don't hold any major conventions or anything like that. Military members aren't going to be spending a whole bunch on a "bed tax" either, especially if they stay on base at NAS Jax (no tax).

I think you are underestimating the amount of hotel nights spent in Jacksonville.

Quote:Read the comments. Has the world got this many fools???

yes

I don't live in Jax so maybe I'm not the best person to comment but I feel that the City should chip in towards the team.

If the team is successful and gets lots of people going to the games, Superbowls and concerts than the City will make money so why shouldn't it help the build?

Quote:I don't live in Jax so maybe I'm not the best person to comment but I feel that the City should chip in towards the team.

If the team is successful and gets lots of people going to the games, Superbowls and concerts than the City will make money so why shouldn't it help the build?

it's pretty typical of this country in general.  if anything says "tax dollars spent on..." people will immediately lose their mind.  I guess public scrutiny is ok, but at some point people need to get a grip.

Quote:He is correct. Those funds come from the bed tax. That was enacted years ago, and there is more income from it than you might think. It's one of the things I love about Florida. We get tax money from tourism which saves from paying personal income tax to the state.
Exactly, and it's a lot more than people think.  Every hotel room that's booked in Duval County pays that tax, and it's a significant amount of money that's considered adequate enough revenue for the city to be able to go out and get a $45 million bond to pay for upgrades at the stadium.  If the revenue wasn't there, this city council wouldn't approve it. 

Quote:I don't live in Jax so maybe I'm not the best person to comment but I feel that the City should chip in towards the team.

Excellent question, but there are still those in this city who don't get it.  They see expenditures like this going to an NFL team, and they think with all the big dollar amounts thrown around with contracts and other stuff in the NFL, that the teams should pay for all this stuff themselves.  They have no clue what the economic benefit is for the city, especially when the renovations that are happening now will allow the city to garner even more revenue from the stadium by hosting additional events beyond the NFL or college football. 

Quote:Excellent question, but there are still those in this city who don't get it. They see expenditures like this going to an NFL team, and they think with all the big dollar amounts thrown around with contracts and other stuff in the NFL, that the teams should pay for all this stuff themselves. They have no clue what the economic benefit is for the city, especially when the renovations that are happening now will allow the city to garner even more revenue from the stadium by hosting additional events beyond the NFL or college football.
That's a lie.

I know because I read the comments section of the TU.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I've stated this before, but I'll do so again with the risk of coming across as redundant but... Stadiums are one of the very few items that a city "maintains" that can actually generate revenue for the city.

While roads and schools and libraries are important and necessary, they are a drain on the city's money. Stadiums can actually add to their revenue. Why wouldn't you want a money making entity to be as strong as possible?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I've stated this before, but I'll do so again with the risk of coming across as redundant but... Stadiums are one of the very few items that a city "maintains" that can actually generate revenue for the city.

While roads and schools and libraries are important and necessary, they are a drain on the city's money. Stadiums can actually add to their revenue. Why wouldn't you want a money making entity to be as strong as possible?

I think the folks in charge recognize this.  It's the yokels who post comments on the TU and other websites who are oblivious.

Quote:That's a lie.

I know because I read the comments section of the TU.

Well, that's certainly a credible source for information. 

Quote:I've stated this before, but I'll do so again with the risk of coming across as redundant but... Stadiums are one of the very few items that a city "maintains" that can actually generate revenue for the city.

Because we need to spend more on SCHOOLS... and schools and you know, like schools and stuff

Quote:Because we need to spend more on SCHOOLS... and schools and you know, like schools and stuff

Yup.  Despite the fact that we spend more on schools every year, there's always more money we should throw away.

Is Fernandina a part of Duval county? If so, I'm sure the omni plantation at Amelia island brings in alot of revenue via the bed tax. My family and I visited Amelia island in early May, and the entire plantation was packed.

My point is that there are probably alot more visitors to the Jacksonville area than one might think.