Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Henne – Just the facts

Quote:I think I can go out there after Gabbert and make the Jags offense look better than he did.

And now starting for your Jacksonville Jaguars, Mark Ulous????????????????

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Henne is not average.

Henne isn't the worst in the league, but he's not average.

He's well below average.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls, step right up and get your tickets. We are going to take one thoroughly dead horse and we are gonna beat it until it is 100% liquefied.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls, step right up and get your tickets. We are going to take one thoroughly dead horse and we are gonna beat it until it is 100% liquefied.

Hey, it's the off season. There will be a whole lot of dead horse beating until at least the preseason and then into the regular season when there will be fresh new horses to beat, err I mean ride.

Quote:Maybe I'm miss remembering this... But didn't Chad only start 8 games last year?

Didn't he go 4-4 in that stretch?

I don't know about anyone's definition of average is, but I'd say that's average

Do you really want to go down that slippery slope?

Quote:He had some decent stretches last year.  I'll agree 100% that his TD/INT ratio stinks which contributes to his overall QB ranting but this is only the second time in his career the guy's had a second consecutive year in the same offense.  He also played with a very patchwork line last year.  Look, everybody knows he's not our long term answer at the position but he's hardly a terrible player.  Would you rather have Gabbert?

His TD/INT ratio defines who he is regardless of his inability to maintain an consecutive coaching staff.. i.e. BG...

At times he'll get you in position to win a game only to lose a game by throwing to the opposing team(s)...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Average at best gives the guy way too much credit. When I see him post an 89 passer rating for a season (which is what would have been 16th in the league last year among starters) I'll say he's average at best. Right now I've never seen anything to indicate he's close to that good. He's bottom tier, and even though it may hurt to have to look forward to that, that's exactly what we have to look forward to.

"Average at best" is not maintaining "average" year-round. Otherwise, he would just be "average". 

Average at best implies that he's always under average, and he occasionally hits the average mark. Henne isn't a good QB, but if you're saying he wasn't average at least one time last year, you didn't watch him play. 

Quote:His TD/INT ratio defines who he is regardless of his inability to maintain an consecutive coaching staff.. i.e. BG...

At times he'll get you in position to win a game only to lose a game by throwing to the opposing team(s)...

NH3...

Having to re-learn a new offense absolutely has an impact on a QB's performance.  On the other hand, individually, INTs don't define a player.  There have been much better players than Henne with higher interception ratios.  To judge a QB you have to look at his whole game.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls, step right up and get your tickets. We are going to take one thoroughly dead horse and we are gonna beat it until it is 100% liquefied.

Nothing else to do except talk about what we can talk about.  Henne vs Bortles is the most talked about subject right now.  

the truth about Chad; i watched him since he was a freshman at Michigan. he is a gamer for sure and isn't afraid to put the ball in play. he will never be in the same category with players like Manning and Brady, but if he has a good cast (especially receivers who will go get the ball) he can take you places. i remember a big gripe around here was garrard not taking chances with the ball. that's not henne's deal. he will give them a chance to make play. his fault is his ceiling does not allow his play to supersede a bad defense. our defense will almost certainly need to be first rate. if so, we will turn a lot of heads this season.

Quote:the truth about Chad; i watched him since he was a freshman at Michigan. he is a gamer for sure and isn't afraid to put the ball in play. he will never be in the same category with players like Manning and Brady, but if he has a good cast (especially receivers who will go get the ball) he can take you places. i remember a big gripe around here was garrard not taking chances with the ball. that's not henne's deal. he will give them a chance to make play. his fault is his ceiling does not allow his play to supersede a bad defense. our defense will almost certainly need to be first rate. if so, we will turn a lot of heads this season.

Garrard had something that Henne does not.  Garrard could move around in the pocket and had wheels if he needed to run.  Garrard was an average QB who was helped out by having good legs.

The funny thing is that we haven't had "average" QB play since Garrard's season that got him that extension.  It's been so long that people forget what "average" looks like.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 10:19 AM by Oklahomie.)

Quote:"Average at best" is not maintaining "average" year-round. Otherwise, he would just be "average". 

Average at best implies that he's always under average, and he occasionally hits the average mark. Henne isn't a good QB, but if you're saying he wasn't average at least one time last year, you didn't watch him play. 

I already addressed that for someone else. It's an idiotic way to describe a guy. He's bad.

Did you call Gabbert "good at best" because he actually played well for a few plays once in 2012? Of course not, Gabbert was a bad QB, just like Henne is. It's too gracious to call either Henne or Gabbert anything but what they are, which is bottom rung QBs no team should ever want starting.

That wouldn't stop the children from all their whining about Henne.  Hasn't yet.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Garrard had something that Henne does not.  Garrard could move around in the pocket and had wheels if he needed to run.  Garrard was an average QB who was helped out by having good legs.

The funny thing is that we haven't had "average" QB play since Garrard's season that got him that extension.  It's been so long that people forget what "average" looks like.

Henne had the best season for a Jag QB since Garrard in 09.  Which, wasn't even an entire season for Henne.  He's more than capable of producing "average" play with a full season in his second year in the system, with actual receivers to throw to.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Garrard had something that Henne does not. Garrard could move around in the pocket and had wheels if he needed to run. Garrard was an average QB who was helped out by having good legs.

The funny thing is that we haven't had "average" QB play since Garrard's season that got him that extension. It's been so long that people forget what "average" looks like.
maybe i miscommunicated my point. i think garrard would have been a better qb if he had taken more chances. alas, his supporting cast of receivers left something to be desired and perhaps this is why he didn't. henne has by extension had a worse set of receivers to work with (sans blackmon) and still had the balls to put the ball in play. again, this isn't an indictment of Garrard, simply a contrasting of styles. most ppl here reference henne as it pertains to his nfl career (and correctly so) but may not be aware that he can look and play better with a better cast.

Quote:maybe i miscommunicated my point. i think garrard would have been a better qb if he had taken more chances. alas, his supporting cast of receivers left something to be desired and perhaps this is why he didn't. henne has by extension had a worse set of receivers to work with (sans blackmon) and still had the balls to put the ball in play. again, this isn't an indictment of Garrard, simply a contrasting of styles. most ppl here reference henne as it pertains to his nfl career (and correctly so) but may not be aware that he can look and play better with a better cast.

Yes, Henne can look and play better at times. I have seen stretches where Henne actually looked like a Pro Bowl caliber starting QB (Yes our Henne). The problem is that these stretches are very few and far between and just don't last very long. In other words, for very short stretches Henne has looked really really good. A few times the hot stretch will end in a TD, but most of the time it will end with Henne resorting back to below avg Henne and end with either an INT, a ball that misses the rec by 5 or more yards, or a sack.

I consider the Jags lucky if it ends up with them getting a FG try out of it, b/c odds are Scobee will make it.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm excited to see what Henne can do with this year's team. Hopefully the O-line and receivers are upgraded. If so, I think Henne will do just fine.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Yes, Henne can look and play better at times. I have seen stretches where Henne actually looked like a Pro Bowl caliber starting QB (Yes our Henne). The problem is that these stretches are very few and far between and just don't last very long. In other words, for very short stretches Henne has looked really really good. A few times the hot stretch will end in a TD, but most of the time it will end with Henne resorting back to below avg Henne and end with either an INT, a ball that misses the rec by 5 or more yards, or a sack.

I consider the Jags lucky if it ends up with them getting a FG try out of it, b/c odds are Scobee will make it.

again, I'm not claiming he is a pro bowl qb. I'm simply pointing out his best supporting cast was at Michigan where incidently his best playing days happened.

Garrard was a truly average QB and I'll take any season of his over Henne's 2013 campaign every day of the week.

Henne hasn't even shown the ability to play average. He's been below that his whole career. But, I believe he can do it, he's just never shown that level of play.

Quote:I don't care what anyone says. I'm excited to see what Henne can do with this year's team. Hopefully the O-line and receivers are upgraded. If so, I think Henne will do just fine.

When you say "Henne will do just fine"

What do you mean by "just fine"?

Remember, there are a lot of rookies and 1st yr Jags out there.