Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The FS position..

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM by anon79565.)

People always get a bit overly hopeful with UDFAs

Case in point: #FreeMattScott

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think people are a little too high on a Drafted QB that played against lesser competition his senior year....

I guess we'll have to wait a whole year and let him get some rust on his shoulder before we expect greatness from him.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Guy has gotten props from his head coach and coordinator.  That's a good sign regardless of what type of practice it might be. Hopefully that translates into good things when the pads go on.  We'll just have to wait and see. 
The waterboy has gotten props from Bradley.. he compliments the grass when it grows well... Hopefully the team stays hydrated this season. Only time will tell.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:The waterboy has gotten props from Bradley.. he compliments the grass when it grows well... Hopefully the team stays hydrated this season. Only time will tell.

Nice attempt, but not really factual.  There have been specific players Gus has called out.  It's not as widespread as you're trying to imply. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I think people are a little too high on a Drafted QB that played against lesser competition his senior year....

I guess we'll have to wait a whole year and let him get some rust on his shoulder before we expect greatness from him.

Maybe we should cut him and just go with Morris/Stanzi/Henne....

Quote:I think people are a little too high on a Drafted QB that played against lesser competition his senior year....

what crawled up your butt? He actually played some pretty tough teams his senior year and played them really well.

Quote:what crawled up your butt? He actually played some pretty tough teams his senior year and played them really well.

He actually played better against tougher competition.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:He actually played better against tougher competition.
exactly. That's what I like most about the kid. He responds tough.

Quote:True, but I think because of how great he was at Free Safety if I was Dave I would at least interview him.
Key word: "was". Reed's been done for two years now. It just took him a year to figure it out. Not worth the time of day, let alone a roster spot, at this point. His attitude after landing in Houston suggests that he won't even have value in a mentor/backup role.

Quote:Weren't a lot of people high on that Loston kid from LSU? How's he progressing?
He's an undrafted rookie with good size and really questionable speed. Not a free safety candidate.

Colvin is a corner. That's what he was drafted to do. Is it possible that he could wind up at safety if he never fully regains his speed? Sure, anything's possible, but I'd consider it more likely that Alan Ball or Will Blackmon end up at safety in 2015 than Colvin if someone gets moved.

David4499 only associates good players with big names. He also seems to be a colts fan.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

If we are looking in next years draft as an Alabama fan and someone who loves the safety position its all about Landon Collins.  also if you didnt see the under armor game where he announced his moms reaction is good.( he was from Louisiana)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...1936,d.cWc

Winston Guy. He may be aggressive but I think the toughness he brings. A second year in the system will surely help his cause if he stays healthy.

A veteran pickup wouldn't hurt after the first or second roster cuts.

Great topic.  It is great to have an open discussion about a football topic. 

As far as Ed Reed goes, well lets just say that boat has sailed on.  Lets find the next player who brings the type of skills to the table that Ed possessed. 

For the type of system that that Gus runs, the FS position is probably the weakest spot on the roster.  If we play a single high safety, you need a very fast player who is quick to diagnose plays.  Will the team bring in any veteran help after roster cuts?  I handicap that at about 50%.  IMO Cyprien, Guy and Loston would fit best as SS in our system.  I would not be shocked to see Colvin get a shot at the FS position in 2015 if either Demetrius McCray or Jeremy Harris emerge as a viable CB asset in 2014.  As someone mentioned earlier Will Blackmon could also be thrown into the mix at the FS position if the need emerges.

Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

I still don't know why we didn't make a play for Jairus Byrd.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:I still don't know why we didn't make a play for Jairus Byrd.
Because he pretty much signed with the Saints immediately after Free Agency started.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Winston Guy is the starting FS and has apparently looked good in camp..

OTA's.  No pads.  It's still going to be interesting to see what kind of competition comes about at the position once the pads go on and preseason rolls around.

Why wouldn't you be high about the QB who NFL teams had tabbed as the only franchise QB in this draft?  And I don't think Baylor, South Carolina, and Louisville count as "lesser competition".

Quote:The waterboy has gotten props from Bradley.. he compliments the grass when it grows well... Hopefully the team stays hydrated this season. Only time will tell.

You're right, time will tell.  But I don't think Bortles is the waterboy.  I'm pretty sure the training staff does that nowadays.  

And isn't consistent improvement what we would want to see from Bortles?  You're bashing the player for getting props from the head coach on his improvements and his ability to learn the playbook.  Seems like you're bashing him for the good things.

Quote:Winston Guy. He may be aggressive but I think the toughness he brings. A second year in the system will surely help his cause if he stays healthy.

A veteran pickup wouldn't hurt after the first or second roster cuts.

Guy appears to have the early lead, and the team really likes his play.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Thankfully Derron Smith and Karl Joseph will be in the upcoming draft. Will be interesting to see who they take. Smith is the more experienced player but Joseph has more upside and hits harder.

For the FS position I basically want our Earl Thomas; a 5'10''-5'11'' 200 pound FS that runs a 4.4 speed that hits hard and is good in single high coverage. Karl Joseph probably matches that description best.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

it's not going to happen but Brandon flowers would probably make a nice fit at free safety in this system.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."