Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NASCAR track wants to host a Jaguars preseason game

This is a better article I think, with more details such as:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/110652...api_public

"We've got a little bit of runway in front of us because the property won't be done until January 2016, so plenty of time to work through this," Chitwood said. "But I truly believe we're going to be adding events to the property."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 05:39 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

I'm sure they're weighing the potential loss of season ticket holders versus those they may gain by having a game somewhere else.

It easier to lose the ticket holders since they're out another home game. I can't imagine that they believe they can get away with losing yet another home game without consequence. They'll be smart to wait this one out until the London games are finished.

Quote:This is a better article I think, with more details such as:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/110652...api_public

"We've got a little bit of runway in front of us because the property won't be done until January 2016, so plenty of time to work through this," Chitwood said. "But I truly believe we're going to be adding events to the property."

Anyone who has been anywhere around the track recently knows it's a massive construction zone.  There's a lot of work that has to be completed, including building a stadium specifically for football.  They're in the middle of a huge upgrade to the grandstands, including demo of the Lund towers on the back speedway.  This timeline makes sense, and unless we extend with London, it works. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I didn't bother reading the whole thread, but how is this supposed to work?  I've been to races in Daytona, and the track/area is way too big for a game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:This timeline makes sense, and unless we extend with London, it works. 

Not to derail the thread but I see a Daytona committment in 2017 as a perfect way to get out of any talks for extending the London games.  I don't know if I see the value in having more games there until at least 2020+ (for the Jaguars).

Quote:Not to derail the thread but I see a Daytona committment in 2017 as a perfect way to get out of any talks for extending the London games.  I don't know if I see the value in having more games there until at least 2020+ (for the Jaguars).

Considering the amount of money they're reportedly making off the London games, I fully expect to see that arrangement continued beyond the initial 4 year deal.  The Jaguars have invested in infrastructure in London to support these games.  The investment paid off better than expected from their perspective.  They're not going to walk away from that money and play a preseason game in Daytona in exchange. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I didn't bother reading the whole thread, but how is this supposed to work?  I've been to races in Daytona, and the track/area is way too big for a game.

They're building basically a stadium inside the infield at the track.  The renovations taking place now include adding more bleachers to the north side of the track, and then removing the Lund tower all together on the south side of the track.  They can put the football field close enough to the bleachers to make it work.  They actually intend to make it a facility that can host football, soccer, and rugby matches there.  The goal of the entire renovation process is to actually make it look like a modern NFL stadium from the outside. 

Quote:They're building basically a stadium inside the infield at the track. The renovations taking place now include adding more bleachers to the north side of the track, and then removing the Lund tower all together on the south side of the track. They can put the football field close enough to the bleachers to make it work. They actually intend to make it a facility that can host football, soccer, and rugby matches there. The goal of the entire renovation process is to actually make it look like a modern NFL stadium from the outside.
pretty cool idea.

I like it.

It's a novelty idea that will expose the team to a broader attendance base in central Florida yet still be in Jacksonville's back yard.

Plus it is pretty much guaranteed to be nationally televised and any exposure is good exposure when you are a small market team.

It's preseason. Those games are second rate anyhow, as is Daytona. Seems like a good match to me.

Will all the plays only be allowed to go left?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I like it.

It's a novelty idea that will expose the team to a broader attendance base in central Florida yet still be in Jacksonville's back yard.

Plus it is pretty much guaranteed to be nationally televised and any exposure is good exposure when you are a small market team.
I agree.  I couldn't care less about a preseason game.  I know a lot of people on here do, but I usually give my preseason tickets to friends anyways.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Preseason I usually go to one of the home games anyway, with this I would just make a weekend trip out of it. Not a bad idea, the more exposure the better.

Quote:It's preseason. Those games are second rate anyhow, as is DAKOTA Seems like a good match to me.

Hey, don't sell yourself short, Dakota.  You are twice 2nd Rate!!!  That equals first rate, my friend!!!!!

By the way, that hole corridor on I-4 is ridiculous!

Also, who cares?  When I lived in Fernandina, I went to pre-season games, and the place was empty for the most part.  If Daytona wants to host a pre-season game, it's not a big deal...  I don't think...  Except maybe for the season ticket holders that don't want to make the additional road trip.  

But who cares?  It's a pre-season game. I'm not sure how Daytona is such a big draw?  Has MTV decided to push spring break up a few months?

Maybe I should actually read the OP...  But that seems like alot of work for Daytona...  Last I remember, you blink and drive right past it to get to either the Gulf Coast or South Beach...  

But that's just an outsider's perspective...

I just read an article about NASCAR courting the Jaguars to get a game moved to the Daytona Speedway infield.  Please don't do that.  I bought my season tickets because I enjoy going to the games.  If we keep losing them I think I'd have to find another interest to fill my Sunday afternoons in the fall.

I've been to a few Jags games and know there are a bunch of rednecks at every game.  Just include a 12 pack with every ticket and the jags could have a sellout preseason game in Daytona.  It would suck for season ticket owners.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Preseason pretty much sucks, anyway. Hot as hades and nothing really to watch for, except for rookies battling for roster spots. And who wants to be there if a starter goes down to injury? Let Daytona have a preseason game next year...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:It's preseason. Those games are second rate anyhow, as is Daytona. Seems like a good match to me.

Besides, what is so bad about making a day trip to Daytona Beach in the middle of the summer? It might give a bunch of season ticket holders a reason to actually go to a preseason game.

Khan is attempting to take over the market in Florida by demonstrating his product in different places.

If he's successful, you won't ever have to worry about the Jaguars moving again or hearing about the lack of a fan base.

If I lived in Jacksonville, I could deal with this in the short term. I doubt the Jaguars will be giving up home games every year.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

On one hand, its only 1.5 hours away. If you have a season ticket and they have something in place that means you can still use it in Daytona, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal to get to there. This isn't the same as losing a game to London.

On the other hand Daytona is only 1.5 hours away. If you're from Daytona and you're not a Jags fan, its either because you dont care about the NFL or you support someone else. Is a preseason game going to change that? I doubt it.

If they do it, its probably little more than a gimmick.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:I've been to a few Jags games and know there are a bunch of rednecks at every game.  Just include a 12 pack with every ticket and the jags could have a sellout preseason game in Daytona.  It would suck for season ticket owners.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected about you.