Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Something Missing?

Quote:Yep. To paraphrase FBT's response - guarded optimism.

Bingo.

There's a lot to be excited about this year.  Still, they need to prove it on the field.  We've felt similar enthusiasm in the past only to be let down. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The calm before the storm?

The "We're going to the Super Bowl" storm

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I think people have low expectations for this year, but know the future is bright and they are doing it the right way. Expecting us to contend in 2014 will only lead to a letdown.

Quote:It is a more boring board, yes.

I think we should clean house, get rid of all admins and mods.  Hire Gene Smith for board GM and let him build a dyNASTY.

Quote:I think people have low expectations for this year, but know the future is bright and they are doing it the right way. Expecting us to contend in 2014 will only lead to a letdown.

I don't know if I'd say they were low expectations.  Realistic?  Yes.  But, most expect the team to show continued improvement. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

When you look at the Gene vs Dave signs...

Highest paid under Gene is the top two M. Lewis & Poz http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=J...&Year=2014

over a 4 mil difference to the highest paid under dave Zane and then Chad Henne, Bryant, Clemons, etc

If you compared the drafting, salaries, free agency moves to me it seems as if Dave Caldwell is a 100 times better GM than Gene Smith, but it is too early to tell...

Quote:When you look at the Gene vs Dave signs...

Highest paid under Gene is the top two M. Lewis & Poz http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=J...&Year=2014

over a 4 mil difference to the highest paid under dave Zane and then Chad Henne, Bryant, Clemons, etc

If you compared the drafting, salaries, free agency moves to me it seems as if Dave Caldwell is a 100 times better GM than Gene Smith, but it is too early to tell...

That completely ignores the fact that there's a rookie cap in place that wasn't there for a portion of Gene Smith's tenure so some of those rookie deals are going to skew the numbers significantly. 

Caldwell barely spent anything last year in free agency because there wasn't any point.  It was a team that was rebuilding, and they were going to do so through the draft, so any free agents we got last year were on the lower end of the scale for the most part, and signed short-term contracts. 

You have to put things in context.

Quote:The calm before the storm?

Well now it is calm during the Storm. Don't forget who our seventh round pick is.

Strom.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:One thing is for certain if Blake Bortles shows flashes of brillance during PreSeason I am sure a debate will occur over starting him sooner than later since Chad Henne is Average at best.  I figure some will argue that he should learn from the bench until the team gets more peices to the puzzle sort of speak, but isnt on the job training the best learning tool (provided the Oline looks good enough in preseason to not have him killed)?

I already have my arguments ready for those morons, who certainly will ignore the fact that backup quarterbacks play against backup defenses in the preseason.

Quote:I already have my arguments ready for those morons, who certainly will ignore the fact that backup quarterbacks play against backup defenses in the preseason.

Look at you all ready to go gun's a blazin'.. Good for you.. Show em whatcha got...

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Blank #2 vs corn

Speaking for myself, I'm drinking the Gus Juice until the expiration date runs out, plus a day or two.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 09:31 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Speaking for myself, I'm drinking the Gus Juice until the expiration date runs out, plus a day or two.

Go right ahead there, big guy.... :unsure:

One of my quirks are I always make sure I drink everything in the fridge at least 2 or 3 days before the expiration date, otherwise I won't touch it.  lol

Expectations should be 6-8 wins this year.  Anything else would be considered a failure.  More than just wins you want to see a team molding into something greater. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Expectations should be 6-8 wins this year.  Anything else would be considered a failure.  More than just wins you want to see a team molding into something greater. 

I don't think reasonable "expectations" for 2014 should go any higher than 6 wins. Thats just one man's opinion, but I see 7/ 8+ wins as a pleasant surprise, not an expectation. 

I will be expecting 9+ for 2015, and think thats fair, provided things keep progressing. 

Is it too early to tank?

Still upset that we won those games and missed out on Teddy...

Quote:I don't think reasonable "expectations" for 2014 should go any higher than 6 wins. Thats just one man's opinion, but I see 7/ 8+ wins as a pleasant surprise, not an expectation. 

I will be expecting 9+ for 2015, and think thats fair, provided things keep progressing. 

No expecations are realistic before Labor Day. That is when we all know who our 53 active players are and who is on the practice squad, PUP, or injured reserve.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 01:00 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:No expecations are realistic before Labor Day. That is when we all know who our 53 active players are and who is on the practice squad, PUP, or injured reserve.

hey, wait a 3 minute egg.....so are you telling me before Labor Day, that ALL expectations are unrealistic?? :woot: 

Quote:I agree there was overall optimism, but there was still disagreement then (the first offseason), specifically over the wisdom of trading a 2 the next year for Derek Cox.  That disagreement persisted for a while.

By this time in Gene Smith's tenure (year 2), the controversy was over Tyson Alualu, whether the team reached for him, whether there was the opportunity to trade down, whether we should have taken Tebow, etc.  Even though many remained optimistic, the chorus against Gene Smith began to grow.

TBH I'm not sure if this is optimism based or not.

It could be...but there are reasons to think otherwise too.
There was disagreement over the wisdom of picking Joekel and disagreement on the trading of Monroe with the new regime.

You can question some moves and stay optimistic. It's when they hit some bumps in the road the sentiment turns.

Same ole same ole so far.