Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN ranking Jaguars roster at the bottom 5 in the NFL

We're doomed.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:....and lets be honest...does it really matter a hill of beans where ESPN may rank us??
Clearly it's a concern for some here. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:We're doomed.
That goes without saying. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:What about formerly known as Offensive Weapon, Denard Robinson?  Do you think he will have a break out year after the rookie jitters?  Or have we seen all the hype fizzle out on him? 

I do think the roster is better than ESPN states, but I think we'll have a better idea during PreSeason.

He's hard to figure.  He is very athletic and showed brief flashes at times to run between the tackles which I didn't think he'd be able to do as a QB turned running back.  The transition he's trying to make is tough.  Concentrating on one position will be to his benefit, but if I had to guess, I'd say he'll probably be off the roster in another year or two.  

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:He's hard to figure.  He is very athletic and showed brief flashes at times to run between the tackles which I didn't think he'd be able to do as a QB turned running back.  The transition he's trying to make is tough.  Concentrating on one position will be to his benefit, but if I had to guess, I'd say he'll probably be off the roster in another year or two.  

The only time we got to see him with the ball in his hand during the open OTA, he was getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on a run. 

Quote:ESPN

Especially

Stupid

People

Network

Need I say more
Excessive

Stupidity

Propegated

Nonstop

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Excessive

Stupidity

Propegated

Nonstop
:thumbsup:

Quote:ESPN is owned by Disney since 1996.

Yep, sounds about right....It was in the later 90's when ESPN started to suck and become less about sports and more about garbage, so the above timeline makes perfect sense. 

Quote:Yep, sounds about right....It was in the later 90's when ESPN started to suck and become less about sports and more about garbage, so the above timeline makes perfect sense. 

The decline should have been expected when ESPN was acquired by Disney.  It's an entertainment company.  They ripped the very soul out of what made ESPN great by applying their formula to how the network operates.

Quote:The decline should have been expected when ESPN was acquired by Disney.  It's an entertainment company.  They ripped the very soul out of what made ESPN great by applying their formula to how the network operates.

....I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took over MTV as well....say about early 1990's - ish?? :devil:

Quote:....I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took over MTV as well....say about early 1990's - ish?? :devil:

No, that was Time Warner who ruined MTV.

Quote:No, that was Time Warner who ruined MTV.

It sucks that things that start out as good ideas, have to be ruined by corporate greed. 

I used to really enjoy both MTV and ESPN when they were actually what they were originally supposed to be. 

Quote:It sucks that things that start out as good ideas, have to be ruined by corporate greed. 

I used to really enjoy both MTV and ESPN when they were actually what they were originally supposed to be. 

It's not greed as much as these companies have what they think is the formula for success.  They think they can do it better than it was done previously, and they force acquisitions to fit into their box.  MTV probably has had better ratings with the changes, but it ruined the network.  ESPN may be formulaic, but they're still the biggest sports exclusive network in the business because they have the resources of Disney behind them. 

Appeal to the lowest common denominator, get better ratings, make more money.

I doubt anybody will say the quality of programming on networks like Bravo, History or TLC is better now than 10-20 years ago. But the ratings probably are.

TV stations has had to run after the mass market to survive these last 10 years. MTV went towards teenagers/collegepeeps and ESPN went for the dudebro's. How about niche' stations such as the speed channel or tech TV? They didn't survive long.

I suppose what im saying is, You can't blame them for selling their soul if more money is to be made. Thats where people like us just turn off the TV and find other sources of informational entertainment.

Quote:TV stations has had to run after the mass market to survive these last 10 years. MTV went towards teenagers/collegepeeps and ESPN went for the dudebro's. How about niche' stations such as the speed channel or tech TV? They didn't survive long.

I suppose what im saying is, You can't blame them for selling their soul if more money is to be made. Thats where people like us just turn off the TV and find other sources of informational entertainment.

Techtv is now G4.

I'd say that more than who these channels target being the problem, the problem is consolidation in the market of entertainment companies. Disney controls so much programming and so many channels that they can essentially insist on getting a ton of money on their channels and cable operators drop the ones that don't have a strong conglomerate behind them because those are the only ones they can drop. Not to mention that conglomerate channels don't have to be good to get money, they're sold as a bundle, smaller networks have to actually be good enough, and then they'll just likely get swallowed up like TechTV did, it's now owned by comcast under the G4 network name.

Quote:It sucks that things that start out as good ideas, have to be ruined by corporate greed. 

I know this won't be well received by some, but Goodell appears to be taking the NFL down a similar path-some for reasons/influences beyond his control.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I enjoy listening to NFL Radio on Sirius  http://www.siriusxm.com/nfl especially Ross Tucker early in the morning. 

If you havent listened in you should its entertaining ( no plug, just find it interesting)

Quote:I know this won't be well received by some, but Goodell appears to be taking the NFL down a similar path-some for reasons/influences beyond his control.
I think we would've been better off with Condoleezza Rice as the commish (she has pubicly stated it would be her dream job, and she was the former Sec. of State.

Quote:TV stations has had to run after the mass market to survive these last 10 years. MTV went towards teenagers/collegepeeps and ESPN went for the dudebro's. How about niche' stations such as the speed channel or tech TV? They didn't survive long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

I want my MTV - Dire Straits