Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We have seriously overrated Justin Blackmon

Quote:24 yards

0 yards

5 yards

40 yards

7 yards

32 yards

25 yards

9 yards

31 yards

The 0 yard game he didn't start. 

I counted 6 such games in which he had 31 yards or less. well, 7 counting the one last year. 

and all but 1 were before week 14 of last season....

so you are judging him harshly on his first 12 games as a ROOKIE, otherwise. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Where did I say it's common?  Blown coverages like that don't happen that often.  Credit to Blackmon for taking advantage of it.

But let's not pretend he had some amazing TD that you would see Randy Moss make.

Most WR aren't having the football IQ/ ability to score on that play. Would many WR maybe get a first down in that situation? Sure. Blackmon gets a TD on it. Simply a higher level of WR, 

Quote:Read it again.  The bad games were defined as less than 50 yards..

50 to 70 I labeled as "OK to decent"..

Tried to quantify it somehow.
If a WR averaged a "decent" 70 yard game all year, that would be over 1100 yards receiving..

Quote:The 0 yard game he didn't start. 

I counted 6 such games in which he had 31 yards or less. well, 7 counting the one last year. 

and all but 1 were before week 14 of last season....

so you are judging him harshly on his first 12 games as a ROOKIE, otherwise. 

perhaps so.  I don't think I'm judging him harshly.  

He's given us a limited sample size to work with.  Being that the sample size is so small, I can't just throw out his bad games.

I personally think he's a guy that can get you 50-60 yards consistently and can "erupt" every now and then for the 150 yard game or so.

Good, but not elite.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:If a WR averaged a "decent" 70 yard game all year, that would be over 1100 yards receiving..

Which would put him about #17 in receiving yards in the NFL.  

1100 yards is nowhere near pro bowl or elite numbers, sorry to break it to you.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:perhaps so.  I don't think I'm judging him harshly.  

He's given us a limited sample size to work with.  Being that the sample size is so small, I can't just throw out his bad games.

I personally think he's a guy that can get you 50-60 yards consistently and can "erupt" every now and then for the 150 yard game or so.

Good, but not elite.

In his last 8 games, his only "bad" game was a 4 rec for 31 game. He was trending upward even in that category. 

Quote:If a WR averaged a "decent" 70 yard game all year, that would be over 1100 yards receiving..

I edited my earlier post to be more clear:

less than 50 = bad

50-69 = OK to decent

70 and above = good

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM by JagsFerLife.)

Quote:Which would put him about #17 in receiving yards in the NFL.  

1100 yards is nowhere near pro bowl or elite numbers, sorry to break it to you.

As a 1st/2nd year WR with Gabbert/Henne, thats good. Give him a half decent QB and it'd be a higher number.

Was he a special talent? No, not really.

Could he potentially have been a 10 top WR? No doubt about that. He was putting up good numbers with the worst QB play in the NFL by a large margin.

Quote:In his last 8 games, his only "bad" game was a 4 rec for 31 game. He was trending upward even in that category. 

funny that you left out the 9th game, where he had 1 catch for 9 yards.

Why would you leave it out, after all it did come after his breakout game against Houston?

We can't pick and choose with him.  It's too small of a sample size.  He can get shut out.  In fact, his last game in the NFL he was shut out.  The game before that, he also wasn't impressive.

Quote:As a 1st/2nd year WR with Gabbert/Henne, thats good. Give him a half decent QB and it'd be a higher number.

Was he a special talent? No, not really.

Could he potentially have been a 10 top WR? No doubt about that. He was putting up good numbers with the worst QB play in the NFL by a large margin.

I agree there.

Quote:funny that you left out the 9th game, where he had 1 catch for 9 yards.

Why would you leave it out, after all it did come after his breakout game against Houston?

We can't pick and choose with him.  It's too small of a sample size.  He can get shut out.  In fact, his last game in the NFL he was shut out.  The game before that, he also wasn't impressive.

8 games is a half of a season. Its a fair stopping point. 

Quote:8 games is a half of a season. Its a fair stopping point. 

lol ok, keep picking and choosing only the games you want to include.

in that case, you can't bring up the Houston game.

Quote:lol ok, keep picking and choosing only the games you want to include.

in that case, you can't bring up the Houston game.

He's played in 20 games, started 19. Funny, you aren't as harsh on Cecil Short's first 16 games, as you are BLackmon's....

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014, 09:57 PM by SuperJville.)

Cecil Shorts also had a 8 game stretch (when he first got a chance to start) where he went for 720 yards and 5 TDs.

By comparison, the 8 game stretch you're talking about has JB going for 723 yards and 3 TDs.

Quote:He's played in 20 games, started 19. Funny, you aren't as harsh on Cecil Short's first 16 games, as you are BLackmon's....

Cecil was a 4th round pick from a small school.

He has overachieved.  Noone is proclaiming he's elite or even close to elite.  But when he did get a chance to start, he instantly produced.  He actually produced as well as Blackmon ever has.  

Quote:Cecil Shorts also had a 8 game stretch (when he first got a chance to start) where he went for 720 yards and 5 TDs.

Well, Cecil couldn't even get on the field his rookie year. 

Cecil was a sophomore in the NFL by the time he started to play well, so its nowhere near an even comparison. 

Quote:Cecil was a 4th round pick from a small school.

He has overachieved.  Noone is proclaiming he's elite or even close to elite.  But when he did get a chance to start, he instantly produced.  He actually produced as well as Blackmon ever has.  

LOL, he most certainly "had a chance" to start in 2011 as a rookie. He wasn't good enough.....to even crack THAT lineup at that point. 

Quote:LOL, he most certainly "had a chance" to start in 2011 as a rookie. He wasn't good enough.....to even crack THAT lineup at that point. 

Nowhere did i say Cecil is special.  In fact, he's not.

I think you might be conflating the issue here.  I'm not arguing Cecil is better than Justin.

Quote:Even in his 2nd year, he played 4 games.

He was very good in 2 games and basically a non-factor in the other 2 games he played.

Let's not pretend that he was this unstoppable force in year 2.  His last 2 games left MUCH to be desired, to be frank.
Give him a good QB and he breaks records in those "good games"

Quote:Nowhere did i say Cecil is special.  In fact, he's not.

I think you might be conflating the issue here.  I'm not arguing Cecil is better than Justin.

Ok, at least we cleared that up. Some on here actually have and do make that argument.