Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gene Smith the Jaguars toughest opponent. Where is he now?

Quote:Cecil Shorts says shut up.
dont forget about our ELITE punter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Gene Smith

Famous Quotes:

"Get the Big Guys Early"

"Best Available Player"

"Um Uh Um Uh Uh Um Uh Um"

This guy was a complete disaster. His philosophy was to draft Bigger players in the high rounds and get your wr's and everyone else in the lower rounds. Gene Smith was also on another planet when it came to player evaluation. Alualu 10th overall, Bryan Anger in the third round, etc. In fact his 4 years of drafting maybe the worst drafting ever in that same time frame. Gene Smith also contradicted himself.  He was known to like choir boys and selects Justin Blackmon 5th overall, He kept saying best available player and selects a punter in the third round. Gene Smith set this team back a decade.

I don't see how this could possibly be true.

He followed Ketchman's philosophy almost to a tee. 

The one thing he didn't do is take a whole buch of eastern/Big 10 players.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I don't see how this could possibly be true.

No... The one thing he didn't do was take good football players.

Quote:His first draft was actually not too bad. Britton was good at first, but then got hurt. Monroe was always solid. Knighton was very good when he was at his best, but he got really out of shape. Cox was good but always hurt. Mike Thomas was good as far as fourth round WR's go, but he gave up. Dillard was hurt too much. Zach Miller never got healthy.

Gotta admit, his other drafts were atrocious, but he did have more than his fair share of bad luck along the way. Anyone remember D'Anthony Smith? Spent 3 years on IR, like, how does that even happen.

Even the guy he liked, and tried to trade for that looked like a stud (Sean Lee) ended up getting hurt all the time lol

Quote:Cecil Shorts says shut up.

One. I'm pretty sure every member of this message board could find at least one starter in 3 total drafts.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:One. I'm pretty sure every member of this message board could find at least one starter in 3 total drafts.

Terrence Knighton says things are never as bad nor as good as they seem.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:dont forget about our ELITE punter.

That was the breaking point for me personally, talk about frustrating.

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:One. I'm pretty sure every member of this message board could find at least one starter in 3 total drafts.

Eugene Monroe is a top starter at LT, doesn't matter he's not here anymore, he would qualify. Heck Rashard Jennings has had a decent career I wouldn't consider him a busted pick at all especially in the late part of the draft. There was highs and lows but the ultimate death pick was Gabbert followed by Mularky.

Quote:Eugene Monroe is a top starter at LT, doesn't matter he's not here anymore, he would qualify. Heck Rashard Jennings has had a decent career I wouldn't consider him a busted pick at all especially in the late part of the draft. There was highs and lows but the ultimate death pick was Gabbert followed by Mularky.

I wouldn't really consider Monroe a top starter. He's graded out as just above average for his career, which isn't enough to justify a #8 selection. Jennings is really "just a guy" I guess he wasn't a terrible get in the 7th round, but again it isn't saying much. The death stroke was the Mularkey hire for me as well, but that was really just the straw that broke the camels back. He's the reason why we still have so far to climb in regards to our rebuild. You can't just completely strikeout on 6 or 7 drafts in a row and expect to be competitive and that's just what Gene and Shack did.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Had Gabbert panned out (even if he was just Dalton-like), Gene would still be the GM. Fair or not, a GM only lasts as long as his QB, and this goes for Caldwell too.

Quote:I don't see how this could possibly be true.

There's a reach of an association if there ever was one (Gene - Ketchman.)

Gene's issue was that he could talk the talk, but he couldn't walk the walk.

Said all the right things, but in the end he simply couldn't execute.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Had Gabbert panned out (even if he was just Dalton-like), Gene would still be the GM. Fair or not, a GM only lasts as long as his QB, and this goes for Caldwell too.

That's true.

Getting caught up in the buzz, it's easy to forget how much is riding on Bortles.

Working from rock bottom has it's benefits, though.  Bortles could disappoint but not sink him as long as the rest of the team rises from the ashes.  He's still got plenty of opportunity to have and show success all over the roster on both sides of the ball.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:That's true.

Getting caught up in the buzz, it's easy to forget how much is riding on Bortles.

Working from rock bottom has it's benefits, though.  Bortles could disappoint but not sink him as long as the rest of the team rises from the ashes.  He's still got plenty of opportunity to have and show success all over the roster on both sides of the ball.

I think different, taking Bortles at 3 we went all in on him. If he ends up Leftwhich/Gabbert style of bust it would be the kiss of death for this regime the same as the previous ones. You take a QB 3rd overall it's expected for him to make an impact that changes the course of a franchises fortune. Under Bortles we either become playoff contenders or it's a bust.

Nothing wrong with being all in - if you are right.. its being wrong where the problems start.....

I thought this fanbase disliked GS so much to where they have moved on and stopped creating flashback threads about him.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Silly boy - we never move on...that's what makes us special

Im just thankful he is now in our past. I wish at this point we would have never given him the chance but...oops... Undecided

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM by HeadSlap.)

Quote:I think different, taking Bortles at 3 we went all in on him. If he ends up Leftwhich/Gabbert style of bust it would be the kiss of death for this regime the same as the previous ones. You take a QB 3rd overall it's expected for him to make an impact that changes the course of a franchises fortune. Under Bortles we either become playoff contenders or it's a bust.
We agree that we disagree.

Considering the success rate at picking QB's where there are many who are not sucessfull, it is not a sound business model to clean house if your #3 pick fails to be exceptional. Research and analysis is exactly that and prone to failure even when done by the best. Every team in the league has draft picks that don't pan out. Even high draft picks.

I don't see Kahn as the what have you done for me this quarter type when launching a new operation.

He OK'd blowing up the roster and knew that it would take time, we have seen the team show progress and metrics are being met. Failure of one metric is no reason to panic and flush everything. If Blake is a servicable QB with flashes, then the team will work around him as they again look for the franchise guy.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

If Caldwell can build a complete roster and Bortles turns out to be a bust, I don't see Caldwell leaving.

Caldwell once said something similar to "you pick a QB every year until you get one."   Shows a little how he thinks.  He is probably already looking.