Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Henne takes this team 10-6?

Henne can take a good team to the playoffs.  So could pretty much any NFL QB.   If we go 10-6, as much credit as you want to give Henne, it more likely means Caldwell's team building strategy is working. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hey it is the crazy offseason. This is where dreams are made and when the season starts they get crushed, but we still have all off season to dream!!!!

Seriously though, we have a pretty weak division. It really is there for the taking.

Honestly I'd rather dream that Bortles is miraculously ready to start game 1, and our O-line is miraculously ready game 1, and Storm Johnson is our next Fred Taylor (and Lee and Robinson are the next Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell).  If you're going to dream, you might as well dream big.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Henne can take a good team to the playoffs.  So could pretty much any NFL QB.   If we go 10-6, as much credit as you want to give Henne, it more likely means Caldwell's team building strategy is working. 

Swap "good team" to great or elite and you might have an argument.

Even very good rosters can be held back, though. Look at the Chiefs, they went from 2-14 to 10 wins just by switching to a mid level veteran. Henne would have had the chiefs at another 2-14 level year.

Quote:Swap "good team" to great or elite and you might have an argument.

Even very good rosters can be held back, though. Look at the Chiefs, they went from 2-14 to 10 wins just by switching to a mid level veteran. Henne would have had the chiefs at another 2-14 level year.

Pretty much what I was saying.  Didn't use those words because the team just has to be great compared to the other teams that season.  Somewhat disagree with the Chiefs example.  At least I think it's an exaggeration.  There we're more factors that contributed to the turnaround than Alex Smith.   He didn't account for 8 wins.

Henne isn't the type of QB who has shown the ability to take over games. At his best, he is the type of QB who can make the right decisions and take what is available to move the chains. I call that a game manager. Sorry if that disappoints you Achilles.
Only a chump boos the home team!

If Henne takes this team 10-6, imagine what Blake would do next season with an even better team.

Quote:Honestly I'd rather dream that Bortles is miraculously ready to start game 1, and our O-line is miraculously ready game 1, and Storm Johnson is our next Fred Taylor (and Lee and Robinson are the next Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell). If you're going to dream, you might as well dream big.

I like that dream too. I don't even know what I feels like to have a team competing for a playoff spot. It's weird, I've forgotten. These last 2 years have really done a number on my psychologically.

Quote:See:

Jon Kitna/Carson Palmer

Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick

Bortles is the future of the team. Whatever happens with Henne happens. You'd like to get something for trade (even Gabbert had trade value) but in the long run it really doesn't matter much as Bortles is expected to be the guy regardless.
This seems likely..

Quote:Henne isn't the type of QB who has shown the ability to take over games. At his best, he is the type of QB who can make the right decisions and take what is available to move the chains. I call that a game manager. Sorry if that disappoints you Achilles.

We get it.  You don't like Henne.  Nobody is expecting him to become Peyton Manning. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

If Henne goes 10-6, it's most likely because he'll have the weapons to go 10-6.. Part time WR's (Blackmon), arn't really considered weapons if they can't get on the field. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

FBT.. that post was in response specifically to my use of the term "game manager" which apparently upset Achilles. Henne was just the vehicle used from my original post on how we might get to 10-6 with him starting.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:FBT.. that post was in response specifically to my use of the term "game manager" which apparently upset Achilles. Henne was just the vehicle used from my original post on how we might get to 10-6 with him starting.

Gotcha.  Still, it's clear you're not a Henne fan.

I think people need to take a step back and let this play out.  I really am curious to see what Henne can do with another year in the same system with the same coaches.  He's stepping it up as a leader in the locker room.  The players are already rallying behind him.  I expect to see improvement from him.  Nothing spectacular, but enough to assure we don't see the same kinds of fluctuations in performance we did last year.  I think we'll see more consistency from Henne, which is all we can ask for at this point. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

That would be a very nice what if...

Chad Henne certainly has limitations as a QB.  But in fairness to Henne,  in his first 6 seasons in the NFL,  he's never been with a team that had even close to enough talent on the Offensive side of the ball.   If Henne was the Bengals starting QB,   I think at the very least he would lead that team to 8 wins.   With a realistic chance of reaching the playoffs under the current 12 team playoff format.  

Quote:Chad Henne certainly has limitations as a QB.  But in fairness to Henne,  in his first 6 seasons in the NFL,  he's never been with a team that had even close to enough talent on the Offensive side of the ball.   If Henne was the Bengals starting QB,   I think at the very least he would lead that team to 8 wins.   With a realistic chance of reaching the playoffs under the current 12 team playoff format.  

To advance your point, Henne has also never had a situation that is as stable as the one he is in currently.  He's seen a revolving door of head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches since coming into the league.  This is probably the first time in his career where he's dealing with the same group of coaches from one year to the next.

Quote:To advance your point, Henne has also never had a situation that is as stable as the one he is in currently.  He's seen a revolving door of head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches since coming into the league.  This is probably the first time in his career where he's dealing with the same group of coaches from one year to the next.

Stability and familiarity definitely makes it much easier for a QB to function well.   

Not only should Chad Henne benefit from what you mentioned,  the Jaguars should benefit by having a QB who knows the system extremely well and what the coaches expect from him.   Plus,  the players on Offense and the entire team know they can count on Henne from being as prepared as realistically possible and for his excellent leadership.   

Henne impressed me greatly after the one sided loss in London to the 49ers that put the Jaguars at 0-8.   While the playoffs were an ultra longshot,   he made sure that his teammates realized that the playoffs were still in reach.   That's putting yourself on the line,  considering the backlash that some gave Henne.   As it turned out,  Henne helped lead the team to 4 wins,  despite the talent difference between the Jaguars and their opponents.  

Quote:Stability and familiarity definitely makes it much easier for a QB to function well.   

Not only should Chad Henne benefit from what you mentioned,  the Jaguars should benefit by having a QB who knows the system extremely well and what the coaches expect from him.   Plus,  the players on Offense and the entire team know they can count on Henne from being as prepared as realistically possible and for his excellent leadership.   

Henne impressed me greatly after the one sided loss in London to the 49ers that put the Jaguars at 0-8.   While the playoffs were an ultra longshot,   he made sure that his teammates realized that the playoffs were still in reach.   That's putting yourself on the line,  considering the backlash that some gave Henne.   As it turned out,  Henne helped lead the team to 4 wins,  despite the talent difference between the Jaguars and their opponents.  

Few here will agree with you.  It's a shame actually because I think Henne has gotten a bad rap through no fault of his own.  We'll see if he's a capable backup, or even a serviceable starter this year. If he proves the naysayers wrong, he's still young enough to land somewhere that he can have a decent career.  If he turns out to be who he has always been, no harm done. He was always a bridge player here anyway. 

Quote:Few here will agree with you.  It's a shame actually because I think Henne has gotten a bad rap through no fault of his own.  We'll see if he's a capable backup, or even a serviceable starter this year. If he proves the naysayers wrong, he's still young enough to land somewhere that he can have a decent career.  If he turns out to be who he has always been, no harm done. He was always a bridge player here anyway. 

Well stated.

With the Jaguars future being heavily invested in Blake Bortles,  who I believe is now the most important player in the organization,  the main thing for the Jaguars is for Chad Henne to be a bridge for the Blake Bortles era.   If Henne exceeds that,  it's a bonus.   For this franchise,  Henne is the ideal transition QB to have. 

One added benefit with Henne is he's going to set high standards for rookie WR's Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson.   Henne knows what the WR's need to do in order to maximize their abilities and for the team to win games.   Especially in the context of the Jaguars Offensive Scheme. 

Quote:Few here will agree with you.  It's a shame actually because I think Henne has gotten a bad rap through no fault of his own.  We'll see if he's a capable backup, or even a serviceable starter this year. If he proves the naysayers wrong, he's still young enough to land somewhere that he can have a decent career.  If he turns out to be who he has always been, no harm done. He was always a bridge player here anyway.
Your last sentence sums it up and Henne knows this... he's that type of player and it's been said about him that he has no ego problems with this role he's in... very few QB's could or would except his kind of fate on a team...on the other hand this is a perfect situation for him this year too... he has a chance to show a few teams, that's looking for a decent QB, that he could be their man...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

Quote:Well stated.

With the Jaguars future being heavily invested in Blake Bortles,  who I believe is now the most important player in the organization,  the main thing for the Jaguars is for Chad Henne to be a bridge for the Blake Bortles era.   If Henne exceeds that,  it's a bonus.   For this franchise,  Henne is the ideal transition QB to have. 

One added benefit with Henne is he's going to set high standards for rookie WR's Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson.   Henne knows what the WR's need to do in order to maximize their abilities and for the team to win games.   Especially in the context of the Jaguars Offensive Scheme. 

Agreed.  I think Henne is an excellent mentor for Bortles and the receivers because of his experience in the system, and the expectations he's going to set. 

It's funny because when you hear the players talking about Chad, they're all behind him, and have been since the switch was made last year.  And to a player, they all say they trust him and appreciate his leadership.

When the team returned to start the off season conditioning, and then the OTAs this week, report after report came out of the stadium talking about how differently Henne was carrying himself in the locker room, in meetings, and on the field.  The guy is a pros pro when it comes to the way he conducts himself, but even he has admitted that his goal this year was to continue to develop his leadership abilities in order to help this team in any way possible. 

Prior to the draft, he was told the team would be targeting a QB at some point.  Rather than take the opportunity to sign elsewhere in free agency, he re-signed here understanding what his role was going to be.  I think he saw it as a chance to help bolster his situation by getting another year at the helm to prove he can improve his game.  He's still a young guy, and if he can prove himself to be an adequate starter here this season, it bodes well for him in the future.