Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is the greatest Jaguar ever?

Quote:Wow! Looks like you're right. Jimmy Smith averaged 1000 yards receiving in his final 4 years, without McCardell. I guess I just remember some things wrong.

Yeah, he managed to keep up his stats despite losing his sidekick. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tony Boselli.  

While Boselli's career was cut short,  he played long enough at a very high level that a strong case can be made that Boselli was the 2nd best all around Offensive Tackle in the NFL in the last 35 years.  With only Bengals T Anthony Munoz being better.

Quote:The better talent? Fred Taylor. The better player? Jimmy.
That about sums it up. Jimmy Smith produced and built a reputation as the savviest receiver in the game amongst the cornerbacks of his day.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Tony Tony Tony was the best thus far..

Quote:Fred is first. Smith would be second. Boseli was a Dominant Right Tackle( I know he played left Tackle but its hard to judge when our QB was Left Handed) where is the love for Leon Searcy the tackle that actually protected Brunels backside? Everyone talks about how Tony Dominated Bruce Smith in that bills game, but if you watch the game Tony did dominate him for the first part but then Bruce Smith moved to the other side and kept changing across the d-line. I think Tony was better then average and a probowl Tackle and his injuries took him out to soon so we will never know how good he would have been protecting a QBS backside. (if Tony got beat, Mark ran the other way so no sack.)

You don't get Hall of Fame nominations (every year since 2009) on a 6-year career for "better than average". B. Smith had 13.5 sacks that year, and Boselli, a 2nd year OT, dominated the HoF DE. Smith was moving around because he couldn't do anything against Boselli. I don't know how you manage to use that against him? Doesn't really make sense. Smith only had a couple tackles, 2 pressures, and no sacks in that game. 

People also forget that he dominated Derrick Thomas too.

Also, if Tony gave up a sack, it was because Mark ran. He only allowed 15.5 in his career, and a handful came from Brunell's mobility. I'm a bit of a Boselli fanboy, so maybe you can explain your stance a little bit better because I don't see it. 

Production wise, it was Jimmy smith. But in terms of the best player at their position that we have had, that would easily be Boselli. Fred Taylor is my personal favorite, but I think Boselli is the best player we have ever had. It's a shame he faced so many injuries. He was better than Johnathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, or Walter Jones(in their primes) when he was on the field.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:You're out of your mind. 

Mark Brunell wasn't the best at what he did, but there were times when it looked like he was. By no means was he the greatest Jaguar ever, but he was certainly a starting-quality Pro-Bowl QB. 

I am not trying to discredit anything he did. He is my all-time favorite Jaguar. But I would not be mad if another player got #8.

To answer the question depends on what you are looking for.

My first thought is Jimmy Smith.  He was one of the most feared wide receivers in the game, and just "did it" every time that he was on the field.  I loved watching him play and meeting/talking with him personally was a wonderful thing.  His rise to stardom is also a very good story.

Fred Taylor comes to mind.  He had to go through the "fragile freddy" times and still worked his way up to be one of the best running backs of all time (looking at stats).

I have to go with Jimmy Smith to answer this question, but along with Fred Taylor other considerations are Mark Brunell and Tony Boselli.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I was at a conference in Houston once, probably about 1997, along with some of my associates from Taiwan. When we introduced ourselves and I told them I was from Jacksonville they looked at me with a smile and said, "ah, Mok Boonell ". They knew who Mark was!

Regard.......................the Chiefjag

Quote:Fred for me

How many people can do this to Troy P. at 1:40. and 3:50 one of my favorite runs.

Garrard did it on 4th and 2. Wink

To me, same three - Boselli, Taylor, Smith. I wonder what their answers would be if you asked those three players that question.

I have always had a mancrush on Freddy T. I just like everything about how he played and carried himself. Cool dude
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

the best jaguars of all time:

1-matt turk

2-long ding

3-guy whimper

i think they deserve to be considered in the pride of the jaguars.

"it's only smellz"

- Rocco Siffredi

This is a tough one - best at their position would have to be Boselli - but as far as electrifying, exciting play? I saw both Smith and Taylor many times and they both were just amazing in their prime...gonna have to give it to Fred as a personal preference here but I do believe Jimmy belongs in the Pride based on his play.  I guess it depends on what you value when naming the best Jag ever..Boselli and Taylor sure have given a lot back to the franchise (especially Boselli)

I am going with Fred Taylor here. Boselli was great, but he didn't play long enough due to unfortuante injuries. Jimmy Smith was great, one of the most underrated and underappreciated receivers probably during his era and time. With that said, his last few years with us in Jacksonville, especially being a kid, didn't sit well with me. With the cocaine habit, and his abrupt retirement AFTER we had just wrapped up the NFL 2006 draft, AND coming off of our first play-off season from 2005 since 1999. That was really, REALLY dissapointing to see as a fan growing up. And, not that anything was guaranteed, BUT, what if he had retired in April instead, and instead of us drafting Lewis with the 28th overall pick, the front office opts for Greg Jennings at WR?

For that reason, I don't know. Just rubbed me the wrong way. Boselli was also let go to the tinhorns during the expansion draft. With Freddy, it was different. He was willing to take a pay-cut to stay here as a back-up. Gene Smith let this team down more than anybody over the last four or five years, but, that was easily the worst move he ever made IMHO when he allowed him to walk away to New England.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:I am not trying to discredit anything he did. He is my all-time favorite Jaguar. But I would not be mad if another player got #8.

That isn't what you said. You called him a back-up quality QB. I don't think there's anything to support that. 

Quote:the best jaguars of all time:

1-matt turk

2-long ding

3-guy whimper

i think they deserve to be considered in the pride of the jaguars.

I think Eugene Chung deserves an honorable mention.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:In London with his comments.. 
Brunell later apologized for his comments. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_...guars-move

Some of you need to develop a concept of forgiveness and just let it go. We all say and do stupid things in our lives.

Fred.

Boseli's male guard pads we're so ridiculous

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana