Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What tier of QB would Blake have to end up as make him worth the 3rd pick?
Brady, Manning, Rogers and Breese
Rivers, Luck, Flaco, E. Manning
Wilson, Big Ben, Stafford, Romo, Kaepernick
Foles, RGIII, Cutler, Smith, Dalton
All the Rest
Blank #2
[Show Results]

What tier of QB would Blake have to end up in to make him worth the 3rd pick?

Quote:Wilson is not a tier 2 QB by any stretch. He's basically a glorified game manager right now, and was even less so towards in the end of the season last year. He still has bad pocket presence and relies on his legs too much.

LOL

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

flacco and eli in tier 2 lol. playing good for 4 game stretch a couple times doesnt make you a constantly elite player.

Quote:Unfortunately is it not a scientific pole. I tried to group players by level of success/level of ability. Sorry Dokota, I forgot to add Corn as a selection.

Agreed, a scientific pole is needed.  I suggest a magnetic pole, more specifically the north one.

If Bortles is Big Ben, I'd be a bit disappointed in the pick.  I'm not a fan of that guys play style, he holds the ball too long and relies on his size and strength for his success.  I hope Blake turns out to be a better QB than that.

Honestly, I am hoping BB turns into a great QB.  The Jaguar's Marino would be what I'd love to see happen.

But as long as he's a franchise QB we can rely on for 10+ years to get us into the playoffs consistently and make us SB contenders with the right players around him, that would be worth the #3 pick.

Quote:flacco and eli in tier 2 lol. playing good for 4 game stretch a couple times doesnt make you a constantly elite player.

Being a two time Super Bowl MVP does.

Anything less than GOAT and we throw him off the Hart Bridge during the 2016 River Run.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This is absurd. The real tears should be:

1. Andre Lunk (he's like Peyton Manning but butter)

3. QBs who started rookie year

4 purple

I don't really get caught up in tiers much and the ranking of players within them, but it's an interesting topic.

I think that as long as he's an upgrade at the position he's worth the pick because the league is so QB driven these days. You need a QB? You got the #3 pick? Go for it and pray your new guy lives up to your evaluations of him.

Obviously there will be years in which the QB draft class would prohibit such a course of action- but this kid was top ten on lots of boards.

Quote:Agreed, a scientific pole is needed. I suggest a magnetic pole, more specifically the north one.

If Bortles is Big Ben, I'd be a bit disappointed in the pick. I'm not a fan of that guys play style, he holds the ball too long and relies on his size and strength for his success. I hope Blake turns out to be a better QB than that.

Honestly, I am hoping BB turns into a great QB. The Jaguar's Marino would be what I'd love to see happen.

But as long as he's a franchise QB we can rely on for 10+ years to get us into the playoffs consistently and make us SB contenders with the right players around him, that would be worth the #3 pick.
I'd rather him be Roethlisberger than Marino because Marino never got his ring.

You don't draft in hindsight.

He's worth the third pick because he was seen as the only franchise caliber QB in the draft.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Kind of an odd question.  If he becomes around the same level of talent as Flacco/Ryan, then I don't think you will hear a ton of complaints for where we drafted him.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 02:41 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

I think the better question would be:

What level should Bortles reach for him to be considered to have been a good pick at 3?

A: Top 3 QB in the league (Post Brady/Manning/Brees)

B. Top 5 QB in the league (Post Brady/Manning/Brees)

C. Top 10 QB in the league (Post Brady/Manning/Brees)

D. Top 16 QB in the league

E. Top 20 QB in the league

F. Top 32 QB in the league

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

It would be nice to look back on this draft in 5-6 years and see that the only probowl QB was Bortles, and he ends up as good a QB as Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, and Mack will be at their positions.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

To put this in context, this was a draft that Caldwell said had the best top 10 he'd ever seen in his time as a scout (going all the way back to '96) and many said the same of it. The top 2 talents, Clowney and Robinson, were both seen as potential transcendent talents at their positions, Mack was being called one of the best linebacker prospects people had ever evaluated, and Watkins is expected to be an AJ Green/Julio Jones-type receiver. A QB taken in the top 5 among those prospects should be expected to be awesome. Given the reports that the Texans were seriously conflicted between Bortles and Clowney, Bruce Arians thought Bortles was the only franchise QB, and even the Patriots wanted Bortles, it's hard not to say that I hope he ends up top 5-10 post-Brady, Manning, and Brees, especially with the weapons we're putting around him. I'm not expecting it, but it's a strong hope at the very least.

Quote:I think the better question would be:

What level should Bortles reach for him to be considered to have been a good pick at 3?

A: Top 3 QB in the league (Post Brady/Manning/Brees)

B. Top 5 QB in the league (Post Brady/Manning/Brees)

C. Top 10 QB in the league (Post Brady/Manning/Brees)

D. Top 16 QB in the league

E. Top 20 QB in the league

F. Top 32 QB in the league
you can put Rodgers in that list he is just as good

Rodgers won't be retiring as soon as those other three.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 06:14 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Quote:I keep seeing this. Yes, he was the quarterback for a super bowl winning team, good for him, so were Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. He wasn't close to being the reason they won that super bowl, and you could argue he wasn't even the 5th best player on that team. He was a game manager that played well enough for them not to lose the game, that's it. Being a super bowl winning QB alone is not enough to boost him into a conversation with QBs like Ryan and Romo, let alone Roethlisberger.

tbh I half expect Wilson to fizzle out in a few years. I think he'll have a good run for another couple years while that defense and the talent around him is still high, but once players start to leave and they go through that lull that guys like Brady and Big Ben are experiencing right now, Wilson will not be able to carry the team.
You keep seeing it because it is true.  Wilson is not a top tier Qb but he is a 2nd or 3rd tier. He made criticial plays down the stretch that won seattle games. 

Dilfer played for perhaps the best defense who has ever played and had a 2,000 yard back on his team.  A coach would be a fool to not play good defense and run the ball.

Brad Johnson was an averge Qb who was playing with a domiant tampa 2 and a fierce front 4. I believe they also had warrick dunn and alstot

Defense wins you championships but you need a solid Qb to contribute.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I don't care as long as the team wins.

Quote:If Bortles is Big Ben, I'd be a bit disappointed in the pick.  I'm not a fan of that guys play style, he holds the ball too long and relies on his size and strength for his success.  I hope Blake turns out to be a better QB than that.

You would be disappointed if Bortles became Roethlisberger?

I am lost for words. I would be down right ecstatic if that was Bortles floor, and he fell on it.

i went with Wilson/kap/ben....they seem to be able to take their teams to a higher level. but i mean I wouldnt mind him being anyone you really listed considering they are all better than what we have had as of late.

Quote:You keep seeing it because it is true.  Wilson is not a top tier Qb but he is a 2nd or 3rd tier. He made criticial plays down the stretch that won seattle games. 

Dilfer played for perhaps the best defense who has ever played and had a 2,000 yard back on his team.  A coach would be a fool to not play good defense and run the ball.

Brad Johnson was an averge Qb who was playing with a domiant tampa 2 and a fierce front 4. I believe they also had warrick dunn and alstot

Defense wins you championships but you need a solid Qb to contribute.

This is true, just ask the Bears who had a great defense but only had Rex Grossman as their QB and tried to win the SB.

They would have had a real chance to win that game if they had any kind of solid play at QB.

Dilfer did make that one big play down the sideline to contribute to his SB win. Of course Dilfer still remains as the only SB winning QB to be cut from his team the following season.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.