Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New stadium naming deal being discussed.

Quote:I don't care what company it is.  I hope they get the most for local revenue as possible.

The company does matter. Who would want to watch games at Publix Stadium? I always hated M&T Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadum, University of Pheonix Stadium, and LP Field as stadium names. I  think EverBank Field is one of the best corporate stadium names in the NFL. However, I do miss the old days when rmost teams did not give companies stadium naming rights.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Oh stop it, you're too much!

FYI real jaguars do purr.

Quote:She actually made a funny!

Here is another one:

Where do people never keep secrets?

Alltel Stadium.

Quote:I say we strike a deal with Trojan for a retractable, sheer roof that lets in light and keeps out rain. Or New-Skin. Either way we get the stadium covered.

We can call it the "Con-Dome"!

Quote:We can call it the "Con-Dome"!

You read my mind.

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014, 10:04 PM by TheDuke007.)

Quote:The company does matter. Who would want to watch games at Publix Stadium? I always hated M&T Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadum, University of Pheonix Stadium, and LP Field as stadium names. I  think EverBank Field is one of the best corporate stadium names in the NFL. However, I do miss the old days when rmost teams did not give companies stadium naming rights.

I've always found the "University of Phoenix" Stadium as the most cheesy.  The University of Phoenix is a for-profit online/satellite campus institution which admits anyone with a high school diploma.  They use the stadium name in order to confuse many people into thinking that the impressive stadium is located on the University of Phoenix campus.  In reality, the University of Phoenix campus consists of a couple of office buildings near the airport.  The University of Phoenix doesn't play football at that stadium.  They don't even have a football team!  They don't have any inter-collegiate sports teams!  They bought the naming rights of the stadium in order to trick people into thinking the "university" is something it's not.

How about Dollar General Stadium?

Or Family Dollar, if you prefer.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:The company does matter. Who would want to watch games at Publix Stadium? I always hated M&T Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadum, University of Pheonix Stadium, and LP Field as stadium names. I  think EverBank Field is one of the best corporate stadium names in the NFL. However, I do miss the old days when rmost teams did not give companies stadium naming rights.
I agree!!!  The stadium naming these days is just pathetic.   Miss the old days of the Meadowlands, Candlestick Park,  Arrowhead Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Superdome, Sliverdome, KingDome.   The Coliseum ,  Etc Etc.....

The Bank and company names just sounds very corporate and non-nostalgic.

Quote:How about Dollar General Stadium?

not sure if serious. 

If yes, then I suppose you just want the Jags to be on the butt end of more punch lines. 

W.W. GAY Stadium......Boy that would give the tacks trolls some ammo.

Quote:How about Dollar General Stadium?

Dollar Tree.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:W.W. GAY Stadium......

That would be where the Packers play.   :woot:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I agree!!! The stadium naming these days is just pathetic. Miss the old days of the Meadowlands, Candlestick Park, Arrowhead Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Superdome, Sliverdome, KingDome. The Coliseum , Etc Etc.....

Its all about the Benjamins baby

Quote:I agree!!!  The stadium naming these days is just pathetic.   Miss the old days of the Meadowlands, Candlestick Park,  Arrowhead Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Superdome, Sliverdome, KingDome.   The Coliseum ,  Etc Etc.....

You wouldn't be saying that if you were on the receiving end of millions and millions of dollars simply to add a corporate name to your stadium, however.

As an example, the city of Jacksonville is losing millions by not selling naming rights to the arena and ballpark.

Quote:As an example, the city of Jacksonville is losing millions by not selling naming rights to the arena and ballpark.

Have they gotten offers? 

Quote:Have they gotten offers? 

Quote:In 2002 a significant battle broke out over attempts to sell naming rights to the still-unfinished arena.

“When we found out the new arena was being named in honor of veterans, we were very happy,” said Pete Dowling, a former Marine and member of the Jacksonville Semper Fidelis Society. “Then we found out certain people inside the Delaney administration wanted to sell the name and were courting some big people. Coca-Cola was one of them.”

Dowling, Lt. Col. Bob Adelhelm and other veterans, including two now-deceased World War II veterans, fought against selling the naming rights and won a major victory when the City Council passed ordinance 2002-428-E.

“The Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena shall not bear the name of any individual or company or any other thing as any part of the title, but shall be designated only as ‘Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena,’ ” the ordinance states.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2013-...s-memorial

An example of Jacksonville small mindedness and lack of foresight. Costing the city millions of dollars.

Quote:An example of Jacksonville small mindedness and lack of foresight. Costing the city millions of dollars.

This is a military town - especially the Navy. (I think when you sign up you're required to promise that you'll retire to Orange Park.)

What politician is going to say "Screw those veterans, we want the name to be Coca-Cola Arena!"

That ain't gonna happen.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014, 10:48 AM by thunderbuns.)

Quote:This is a military town - especially the Navy. (I think when you sign up you're required to promise that you'll retire to Orange Park.)

What politician is going to say "Screw those veterans, we want the name to be Coca-Cola Arena!"

That ain't gonna happen.

Jacksonville Veterans Arena.

Coca-Cola Veterans Arena

Whats the difference?

My father is a 20 year Navy vet. Do you think he is beaming with pride that the arena has Veterans plastered on it and not Coca Cola? I wonder how many of those veterans that care about the name of the arena are complaining about the city's pension problem? Think about it. Say they could have gotten 500k per year from a company. The arena has been open for 10 years. That's 5 million in lost revenue.

Yeah its dumb
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>