Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Article indirectly explains why Bortles is the perfect QB for this team

Quote:He doesn't have an average arm or below average athleticism. Below average build? Yes.

I think he does have an average NFL arm. Definitely not great. To be fair, i think Bortles has an "above average" but not great arm
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 05:06 PM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:I think he does have an average NFL arm. Definitely not great. To be fair, i think Bortles has an "above average" but not great arm

I guess we can argue semantics on the arm. But regardless if you describe it as average, he has sufficient arm to make all the throws that you need in the NFL. So it's not really a knock. Ideally you'd want a cannon like Vick or Stafford, but guys like Brady, Manning, even Rodgers (coming into the NFL) didn't have those either.

You just gotta be able to make all the throws.

I think Teddy's "fall" to 32 wasn't really a fall at all.

If I had insight into everyone's big board, I doubt Teddy was considered a top 10 prospect at all.  

Is he a nice prospect?  Yes he is.

But the whole Teddy going #1 overall or being the best QB in this draft class was IMO purely a media creation.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I guess we can argue semantics on the arm. But regardless if you describe it as average, he has sufficient arm to make all the throws that you need in the NFL. So it's not really a knock. Ideally you'd want a cannon like Vick or Stafford, but guys like Brady, Manning, even Rodgers (coming into the NFL) didn't have those either.

You just gotta be able to make all the throws.

And unfortunately for him, he wasn't able to even showcase that he can make SOME of the throws without any defenders this offseason.  And his glove/no glove issue was another thing that bothered me.  If you can't throw without gloves, fine... but then why train without them "because it was warm in Miami" and why not wear them for your pro day?  Do I want a QB saying "well, next week we play the Dolphins... I guess I'll just leave my gloves at home"....  it's just an unnecessary extra variable that is so fundamental for a QB (his ability to just throw) that IMO is a question mark.  

You gotta have something to separate yourself from the others.  

Quote:And unfortunately for him, he wasn't able to even showcase that he can make SOME of the throws without any defenders this offseason.  And his glove/no glove issue was another thing that bothered me.  If you can't throw without gloves, fine... but then why train without them "because it was warm in Miami" and why not wear them for your pro day?  Do I want a QB saying "well, next week we play the Dolphins... I guess I'll just leave my gloves at home"....  it's just an unnecessary extra variable that is so fundamental for a QB (his ability to just throw) that IMO is a question mark.  

You gotta have something to separate yourself from the others.  

He did say he's learned his lesson, and is going "glove" now.

I think he had to throw without the glove during his pro day. That was a question (due to his hand size), whether he can throw without it. If he threw with the glove, then everyone would be asking "why didn't he throw without the glove?" At least, that way it was answered definitely.

Glove or no glove? Glove.

And as Norv Turner said, plenty of quarterbacks throw with the glove on. If you can throw darts and accurately with the glove and you feel comfortable throwing with the glove, more power to you.

Until the time the NFL outlaws wearing gloves...then it should be a non-issue.

Quote:Good god. Some of you guys are so butt hurt that this team didn't take Crapwater that it's pathetic..

Here.. Feel free ----------> http://vikingsmessageboard.com/ <-----------------------

I see purple.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Ah yes, the ever so great argument of "presence" and "leadership". How did you measure those to determine that Bridgewater doesn't have them?

Bortles pocket presence is good, much better than Manziel's. But he's not better than Teddy in that regard.Blake does a good job of stepping up in the pocket, but he's not as good as Teddy sliding side-to-side.

You stating that Bortles isn't as polished as Bridgewater proves my point exactly...

Yes, Blake has qualities that are better than Manziel's and better than Teddy. But he also has qualities worse than JF, and he also has qualities worse than Teddy's. It goes both ways.
If Bridgewater was so good, he would have been chosen at #3 and not #32. Get over it and support who you got cupcake. 

Quote:If Bridgewater was so good, he would have been chosen at #3 and not #32. Get over it and support who you got cupcake. 

Ah yes this argument never gets old. Clearly Alex Smith was the better quarterback over Aaron Rodgers the year they came into the league, given that Alex Smith was drafted #1...right? That Gabbert > Dalton or Kaepernick, given their draft status, right? Akili Smith over McNabb, right?

And since Blake is now a Jaguar, I do support him and wish he lives up to expectations. Doesn't mean I will make stuff up just to prop him up and act as if he's suddenly the best QB in this draft just because my Jaguars drafted him. He wasn't my #1 QB before, he isn't my #1 QB now. But he is the QB of my team.

One didn't compete at the combine in all qb drills and one did. One had a good Pro day and one didn't. One was drafted 3rd overall and one 32nd. So far one is checking all the boxes and one is ...meh.

It's decided - Blake Bortles is the #1 QB prospect of the 2014 draft.

We have ourselves a grand-slam home-run.  

I truly believe we have something I have always wanted as a football fan, a QB I believe will win the Superbowl.

Alex Smith WAS better when the two were drafted :/
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 11:21 PM by Caldrac.)

I kind of get aggravated when analysts claim that we "reached" for Bortles. The way I look at it is this, we don't know what Cleveland would have done with the number 4th overall pick had we not taken Bortles. It's kind of funny they imediately traded down a few spots after we took our QB. Even if he did manage to fall down to a team like New England who wanted him, or, Houston in RD2, if Caldwell stays true to his word about him sitting this year out, it wouldn't have been any different than what would have occured in New England (HOU, he's a day one starter). And it's not like Haslam and Cleveland's front office is going to publicly come out and say "Man! We really wanted Bortles there at number four!" after they took Manziel with the 22nd overall pick.....

Just a bit funny is all. I give Caldwell credit though. He did the right thing in adding Lee and Robinson in RD2. At least we know he's going to attempt to build this team around Bortles with quality selections and choices at the key offensive positions. I don't mind the selection of Linder as well in RD3. I know Caldwell has taken a lot of heat for that one. But we'll see how that kid pans out. We needed interior help, period. Getting Colvin, Telvin Smith, and Chris Smith were SOLID selections for a young defense that will have time to grow and develop a bit behind the veterans that he signed this off-season. It just made sense overall. For once, a Jaguars draft made SENSE.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."