Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Henne might actually play well this year.

Quote:Kind of like buying your kid a Camaro when he is 15.  Obviously someone has to drive the car for the first year...

I was actually going to start a topic about Henne looking better this year.  Second year in the system, a bunch of new weapons to throw to.  Heck, if we are lucky maybe one of these receivers will be able to catch a timing pass.  That will be better than every single receiver that Smith drafted.  I love Shorts but at times seeing him get hit in the grill with the ball because he was not looking at the QB when it was thrown is annoying.

All in all it was a solid draft.  Can't wait for the season.

If Henne doesn't improve, we're covered. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm still don't believe garbage time.

I doubt he will.  Most we can ask for is that he isn't needed to do much aside from managing the game and he succeeds at doing that.

Quote:We shall see.  I think given the right situation with the tools to succeed, Henne can certainly improve his value significantly.  I'm not suggesting anyone is going to trade a bounty of picks to get him as their starter, but there are teams out there who might be interested in tossing a draft pick our way to secure him as a backup if he does well this year. 

If the line is fixed, and the additions to the receiving corps prove to be beneficial, Henne can indeed have a career year.  We've had this debate before, but the main point has always been that during his career, Henne has never had any sort of stability in his situation until now.  I'm not predicting he becomes a top tier QB, but I feel confident he can set personal marks that would make him an option to trade.  Or, at least it would give us the confidence to know there wouldn't be a massive drop off if he has to step back in for Bortles.

Why won't you just put forth some numbers that you think are realistically obtainable by him that would result in another team in the league wanting to trade for him?

How many TDs, INTs, and yards?

Quote:Why won't you just put forth some numbers that you think are realistically obtainable by him that would result in another team in the league wanting to trade for him?

How many TDs, INTs, and yards?
We've had this conversation before and I've given you numbers.  I would expect to see him put up (if he played 16 games, which I don't expect) 3500-3800 yards passing, 20 TDs, and 15 INTs.  Go ahead and talk about him never having that differential between TD and INT, or how he's never cracked 20 TDs.  It's irrelevant.  It's an opinion, and I think that due to his familiarity with the system, and the improvements the team is making on the roster, he's going to have an opportunity to hit those numbers.  Nothing great, but solid enough. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:We've had this conversation before and I've given you numbers. I would expect to see him put up (if he played 16 games, which I don't expect) 3500-3800 yards passing, 20 TDs, and 15 INTs. Go ahead and talk about him never having that differential between TD and INT, or how he's never cracked 20 TDs. It's irrelevant. It's an opinion, and I think that due to his familiarity with the system, and the improvements the team is making on the roster, he's going to have an opportunity to hit those numbers. Nothing great, but solid enough.
I could certainly see that and if he does we are gonna compete.

Quote:We've had this conversation before and I've given you numbers.  I would expect to see him put up (if he played 16 games, which I don't expect) 3500-3800 yards passing, 20 TDs, and 15 INTs.  Go ahead and talk about him never having that differential between TD and INT, or how he's never cracked 20 TDs.  It's irrelevant.  It's an opinion, and I think that due to his familiarity with the system, and the improvements the team is making on the roster, he's going to have an opportunity to hit those numbers.  Nothing great, but solid enough. 

Sorry, I don't recall that conversation, I just wanted to know what you considered to be the level of play that would result in a team trading for him.

I don't think those numbers would realistically do it, but thanks for letting us know what level of play you think he could achieve.

Quote:Sorry, I don't recall that conversation, I just wanted to know what you considered to be the level of play that would result in a team trading for him.

I don't think those numbers would realistically do it, but thanks for letting us know what level of play you think he could achieve.
If someone is looking for a solid veteran backup, those numbers would be ideal.  Those are average numbers for NFL starters.  To have that from a backup? 

Quote:I could certainly see that and if he does we are gonna compete.

If he'd played the entire season last year, he would have eclipsed the yardage for sure.  It's not unrealistic to expect that kind of improvement if he's the starter the entire season.

Quote:If someone is looking for a solid veteran backup, those numbers would be ideal.  Those are average numbers for NFL starters.  To have that from a backup? 

I think there are too many guys just hanging around on the street for a team to want to give anything up for a guy whose ultimate level is good backup.

Personally, I think it's more likely that Bortles replaces Henne at some point this season once Fisch says he's ready to go than for Henne to even play all year.

It would be almost as hilarious and exhilarating to get a pick for Henne as it was getting a pick for Gabbert.

Quote:I think there are too many guys just hanging around on the street for a team to want to give anything up for a guy whose ultimate level is good backup.

Personally, I think it's more likely that Bortles replaces Henne at some point this season once Fisch says he's ready to go than for Henne to even play all year.

It would be almost as hilarious and exhilarating to get a pick for Henne as it was getting a pick for Gabbert.

And if that's indeed the case next year, and there are veteran options, guess what?  He's under contract for another year, so we've got an experienced backup who is extremely familiar with the system and the personnel.  There's really not a downside here.

Getting anything for Gabbert is a miracle.  I think Henne might surprise you if they dangled him out there in trade. 

Quote:And if that's indeed the case next year, and there are veteran options, guess what? He's under contract for another year, so we've got an experienced backup who is extremely familiar with the system and the personnel. There's really not a downside here.

Getting anything for Gabbert is a miracle. I think Henne might surprise you if they dangled him out there in trade.
exactly. What are your thoughts on garbage time FBT?

I think he will do a lot better than most here will give him credit for. He's in a no-win situation with too many fans.

I am behind him 100% Do great, and teach your heir-apparent a thing or two in the process. :thumbsup:

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:exactly. What are your thoughts on garbage time FBT?

I think just about every QB benefits at some point from garbage time.  In the end, stats are stats.  Not every passing yard is valid only if it's hard earned.  There were enough stretches during Henne's time as the starter where he was able to move the offense when it wasn't garbage time.  Unfortunately, a good portion of his stats were generated when teams had taken leads on us.  That's not his fault, and I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.  Should he be expected to curl up and not take advantage?  Seriously, football is a team sport.  If the defense can't stop the opposition, and they run away with the game because we lacked talent on the offensive side of the ball, how is that on Henne? 

We'll get a good sense for who he is and what he is capable of this year with a retooled line, and more weapons around him.  If he falls on his face, so be it.  We're ready to move on.  If he's able to succeed and get us average to better than average stats, that's gravy. 

Quote:I think he will do a lot better than most here will give him credit for. He's in a no-win situation with too many fans.

I am behind him 100% Do great, and teach your heir-apparent a thing or two in the process. :thumbsup:

Agreed.  He's not as bad as some here want to portray him.  The funny thing is, those who think he's horrible somehow think expecting something pretty much on par with mediocrity means we're expecting big things from the guy.  We've pretty much set the bar at average for Henne.  Nobody is expecting him to be a top tier signal caller.  He can be a solid, productive QB if he's able to limit the mistakes.  A lot of those mistakes came as a result of breakdowns in protection, or with routes.  It wasn't always Henne, but he is always going to get the blame. 

Heck, just saying what I said above will somehow be translated as being a Henne homer. 

Quote:Agreed.  He's not as bad as some here want to portray him.  The funny thing is, those who think he's horrible somehow think expecting something pretty much on par with mediocrity means we're expecting big things from the guy.  We've pretty much set the bar at average for Henne.  Nobody is expecting him to be a top tier signal caller.  He can be a solid, productive QB if he's able to limit the mistakes.  A lot of those mistakes came as a result of breakdowns in protection, or with routes.  It wasn't always Henne, but he is always going to get the blame. 

Heck, just saying what I said above will somehow be translated as being a Henne homer. 
Homer. Tongue

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Homer. Tongue
Told ya!  :thanks:

Quote:Homer. Tongue

Somebody needs to go to sensitivity training. Oh wait, nevermind.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.