Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question for the board

I told everyone I know that I wouldn't pass judgment on the Bortles pick until I saw what we did with the subsequent picks. We did what we needed to do and then some. We got our QB toys and protection. Excited to see what we do from here. Caldwell has a plan, that is for sure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yes. 

As much as I was skeptical about the Bortles pick initially, grabbing your franchise QB in the first round, when he was expected to be a first rounder, is never bad value. 

Lee was graded out as the 19th best player by one site that I saw, and was pretty much received a first round grade by most. Its all about the knee that will make or break this pick. 

Allen Robinson was pretty much drafted close to where he was expected to go, and I would have MUCH rather the Jags drafted him, than a player like Landry who might have been rated a little bit higher, but Robinson is a better fit for what WE needed at the time of the selection. 

Linder is probably the only player that some could consider a "reach" but IMO, not really. Apparently coaches graded this guy to be a better player than where he seemed to be mocked by many of these fan mock draft sites. Also, by the time you get to that point of the draft - you just go get YOUR players - taking a player a little bit above where they might be perceived to go isn't really a big deal at that point, especially when you're talking about players that project into your starting 22. 

I flat out love this draft so far!

Might be my most favorite Jags draft ever. 
seriously someone must have hacked TMD's account. This is not the same dude!

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 11:46 AM by rollerjag.)

Great value, every pick. Bortles could have been the top pick and you'd have few saying it was a reach. Two WRs with value arguably higher than where they were picked, and a guard picked right about where he belonged.

The best thing about the first two days is that Dave is setting Bortles up to succeed, not fail.

Dave did a great job, but I cannot drink Dave Juice, too. There's only so much man juice I can handle, and Gus keeps me topped off.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 11:47 AM by Best84.)

Quote:Great value, every pick. Bortles could have been the top pick and you'd have few saying it was a reach. Two WRs with value arguably higher than where they were picked, and a guard picked right about where he belonged.

Dave did a great job, but I cannot drink Dave Juice, too. There's only so much man juice I can handle, and Gus keeps me topped off.
Giggity Giggity

It's fun to enjoy a draft this much.

I love all of our picks so far. We have immediate starters w/the exception of Bortles but it won't be long before he take over the reins. We seriously drafted for need in accordance to Caldwell's board. I can't wait to see whom Caldwell picks today...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:^This I agree with.  Dave is a modified needs drafter, best available player at a position of need. He's done that so far and he did that last year for the most part.  It is't that simple of course, they seem to take the best guy, that fits a need, that fits into their system or 'plan' of how they want to do things.  
I'm not quite ready to talk about this just yet....but I'll come back to this.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I could care less if Bortles was a reach. If Gus and Dave firmly believe that he's our guy going forward, then that's not a reach at all.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:seriously someone must have hacked TMD's account. This is not the same dude!

In deed... I'm considering filing a Hacker's Report...

NH3...
"AZANE"

I think they did a good job to get the 2 WR they did in the 2nd round.  I think both of those players were on college teams with issues that caused a down turn in production.  That coupled with a deep draft at the position means they were available later than probably would have been.  The Bortles pick surprised me, I did not expect it.  I like the pick though, and all the 'reach' talk is speculation.

Jamie Dukes just said Marqise Lee has a chance to be among the NFL's top 100 players next year.

Quote:I think they did a good job to get the 2 WR they did in the 2nd round.  I think both of those players were on college teams with issues that caused a down turn in production.  That coupled with a deep draft at the position means they were available later than probably would have been.  The Bortles pick surprised me, I did not expect it.  I like the pick though, and all the 'reach' talk is speculation.

Robinson didn't have any down turn, he had his best season, 1400+ yards. 

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:^This I agree with.  Dave is a modified needs drafter, best available player at a position of need. He's done that so far and he did that last year for the most part.  It is't that simple of course, they seem to take the best guy, that fits a need, that fits into their system or 'plan' of how they want to do things.  

Yeah, and thats what Caldwell learned, more so from Polian than Dimitroff. 

Quote:IMO...

Bortles was a slight reach, but he was Dave's highest rated QB who may not have been there later.

Lee was a great value in the second round.

Robinson was a good value later in the second round.

Linder was a slight reach for me in the third round, but there was a run on starting capable guards.
yeah. this^

Quote:I'm asking this now while it's fresh...but not with the benefit of hindsight.

Do you think the Jaguars have gotten good value with the draft picks after the first three rounds?

Why or why not?

Yes.  I think Bortles went about where expected, but the receivers were good value.  To an extent I think that was expected, given the depth at that position, but we sure needed it.  If you're grabbing guys with first round (or borderline first round) talent in the second, I like the value.

I want to revisit the value discussion.

The consensus seems to be that the Jaguars did a great job in the draft and got value with the picks.

How much value?

Well, if you examine each pick when it was made and compare it to where the player was widely projected to go, you will see how much value we got.

1.  Bortles-For some reason, people thought Bortles was a reach.  But most projections actually had him as a top ten pick, with the USA Today draft publication projecting him to be selected 4th overall.  Speculation in April had him possibly going to Houston #1 overall because of the connections with Bill O' Brien.  Let's call it even. (0)

2.  Lee-The consensus is Lee is a first round talent that inexplicably fell to the second round.  Both USA today and Lindy's/NFL DraftScout.com had a first round grade on him.  The commentators on NFL Network said the same thing.  We got in in the second.  A 1 round difference. (+1)

2A. Robinson-Most of the projections I saw of him had him as a 2nd round pick.  At least one had him as a 1st round pick (USAToday projected him to go to Carolina at 28).  Lindy's/NFLDraftscout had him as a 2nd round pick, ranking him 34th out of the top 100 players and projected him to go 35th to Cleveland.  We got him at around 63, IIRC.  We'll call this a half round gain (+.5)

3.  Linder-Based upon what I've seen of him, Linder was not highly regarded.  Lindy's/NFLDraftScout.com had him as a 5th-6th round pick  USAToday didn't have him that high.  GBN Report had him rated 184th overall, which would put him in the 5th or 6th round.  Let's say this was a reach and lost two rounds (-2).

4.  Colvin-Colvin was widely regarded as a late first/early 2nd round pick prior to his injury, and seemingly every analyst offering an opinion of the pick said the same thing.  Charley Casserly lauded the pick afterwards.  Even with the injury, USAToday had him with a 3rd to 4th round pick.  Call it "even" for now...with the potential to be much higher. (0)

5.  T. Smith-NFLDraftScout.com ranked him as a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft preview mag.  USA today had him in the 4th or 5th round.  GBN report had him listed 103rd overall, which translates to a high 4th round pick.We landed him in the 5th round.  Let's call it (+1)

5A-C. Smith-Nfldraftscout had him rated as a 3rd round pick, and USAToday had him as a late 2/early 3rd round pick.  GBN listed him as the 94th best player, which translates into a late 3rd round pick.  We landed him in the late 5th round.  Let's call that a savings of 2 rounds (+2).

6.  Bowanko-I've got nothing.

7.  Storm Johnson-Mayock had him as a 4th round pick.  NFLdraftscout had him 5th-6th round.  USA Today had him as a 4th-5th round pick.  We got him in the 7th.  Let's say at least a +2 for Storm Johnson.

UDFA

Rashaud Reynolds & Marcel Jensen-at the end of the NFL draft, Mayock listed his best remaining available players.  Both of these guys had 4th round grades by Mayock.  USA Today listed Jensen as a 5th-6th round pick, while NFLDraftscout listed him as a 5th round pick.  Reynolds got a 4th round grade from nfldraftscout.com and a 4-5th round grade from USA today. 

Reynolds (+3.5)

Jensen (+2)

To me, that shows a ton of value on a pick by pick basis with the skill players.

I would say this much about the OL picks.

1.  I think Fisch's experience with Linder sort of mitigates the "reach" factor for me, because he knows his strengths, weaknesses, scheme fit and work ethic directly.

2.  The smaller OLs tend to rate lower than bigger ones.